“Underwhelmed”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have been going to Zarbo for years and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by my recent experience. I ordered breakfast which including coffee came to about $18.50. I was one of 2 people in the café and was starting to wonder if they had forgotten my order when after receiving my coffee it took about 15-20 minutes for the breakfast to come. When it did I received 2 very small poached eggs on one thick piece of toast. The crusts were too hard to cut with my knife - and in fact one of them went flying off the plate when I tried to cut it and the very attractive swirl of butter was so hard and cold it was impossible to use it to butter the toast. I was disappointed.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Horrormoviechick

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Best Breakfast Ever”
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had the best breakfast ever this morning at Zarbo.
Absolutely delicious. We will be going back with friends very soon.
Well done Zarbo AAA

Visited May 2014
2 Thank K1p1Granny
Auckland
“woeful service”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Although not busy at 1.25pm on this Saturday, Zarbo reached a new low in Kiwi schoolgirl service.

My wife's omelette was conveyed out of the kitchen by a very young girl. We watched her (not suspecting for a moment that the meal was ours!) and she drifted here and she drifted there, she had a yarn with another waitress, she drifted back to the central counter, she showed no sign of urgency or awareness that the meal would be getting colder and colder. She grinned a lot. She dallied. She circumnavigated the café again.

After 10 minutes (timed) she eventually realized that our table had the required number. It was always in plain view.

Result= one cold omelette, great surprise at the complaint.

As for my meal? They forgot to cook it at all. Got a grudging refund.

What a disaster. Why do cafes hire children as wait staff?

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ge90
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“One of the best delicatesan cafes i Auckland”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Zarbo has been around for more than 10 years large space with excellent fresh salads. Good tea and coffee and plenty of seating. Weekdays you will struggle to get in after noon.

• Visited August 2013
“Great deli and store!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is a great little place, It is a cafe, a deli and a store. Great selections of breakfasts and lunchs, deli foods and speciality goods for sale. Off the main broadway strip so not really busy, but beware, lots of people know and love Zarbo's so it is often busy.

Visited December 2012