“Good overall”

Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We walked in without a booking and were seated in a corner away from the crowds. Our waitress was nice but didn't know a lot about the food or wine. The first wine my husband ordered wasn't even available even though she recommended it. We didn't feel neglected at all, and the prices were reasonable. When the food came out it exceeded our expectations, very nice Duck Confit and we were blown away by the pomegranate sauce in the chicken salad. We finished with a Limoncello which was a generous amount and so strong we wondered if it was homemade. Unfortunately my husband did not give a good review of the men's toilets so I didn't bother looking for myself. Overall, a few things did let it down but for our one-time visit we enjoyed the food and the experience quite a lot.

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked in advance and had a table away from the madness (the rest of the restaurant was packed and extremely noisy) which was great however we were given 3 menus for a table of 10 to share. Once we'd been sitting there for about 20 mins, another 2 menus were brought out to us - not a good start! The waitresses were friendly and attentive however meals were brought out at a very inconsistent pace, some of us had almost finished by the time others received their meals.

I had the Veal Scallopine (Vitello alla Milanese) which was a dry, bland version of what I make at home and also a side of spinach which was far too over-seasoned, so much so, that I had 1 bite and left the rest. My partner had the steak which came with 3 singular hand cut fries, but was delicious. Feeling a little ripped off with my main, I ordered the creme brûlée with fresh raspberries for dessert, it was lovely.

Overall, I don't think I'd dine here again, due to better quality restaurants being available in a close vicinity, just average.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Still a hot spot for Aucklands coolest after many years- don't let that put you off- the food is great. Grab a roadside table in the sun and watch the city go by.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

But SPQR does accept bookings.

The food and service were fine, but having eaten at both Italian inspired restaurants in recent weeks I have to say that the service and food at Prego down the road was better.

Still an OK option.

1  Thank Chucky111
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Maybe once upon a time this place was worthy its reputation. I judge restaurants firstly on there food and this place seems to have forgotten about the importance of good quality fresh food and instead rely's on the queens out the front to create the magic.