“Good food but expensive and can be rude”

Grand Park Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #614 of 2,358 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We went to this restaurant for yum char. Great food but expensive for yum char.

We were very dissappointed with the service in our visit. We were aware of the time limit given to us which we understood and appreciated their busy time. But they didnt respect our time as much as we respected theirs. They cleaned the table before we even finished our meals and we were rushed to finish off. Our time wasnt even expired and still had 15 or so minutes.

What was also appalling, the food that we wanted only came out towards the end of the time allocated to us and yet they rushed us to finish off our meals. We thought it was unfair.

I would have given 5 stars but the service in our experience weight the rate down to 3 stars.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We frequent this yum cha institution every time we come to Auckland. The food is always brilliant-however we were treated so poorly by the staff working there today that we will NEVER return! We struggled to even be served drinks, tea was not replenished and the servers with the carts were clearly avoiding us, and the tables surrounding us, in favour of serving the other side of the restaurant who were primarily Chinese families. We ordered plates, which never arrived, and upon complaining to the front desk the cashier just laughed and said she will tell the manager so they can 'have a go at the staff' which in itself demonstrates the competency level of the staff they have in place there. There are so many other quality food offerings in Auckland-don't waste your time here.

1  Thank NDS_GC
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Auckland has many good Chinese restaurants. Grand Park seems to be popular as it is busy for yum cha and dinner, but I really cannot recommend it except, perhaps for location in the central suburbs and the ample parking. The decor is quite nice, although it seems very packed to maximise seat numbers. Food is OK, but not outstanding and at the higher end pricewise. Yum cha choices were not bad but limited selection and a bit slow coming through.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Been coming here for Yum Cha lunch and birthday dinners on off over the years.
However I don't think we are going to come back again.
The first time (poss 7 yrs ago) I booked a table for lunch for 12.noon and didn't get it until after 1pm. That was my first experience and was clearly not impressed then.
Decided to come back a few more times to give them a chance but still think they can do better.
What prompted me to write this was after our last dining experience. As usual the booking system is a mayhem, each group were given a ticket and staff called out the numbers over a loud speaker. Waited 30 minutes. Eventually we were told to share a big table with three other groups. OK accepted it as was a busy sunday. Asked three times for a pot of tea and was glad we finally got it.
Normally they charge $1.50 or $2.00 per person for tea regardless of how many diners per table. I queried the tea charges for my little girl as she always had her own water bottle to drink from.
This was my third time asking this same question, told the cashier that it was not a good business practice. Each time I get stupid answers like "we have to charge for sitting bla bla..." hello this is a restaurant right, do you expect your customers to stand up to eat their food? I am not disputing the small fee but how can a restaurant get away with this? We have put up with the waiting time but not this attitude.

1  Thank MitzygirlNewZealand
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We went for lunch with a business group of three. This is a big restuarant: we arrived at 11:30 and got the last table, so go early or be prepared to wait. I see that many of the negative comments from others are about having to wait. Get over it. Go to Yum Cha in HK and expect to queue for an hour if the place is popular.
The food is worth the visit. A wide selection of Yum Cha dishes, many many more than at most restaurants and all were good. Service was efficient but again don't expect to be fawned over. either take what's on the trolley or don't.