“Just Delightful”

Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Warm and friendly service. We went for lunch on Saturday 14 May and are definitely going back. Their chicken livers are just stunning and we really enjoyed the whole experience

Reviewed May 11, 2011

Food: Horrible. Ossobusco came out completely burnt on one side. It's more a steak with bits of tomotoe paste slapped on. Canellini came out like charcoal with again, tomatoe paste on top. Pasta were no better. Very very dry and we have had better at Sylvia Park food court. Need I go on? It's ridiculous and beyond funny.

All the staff were trying their best, but too many mistakes and clearing plates away while half eaten.

For the prices they charge, it's just criminal.

Reviewed April 13, 2011

Best thing we did in Auckland was come here. Firstly we went down to a place on the corner but they were clearly 1 staff member down and took ages to do anything, also no atmosphere so we left and went down the street. When we got here, we were looking in on the great atmosphere inside and seeing if they had any tables when a gent with an Italian accent joyfully directed us to a table and instantly made us feel welcome. A guy started smoking outside so they accomodated us and moved us inside even though they were almost entirely full. The restaurant looked absolutely beautiful inside with murals including the last supper, the atmosphere was by far and away the best part, there was a guy with a beasutiful deep voice on the guitar and crooning away, then later on one of the customers got up and gave us a nice song too. It really made it seem that everyone WANTED to be there, definitely the best place in the street. the food was lovely and I was suggested to try a particular italian wine which was fantastic with my meal. I'm really grateful to everybody there for the great time we had. 10/10 in my book and I'd recommend to anybody. As I said, the best part was the atmosphere.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

My family (husband, 2 teens and a 9 yr old) were encouraged in off the street by one of the staff. It was a nice-enough looking place and the Thai resaurant next door had failed to be able ( we can't, rather than we won't) to cook a plate of plain rice or noodles for my 9 year old so we had left. The food in this restaurant was enjoyable and good value. The greeter told us they made their own pasta, though the waiter, when asked, said that they did not. This was disappointing and we felt we'd been misled. The musician was good.
The waiting staff, however, were the worst I have ever encountered. The restaurant was not even 1/4 full but they didn't give us a single second to enjoy our time there. One waitress took away my unfinished glass of wine and another was clearing my starter plate while I was eating the last mouthful with my fork still in my hand. We felt hurried and hassled, as if they were watching like hawks and the nanosecond food was finished (or even before!), they swooped down - 4 staff at one point - to take everything away. I have never been made to feel so thoroughly uncomfortable. I didn't tip and I wish I had complained to the manager at the time. This isn't what an Italian restaurant is about. So 8 out of 10 for the kitchen but 2 out of 10 for the front of house staff.

Reviewed February 6, 2009

Dear Traveller,
After dining at Santa Lucia again, probably my 4th time there, I decided it was my duty to inform you of the disappointments which accompanied my every meal.

The food is bland and tasteless, served with a plastic salad, brown and soggy.
My steak was cooked well done, after my request for medium.

After my meal I was approached by a waiter, who had not served us or had contact with us all night.

He asked "How was your meal?"
I replied with an honest truth, stating that I believed the vegetables tasted old and the steak was cooked incorrectly.

He replied without taking my opinions under consideration. He remarked that the food was fresh every day, where I pointed out it may be fresh but it doesn't taste it.

Sir, I bid you, do not ask my opinion if you cannot take the criticism.

For the price of the meal, up to $35.00NZD if I remember correctly I believe that this is terrible value for money and I will not be dining there again.