Tripadvisor
Auckland Central
Post
Inbox
Search

“I love this place. I first”

The Shakespeare Restaurant & Brewery
Reserve a Table
Ranked #161 of 2,473 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I love this place. I first stopped by for a beer midday but had to come return because the hospitality was wonderful. I give this place . Great service, great prawns and excellent home brewed beer. I thoroughly enjoyed the Strong Pale Ale. So sad I have to depart Auckland tomorrow. This could be my hometown bar except it’s more than 5000 from my home! Try it out you won’t be disappointed!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (306)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

When you go to Auckland in New Zealand a brewery and restaurant bar that you can't miss is "The Shakespeare Brewpub & Iconic Hotel which was the first of its kind to establish itself in New Zealand. The atmosphere is very good, and the wonderful food and beers. There is a set of beers produced by themselves, all of them with great flavor and quality. If you think you’ve already eaten good "Fish and Chips" you will find that the ones you ate until today were another dish because there the real "Fish and Chips." There, the preparation of this dish is from the gods with two large pieces of fish, accompanied by French fries and a salad accompanied by tartar sauce, all served in a huge dish. We also eat a Thai salad with meat (roast beef) and pepper which was also excellent.
The staff at the bar & pub is very friendly and nice and we were met very kindly by Salim and Thomas. We were there on a sunday (January 19) and made an excellent discovery: on sundays, they have a promotion that you pay for a main meal and get another dish for another main meal. Definitely a bar & restaurant not to be missed in Auckland.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrive from the U.S., travel weary, not used to the Southern Hemisphere 'winter' or humidity, and there's this place near the hotel, so I'm like, we're doing this. It's a pub. They'll feed us, or I will drink and not care what I eat. Oh, the food was sublime. The produce was fresh, there was a wide variety of options, including a hearty smoked salmon platter with crusy bread that hit the spot. We ate in the pub itself, and it was packed during the week for lunch. We returned a few days later to pick up a tee shirt for our nephew who wants to be a brewmaster, and I will try to convince him to come to NZ and chat with these lovely folks.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

Very slow service; limited staff/to no staff to assist guests; room has no phone so when your room is on the top floor, you have to walk down the freaking stairs since no lift available in the hotel. No air conditioning - tough in summer. This is less than one-star inn, not even a hotel. Unclean carpet floor/unsanitary; no working TV the entire time we stayed. You asked for service, wait for 1-2 hours before you get what you wanted.
Please do not stay in this inn/disgusting place.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

We had dinner in the restaurant on the second floor above the pub. The space was very comfortable with high ceilings and brick walls. It was quiet and relaxing. They have daily dinner specials. We had a local beer and homemade beef burgers that came with fries and aioli dip sauce. The food was good and the staff were very welcoming.

Date of visit: November 2019