“Average food”

Vinnies Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I went there because we bought the grabone voucher. 8-Course Degustation Menu, $60 per person. For the price we pay, it is acceptable. To be honest, the food was so-so. The Atmosphere and the service is very good.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was my first visit to Vinnies,and the cuisine certainly lives up to the restaurant's reputation.
The menu is not huge, however it is filled with intense flavours and adventurous (for me!) combinations of tastes.
I had the half dozen Waiheke (can't remember the name of the bay) Island oysters-natural with "edible sand".The oysters were divine-but for me the edible sand didn't add anything other than a crunchy taste.I had the hare specialty for my main-it presented not at all as I expected, but was divine in taste.Lastly I had a beautiful chocolate pudding that was wonderfully gooey inside.
The atmosphere was friendly, the chef came out and talked to us about the food that was at the table-and not in a pretentious way.Great place for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Vibrant restaurant, classy, friendly and knowledgable service. Top menu and meal,cooked to perfection. Superb wine list. Just a great dining experience.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

While the atmosphere and decor at Vinnies is pleasant, it is not a hip and happening place, but I don't think it needs to be. Sometimes you want to go to a restaurant that is friendly, and where the experience is all about the food, and the company you are keeping (rather than queuing at the "restaurant du jour" in the frigid cold outside noisy spaces downtown). Vinnies is that place and I think fills the niche well. I consider Clooney, the French Cafe and Merediths to be in that niche too. While those restaurants have the edge on style and atmosphere, I think Vinnies wins in the food stakes (service is comparable across all but Vinnies is a touch friendlier). The food at Vinnies was completely consistent. I have been stunned by some amazing courses at the other three places but as the degustation has worn on we have experienced some ho hum courses too, and have been overstuffed well before the dessert plates have come around. At Vinnies, each course was as good as the last, the wine was well matched and unpretentious (a very good thing) and we ended the night feeling comfortable.

Reviewed July 22, 2012

A great experience shared with friends, could not fault a thing & its time we went back