“Was it worth it”

Ranked #6 of 2,349 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We have been wanting to try grove for a long time and with an event worth celebrating we made our way into town in awful weather.We had a very warm welcome a shown to a very nice table. We decided to try the extensive tasting menu together with nice bottle if wine. The surrounding are excellent with good space between tables. The service was faultless. We both had mixed reactions on the food. Most seemed to have confusing tastes ... Like they were trying to cover everything on one plate. Was it worth the money..sorry no. The French Cafe is still the place to go when you want yo experience this kind of eating. We will go back just yo try the the standard menu.

1  Thank kruuza
There are newer reviews for The Grove

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Definitely the best degustation experience we have ever had. Staff welcoming and warm throughout. The food was magical.

1  Thank mel365
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went for a birthday, and did the tasting menu with wine matching. The food was amazing, and the wait staff were very good at explaining what it was to us in terms that we would understand! They also were happy to bring me a substitute course for red meat course, while my partner had the red meat still. The wine matches were great, and for one which had a beer match, the wait staff managed to find me a wine alternative. When we had to wait a while between two courses, the staff were very apologetic and "upgraded" our next wine match for us. The wait staff were great, they made sure we didn't want for anything, but also gave us privacy. While the meal was expensive, for a special occasion it was worth it. We are definitely heading back here again for another special occasion. If you want a memorable meal in Auckland, go to The Grove!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The Grove is located next to the historic Saint Patrick’s Cathedral in the heart of Auckland & within easy walking distance from our hotel.

We were apart of a large conference group & we all decided to have the à la carte menu. For entrée I ordered the crayfish & chervil cannelloni with king crab & mache leaves which was absolutely delicious.

For the main I opted for the crispy duck breast & leg, duck fat carrots, pickled dates, spiced pear & cipollini fondants which again was very tasty. The table shared the leaf salad, walnut & apple dressing, & the seasonal vegetables w café de paris butter & pancetta.

The best part of the meal was the desserts. I shared two desserts with my hubby the soufflé with pineapple, pistachio, white beer ice-cream & the assortment of sorbets & ice-cream with warm vanilla madeleines both were heavenly!

Overall :
The other guests on our table equally enjoyed their meals too. The décor is polished & the atmosphere is warm & very pleasing with efficient staff. Although we did find it expensive however; the sweets certainly were the highlight of our dining experience. The Grove Restaurant was the perfect setting for our international business dinner.

2  Thank Ellemay
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I knew little about this restaurant outside of their website and the reviews on Tripadvisor so I had no real idea what to expect when I turned up for my meal.

I left very impressed with the quality of the food and wine along with the efficient and friendly service.

I had the degustation with matching wines. Each course was executed well with 1 of the courses being a double dish with two wine matches. A unique approach to cooking an ingredient two ways.

The central location is easy to get to.

The Grove is a great choice for dining in Central Auckland.

2  Thank El_Greenholio