“Dinner and entertainment in one”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shochiku Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #1,251 of 2,271 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Dinner and entertainment in one”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We only ended up here because of the grabone deal, after I realised it was very close to our accommodation. But I was quite keen to try teppenyaki, so for $49.00 for two (value $100) it seemed like a great deal.

The language barrier proved a minor setback and I only had to ring twice to make a booking. so the conversation and interaction between us and the chef was quite limited. The 'show' side of the meal was also fairly limited, no food throwing, and a little clumsy, but the meal itself was delicious, and my husband ate all of his prawn entree, much to my disappointment!

It's a BYO which is not very obvious, but they also have a good range of beers and even a few Japanese cocktails. Very cosy, authentic looking place, and the staff are super friendly.

• Visited April 2013

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Teppanyaki in little china town”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Nice cosy little restaurant. It was a bit cramped the night we went, but the quality of the food and the service of the teppanyaki chef made up for it.

Visited July 2012
Auckland
“pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This restaurant had a number of poor reviews , so booked thinking the experience may not be that great . However , while communication with staff was limited [ language barrier does this ] the teppanyaki was superb [ the best cooked scallops/prawns ] I have had . Attentive service complemented the meal . I will return

• Visited October 2012
Hastings, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
“Tepenyaki experience”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

It was the whole experience we went for. I was lucky enough to use the grabone vouchers. They were kind enough to combine a seafood grabone voucher I had as well with the goup of 7 people we had. The meal was tasty and together with the seafood was very filling.

Visited September 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Unauthentic experience - sub par food”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I went to this restaurant as part of an online deal for a Japanese Teppanyaki experience. Firstly this place is actually Korean not Japanese. From the start to the end the experience was poor. The chef who was cooking our meal was to quiet and his skill level was not that of someone who I would expect to serve to paying customers. The meal was small and lacked the taste I was expecting.

We both left hungry and annoyed at the poor experience, taste and size of the meal..

Needless to say will not be returning

• Visited July 2012