“Buzz and good value”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Having walked past a lot of restaurants whilst looking for somewhere to eat we spotted this place because it was obviously popular and very busy. It was also within easy walking distance of our hotel.
The food for us Japanese novices was uncomplicated, well flavoured, colourful, and hot. The staff were energetic and enthusiastic. An entertaining evening out.

There are newer reviews for Tanuki Sushi & Sake Bar

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Good japanese - top end of Queen Street in Auckland, so location is good for theatre, plays etc at Town Hall, Aotea Square or Civic. Worth booking in advance though!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have lived in Asia for more than 15 years include 8 years in Japan.
I have been told I should go to Tanuki by my friend.
Well..... food were not really good as I have been told and less than average.
Portion was so small and taste was far from I had in Japan.
I heard a lot of sushi shop and Japanese restaurant are owned by non-Japanese
and I think this is the one of them. I can guess from taste.
Over priced for small portion and taste.
I am not going back.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Love this spot for a quick and healthy dinner - the food is consistently good - a buzzy atmosphere - you have to book

Reviewed November 21, 2012

This place is great, the food is superb and the atmosphere is always bubbling. Downstairs is fabulous for people watching, there are a lot of people on dates so that alone makes it fun. The lighting is perfect for dates too (it is dark) so that is probably the reason there are second dates as a result of the visits here. Wish I was nearer, i would go A LOT.