“Mikano degustation”

Mikano
Ranked #68 of 2,353 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Mikano, Auckland's most exciting dining experience.Mikano Restaurant sits directly above the heliport at Mechanics Bay overlooking the sparkling Auckland Harbour. You'll love the stunning selection of fresh seafood, fine meats and local produce, perfectly complimented by a fine wine list.With plenty of parking and close proximity to the city and motorways, Mikano is the perfect place for friends to meet.For an intimate evening, a relaxing lunch, or your next fantastic function, make sure you visit Mikano.
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our first visit to this restaurant - we took advantage of a special degustation meal offered on Grabone. The service was excellent a waiter hovering in the vicinity of our area of the room anticipating customers' needs. An interesting location right on the water and beside a working port and the rescue helicopter base. The food was delicious - I could be picky and find fault but overall we enjoyed our meals which arrived at the table at well timed intervals even as the place became busy around 8pm. The entrance is less than auspicious but I judged the establishment on the food and the service rather than the aesthetics

Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's all good here - I would like to not like it as it is all glass and should have no atmosphere but actually I do really like it and the food is great. Service is great - you get to watch the rescue helicopters in action and it has a nice feel to the place.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

A group of us dined at Mikano for a Sunday lunch in August 2012. It has been 3 years since my last visit to Mikano, and I remember it as a somewhat trendy place to go, but definitely a 4-5 star restaurant. My expectations for a restaurant of this calibre are simply: excellent service, immaculate interior décor, and outstanding food. I was somewhat disappointed to find this is no longer true of Mikano
The entrance to Mikano is up a set of stairs that were nothing short of filthy, including the stainless steel wall panelling that has not been cleaned for some time and shows the remnants of finger prints, dirt, water marks and what looks like bits of food smeared on it. Not a good start but figured once inside I would get the 5 star experience.
We were seated in the bar by the Maître d’/bartender who very much gives the impression that you have somehow interrupted his day by showing up. After failing to come over to take our drinks order my friend approached the bar to order a bottle of wine for our group and was handed the glasses to carry back to the table herself, the bar tender followed and simply plonked the bottle of wine down on our table and walked away. No offer to pour it what so ever. Given the large mark ups that Mikano places on its wine list was it unreasonable to expect some service with the delivery of wine?
Once seated at our table for lunch we did admire the lovely view outside of the restaurant but I still couldn’t help notice the lack lustre appearance of the décor of Mikano. The floor is about 2 years overdue for a varnish and tidy up, the table cloths haven’t been ironed and have prominent creases, and the cutlery & glasses weren’t as clean as they should be. My cutlery had water marks on it and all the glasses on the table had small amounts of dust in them, possibly from a tea towel?
The upside to our visit was the food is tasty and very well presented with the exception of the duck being slightly over cooked and possibly not paired well with a corn mash, and the “hazelnut meringue” had a texture closer to biscotti.
Overall, I think Mikano is letting itself down, and given the wide variety of excellent dining options in Auckland they really need to up their game.

2  Thank thelawsons_nz
Reviewed August 8, 2012

A great location combined with great food. It was a damp cold night but the restaurant was warm, the view over the heli pad and harbour fascinating and one of the best oyster seafood chowders I have ever eaten.

We had chosen the special $35 winter menu which included two courses and a glass of wine and felt very happy with that choice. As a group of ladies the amount of food was just right - men or big eaters may have needed to order another course.

The service was excellent and all round we had a very good night.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to visit Mikano to try the 6 course degustation menu that I had bought on Grab One and were delighted with the whole evening. We had a table by the window overlooking the container wharf and helicopter terminal, with stunning views across the harbour to Devonport and enjoyed the excellent service that this restaurant provides.

The food was supurb, although some of the courses were tiny, but for the price we paid, what was served was pretty good value. The choice of wine was extensive.

The food being served off the a la carte menu on surrounding tables looked fabulous. And I overheard a couple of people commenting to each other about how good the food was.

I'll definitely be coming back here.