“A sensational fine dinning experience involving all your senses”
Review of The Grove

The Grove
Ranked #2 of 2,439 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2014

My husband and I visited Auckland for the first time In April 2014. We are great cooks and eat out a lot in many different locations worldwide. The night before leaving I typed into my search engine "the top 10 restaurants in Auckland"and read a a few reviews on The Grove. It looked impressive but I did not take any details of where it was. Arriving in Auckland the next day and after a walk around the harbour we decided to head out for dinner. In passing we walked passed The Grove and decided to have dinner here. What an enjoyable experience it was! Firstly the staff. So polite and attentive. Took care of our coats and jackets. The decor is, simple, old world building with clean cut modern furnishings retaining an old world charm. Dim lighting and comfortable seating. The menu: great selection of a la carte that appears to have been thought through to fit in with the season and what is in season. When each course arrived it was simply beautifully presented to excite your eyes and titillate the palate. The tastes, textures and flavors all worked well. Everything on the plate had its place and needed to be there. This continued with each course. We dined for about 3 hours in a restaurant that was full for a Thursday night, but we were never rushed. The staff were always there to fill our glasses and answer our questions but they were unobtrusive. They even gave us names of other fine dinning restaurants for the rest of our stay. When we go back to Auckland we will definitely going back to The Grove. It was the start of a delightful holiday in Auckland. Our sincere thanks to management, chef and all the staff. Dr Ashley Van Houten & Mr Angel Carrasco.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,366)

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Phone (09)-368-4129. Located in St. Patrick's Square, on Wyndham Street, one block west of Queen Street, near the wharf area, directly next to St Patrick's church. Elegant, simple dining room, long and narrow, two table wide, thus not noisy. The service achieved that perfect balance between attentiveness and restraint, but if invited, the staff and owners will engage you in stimulating conversation about the food, and anything else. Great bar, cocktails, wine list one of the best, after dinner liquors and wines. Great fresh fish, lamb, in-season fruits and vegetables, great desserts: try the feijoa fruit sorbet if available. They have a companion restaurant, Baduzzi ("Italian-inspired" cuisine) on the north wharf at the corner of Jellicoe Street and Fish Lane, that would also be worth checking out.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We came here for our wedding anniversary and had one of the best dinners out we have ever experienced (and we have fine dined all around Auckland)!

Great service by well trained, attentive and highly professional staff through to the most fabulous duck (the flavor combinations were stunning) I've had in years make this one of the best overall dining experiences we have had.

They were very accommodating with our specific requests as well and the little surprise to celebrate our special occasion was thoughtful and tasty!

We'll be back!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our dinner was ruined by the grumpy rude behaviour of a member of staff.
Totally runied our night out which we dont get very often.
Food was very average as well
Will never be back or recomend.

6  Thank TheSandsWaiheke
Michael D, Manager at The Grove, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

I am sincerely sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us reviewer and even more alarmed to hear that it was due to the attitude of your waitress. Our team members are normally consummate professionals and genuinely courteous, happy people. To hear that your experience was so negatively affected by one of them concerns me deeply. I would greatly appreciate more in depth feedback regarding your perception on our service. Please email me with your contact information so we can work through this and appropriate address these issues. My email address is michael@thegroverestaurant.co.nz. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving this.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Fine dining at its best! The waiters are knowledgeable and tentative but not intrusive. The food is beautifully presented, with flavour combinations ready to surprise and delight. A restaurant definite amongst my favourites.