“Auckland's finest”
Review of The French Cafe

The French Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The French Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 2,359 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We took a leisurely stroll from our hotel and ended up at the French Café for dinner. We arrived early and were immediately greeted at the door and offered something to drink. We enjoyed a beverage and then asked to be seated. We decided to go for the Tasting Menu (I'm sure they said it was 6 courses, but I lost count after 10). The service was excellent and the wine pairings superb. We thoroughly enjoyed our long evening. The Snapper Ceviche was amazing. Needless to say after all those delicious courses we were in no shape to walk back to the hotel ;-)

1  Thank beachman77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,177)

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Absolutely adore The French Cafe. Service, food, atmosphere all excellent. If price is not an issue then you must eat here. Equally great for romantic dinner for 2, group or business.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

How often do you go to a top of the range restaurant and find it lives up to its five star rating over a number of years? Too often restaurants start off with a whizz bang but over time standards can drop. French Cafe maintains - with pride I suspect - those high level standards at all times. This is our restaurant of choice for those special occasions. The service is outstanding but unobtrusive, the selection on the menu is at the right level - good choices for a range of tastes. I love the fact that wait staff treat you with manners and with regard to who you are. I hate being greeted with "Hi guys" I am not a guy! Another really great indicator of the quality of food you receive is the fact that you are not interrupted by spurious questions about whether your meal is alright because they know it will be. If you haven't sampled the fare at the French Cafe and you have a special ocaasion to celebrate; go there immediately and enjoy.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Food was excellent and service was outstanding. Wine list included not just French wines but excellent boutique New Zealand wines, too. As good as anything we had in a recent trip to New York City. Loved the garden. Really emphasized freshness of the food. My favorite was the chicken liver parfait.

1  Thank diannecarol
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic dinner here when we were last in Auckland. This restaurant , to put it into simple terms, has a lot to live up to. Most people have heard of it, they have released a cook book that is quite well known in the food industry, they have an extremely good reputation for their food and service….We were hoping our night would live up to the expectation- it did in every way.
We could not fault any element of the service, the beverages, the food or the ambiance. Do yourself a favour and book a table.
We had the degustation menu. Could not fault a single element of the night. It really was 3 hours of foodie heaven!
Often the focus on restaurants like this is the food, so here is an example of the service we were offered. After our meal the host offered to call us a cab. My husband and I waited out the front of the restaurant as they were starting to close down for the night. Our waiter came outside and waited with us, ensured we did in fact get a cab, and even opened and closed the door of the cab for us when it did arrive. That in itself demonstrates the high level of service you can expect from the staff here. Not only are they knowledgeable, considerate of your dining experience and just plain wonderful servers, they clearly have an understanding of end to end service and care about their work.
I would definitely recommend this to ANYONE. For the quality you receive, I feel it is extremely well priced as well

1  Thank NDS_GC