“lovely hidden gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Taupo, New Zealand
“lovely hidden gem”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

had a great experience here, sitting in the sunshine with great friends with lovely food.. great outdoor dining on a fantastic warm day... awesome!!

Visited September 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
“Magnifique”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Visited the French café with friends on a girls weekend. We were not disappointed. The décor is understated and elegant The service was excellent as was the food. The staff went our of their way to ensure we had a special evening. To our surprise, the PM was also dining with us! One of the staff took us on a tour of the garden out the back. He explained the philosophy behind the quality of the food grown in their garden and sourced from elsewhere, especially the meat, which is all free range. There is a private function room out the back which looks like a fantastic venue for a special occasion. Worth the expense. Would go again

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank seasonedcampaigner1
Perth, Australia
“Lives up to its reputation”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This restaurant has an excellent reputation so I was full of expectation when I arrived for my Friday lunch.

The French Cafe did not disappoint.

The light, airy room had a welcoming feel to it and the staff were both pleasant and knowledgeable.

The degustation menu was superb and the matched wines worked as well. The technical execution of the food, the presentation and, most importantly, the taste were all of a very high level.

This restaurant thouroughy deserves its elevated reputation and it did not disappoint.

• Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
“If you eat nowhere else in your life...you must eat here”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

OMG. I think my title adequately summarises my sentiments.
The food was just amazing. The flavours, freshness, innovations. I managed to squeeze into their 6.30-7.45pm slot being a single diner, having just flown in from Aust (literally - straight from airport to restaurant). But I'm so glad I made the effort.
And the service was impeccable. Will definitely make it my first port of call on my next trip to NZ.

• Visited August 2013
Auckland
“Best in New Zealand”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am a great fan of the French Cafe, and we go there about once a year. My wife and I eat out a lot in all of the best restaurants in Australasia, and after our meal at the French Cafe last week we were again blown away buy the quality of the whole experience. We have vowed to go there more frequently, as it is just so good, once a year doesn't do it justice.

The waiting staff are exceptional, friendly and professional, and give excellent advice on matching wines with the food. Creghan, who is the joint owner and wife of the chef, is always a joy to talk to when you arrive - and she remembered us from our visit a year ago, which was amazing given how busy the restaurant was.

Simon Wright, the chef, is a phenomenal chef and restaurant owner, and his food is sublime. As it all looked so amazing on the menu I had to order 2 entrees and a main so I could try a variety. I had a spanner crab and pearl barley entree, and then quail. Both were perfect, and generous portions - often you get tiny entrees at top restuarants. My duck for my main was also wonderful.

After all that wonderful food, a craft beer, and wine matches for the food, the bill when we left was another surprise - so reasonably priced for an evening of such quality. You can probably tell that I am a great fan of the French Cafe, and I would urge all Aucklanders, or visitors, to go whenever they can.

• Visited September 2013