“Food and opera”

Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had overseas guests recently and entertained them at Totos. Food is rather old school and a bit variable. One of our party had an indelible special (too salty) but they were very good at apologising and did not charge for it. Others had nice if not all that inspiring food. Some dishes excellent and generous portions (calamari), but portion size varied also. Opera was very good but our (American) guests were a bit disconcerted to be told to be quiet during the singing. We were also a bit disconcerted to be charged a $10 cover charge per person for the opera. Maybe the person doing the booking had been told about this but was a shock to us. Nice atmosphere though at the restaurant and I thought singing first rate. Altogether a fun evening and a bit different.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I had a great meal at Totos on the 15th of Sept 12. The restaurant was recommended to us by Kevin from Artisan Fine Wine Suppliers. Roy and the team were great and the food and ambiance matched the service. Sensational and will definitely go there again when next in Auckland. Anton

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I went to Toto 1 week ago, with my wife and 2 friends. We were looking for comforting food and with a nice ambiance because our life is really stressful at the moment.

So, what the best that an Italian restaurant. Toto went beyond my expectations. It was a really great evening.
- The atmosphere is warm,
- The waitresses (there is no waiter, expect the manager) are professional, friendly and very efficient even if most of them are probably student.
- The food was really excellent, especially the raviolis and the gnocchis. I do not remember the last time I have eaten good gnochis. Now it is from Toto :) Some other dishes might be not as fantastic as these ones but ther are quite good.
- 2 great opera singers song 4 times during the diner (just the right duration).

Since I arrived in Auckland 3 years, I am quite disappointed with most of "Famous" restaurants. All the time, the venues are very nice, critics says that the food is fantastic, etc ... At the end, most of the time, the food itself is just average (or even less) and the price is ridiculously expensive. THIS WAS NOT THE CASE WITH TOTO. IT IS A REALLY GREAT RESTAURANT AND I EVEN DID NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THE BILL.

1 point to improve: The deserts were good but not exceptional. But to be fare, deserts in Auckland "Famous" restaurants are just !@#$%^*I&*. So, once again, Toto is better than most of them.

I am coming back soon when I need to relax with great pasta. Last time I have eaten great Italian dishes was in La Spezia, 6 years ago.

Thanks Toto for this evening. It was great.

L.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Have only been once but the food and service was great, though it was quiet (it was a weekday lunchtime though!). I have heard others recommend many times too.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

WOw I was blown away here. Lots of luscious things to try in small plates, flavours and service to die for