“A Great Experiance”

Ranked #154 of 2,383 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Attentive staff but not over the top. A first time experience since the new renovations, are great.
Always busy and need to book ahead

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We like to eat early and where the first table to arrive, we were welcomed immediately upon arrival and shown to our table. Some reviewers have said they found the staff patronising, but my experience on the day was that the staff were very welcoming and down to earth. I did like that the environment was nice, but casual, and we didn't feel that it was poncy or intimidating, given the quality of the food.

I ordered a virgin cocktail with lime and lychee (I don't remember the name), which was surprisingly refreshing.

My wife and I both had the Veal Schnitzel, they had a special on the night with anchovies like the Germans do, it was excellent! We had the green beans with almonds (8) and fries (8) which were also very nice. Our schnitzels were perfectly done and not excessively oily as some reviewers claimed (keeping in mind that this is a fried dish)

I had a black doris tart for dessert which was a bit average.

The venue was quiet when we arrived, but by the time we left (8:15pm) they were full and the noise levels had risen, but it wasn't too bad. It was a Thursday and they were packed, so it's clearly a good idea to book.

A good date night venue. A little expensive, but good venue, food and service.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I dined on Valentines Day. On arrival I was shown to our table while hubby parked the car and I received a delicious cocktail while I waited as part of the set menu for Valentines Day. The staff were attentive and knowledgeable. The restaurant was at full capacity so we did have a wait somewhat between dishes but I only mention this because each course was well worth any wait! I had the goats cheese souffle for entree and will always order this going forward because it was simply sinful. Next I had the snapper for my main and it was cooked to perfection. Dessert has to have a special rave - a must-try dish is the churros con chocolate. Several people at the table next to us changed their dessert order when they saw mine arrive. That was a good decision because it was incredible! They have recently renovated and dramatically expanded the restaurant capacity. We sat in the new area and it was just lovely. I can't say enough about this place - out of all the amazing restaurants Auckland has to offer this is hands down my favourite.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We eat at The Engine Room with regularity, I love it that they have a range of excellent specials but that we can also get an Engine Room favourite dish from the menu. The service is always attentive but not fussy and the team all seem to be having a great time. The twice backed Goats cheese soufflé is sensational and a must try from the menu, as is the simplicity but beautifully cooked steak frites. One of the best restaurant chicken dishes was had here also.
If you get good food, The Engine Room is all about perfect execution and great flavour, in a fun and casual environment, and should be a must have on any foodies list. I WISH I could cook this well at home!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Supposed to be a really good place to eat - I was disappointed. We booked ages in advance, but still got put on a tiny table next to the door, so I froze everytime someone came in and out. Service was slow (too many people dining, too few wait staff), we didn't even bother with dessert as we'd probably have had to sit there for another hour waiting. The starters and mains were nice once they arrived, but not so special that it made everything else worth while. I don't think I'll bother again.

1  Thank Outinthemiddaysun