“Great service!”

Ranked #52 of 2,353 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located on the first floor of the Hilton Auckland, FISH brings to life a new partnership between the world renowned Hilton brand and the expertise of the Nourish Group of restaurants headed in the kitchen by Gareth Stewart.Restaurant Head Chef Fraser Shenton and Restaurant Manager Oliver Watkinson lead the team of FISH with the knowledge and experience gathered working in international and national top eateries. FISH is about bringing the best New Zealand produce to the table in the best location right on the waterfront.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hotel on Princes Wharf in Auckland for a company organised event. We enjoyed the breakfast at Fish Restaurant within the hotel. My wife was recovering from the flu and asked the duty manager (Vijay) for a cup of hot lemon & honey to drink which is not a drink you would normally request. He did not hesitate to arrange that and came back not long afterwards with a teapot with hot water and fresh lemons and small pottles of honey. To make things even better, he gave my wife extra slices of lemon in a takeway coffee cup and more pottles of honey so she could make up further drinks later on - very thoughful for a small cost to Fish but huge value to us! And to boot, we had the cooked breakfast which featured an extensive range and topped off with omelettes made to order. The location overlooking the harbour was the icing on the cake. Well done Fish Restaurant!

1  Thank FPL10

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Sunday lunch we enjoyed a five course degustation menu courtesy of a premium deal from one of those popular daily deal websites. I was advised, by the friendly Maitre'd when making the reservation, the menu had been devised by the Chef especially for this deal, we were very lucky to secure a voucher as they were limited and we were promised we would have a great time. We went along with very high expectations and we weren't disappointed. I'm not a huge fan of fish and seafood, so it's highly unlikely we would ever have dined at Fish under normal circumstances. Not only was our menu a real winner, particularly the interesting oyster cappucino and the dramatic Nitro Tiramusu, but the meals coming out to the other tables peaked our interest as well. The service was excellent for the most part, one lass didn't have the same timing and precision as the lads who more than made up for her (hopefully) inexperience. Overall, our afternoon was excellent and it warrants a repeat trip in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

the freshness and flavours were delightful for a reasonably price meal - a lovely surprise that will have me coming back

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Everything about this restaurant scream "I'm trying to be fine dining". Unfortunately it misses the mark in a number of areas.

The Hilton hotel itself is very strange. It's isn't a very luxurious entrance along the dock and isn't the best of first impressions. The Fish restaurant itself is very nicely decorated. However, we were put in an area of about 7-8 tables that look out on to a large concrete balcony that seems to be a public area. It basically had no view at all and they should have just closed the curtains and put us facing in to the restaurant.

The menu consisted of 1 amuse bouche, 2 starters, 1 main and 1 dessert. The amuse bouche was an oyster & tio pepe soup. Quite nice but nothing amazing. We ordered some bread with it that came with a very strange tomato oil mouse and balsamic. Just normal oil and balsamic would have been much nicer.

The 1st starter was a cured salmon, sour cream mouse and red pepper paint. The red pepper paint was purely there for aesthetics because it was too subtle to taste. The dish was poorly balanced and not seasoned at all.

The 2nd starter were really nice scallops with a turnip and orange puree. There was apparently parsley in there somewhere but I couldn't taste it. It also came with a bizarre dollop of salad leaves that didn't belong on the plate and were so strong they over powered the other delicate flavours. This dish is normally $27 and for 2 scallops that's outrageous.

The main was seared tuna with a miso ginger glaze, tempura scampi roll and pickled courgettes. The tuna and scampi rolls were lovely but didn't complement each other at all. At $35 this dish just doesn't meet the standards that you would expect.

The dessert was nitro tiramisu. It was prepared in dry ice in front of you and it was very impressive but pointless. The chef tells you that it's done in order to freeze the alcohol in the dessert but the only thing that they then go on to freeze is the mascarpone mousse ball. The amaretto was hidden in the middle of it and still liquid. None the less it was quite a nice deconstructed frozen tiramisu.

Overall, the dishes were very poorly balanced. Not a sign of a top quality chef in my opinion. To top it off the wrong bottle of wine was added to our bill so they tried to charge us more and it then took 15 minutes to sort out. Plus the wine is nearly 3 times the shop price with is extortionate.

Fish is almost the perfect example of what many top hotels try to achieve in their restaurants. An underwhelming attempt at fine dining. My guess is that it's because big chain hotels don't have owners on site who put their blood, sweat and tears in to making the restaurant work.

1  Thank CarlEdinburgh
Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I ate here last night and had quite high hopes for a special experience, but unfortunately we left a bit disappointed. The evening didn't get off to a great start when we walked in to the restaurant and were ignored by not one, but two members of staff who walked right by us without even acknowledging us. The service throughout the evening all seemed a bit forced and the food was nice enough but was a bit hit and miss. Both main courses were very nice (snapper and pork belly) but my starter of goats cheese croquette with beetroot mousse had too much mousse and not enough croquette, and my dessert of chocolate mousse was a bit bland. Euro and The Foodstore are similar in terms of price but way surpass Fish in terms of food and atmosphere so I would recommend going there instead if you're looking for something a bit special.

1  Thank Snickershey
HiltonGuy2, Manager at Fish, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for the feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your experience was less than optimal on your recent visit to us. I can assure you that the few less than positive reviews help up to improve all our diners experience.

Unfortunately, when my guests do have cause for complaint - it is almost always at the rare times we are busier than anticipated. Unfortunately, your visit coincided with such an event. For this I appologise.
With regard to your meal, I am surprised to hear that it fell below your expectations. We are very proud of Shane Yardley's food, and have had very favourable responses to the Auckland Restaurant Month menu, which has given us the opportunity to give the FISH experience to a wider audience.
As a general point, we, like any good restaurant are keen to hear about any problems you experience while you are dining. We always treat direct feedback in a sensitive manner, and do our best to ensure diners leave happy.
If you would like to get in touch, I would be happy to discuss the possibility of getting you back to FISH and changing your mind!

Kind regards,