“Very accommodating, nice food, excellent wine”
Review of Sails Restaurant

Sails Restaurant
Ranked #90 of 2,353 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sails Restaurant has an amazing location. Set in the middle of Westhaven Marina, beside the Harbour Bridge, with breathtaking views of the harbour. There are few views in the world that capture the essence of the city than the one from Sails Restaurant. A couple of minutes from the centre of Auckland, yet in a world of its own, with unlimited free parking at the door, Sails Restaurant is not just about its location. Over the last three decades the restaurant has forged its reputation as one of New Zealand’s top restaurants through an uncompromising belief in using only the freshest ingredients, the most talented chefs, and professional waiting staff. The menu at Sails is seafood focused, but also includes New Zealand’s finest beef and lamb. The full menu and all the details can be found on our website.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went to sails for an early Mother's Day celebration. We had a late sitting and enjoyed the chefs special. At our table we enjoyed the duck and oysters for our entrées the beef, grilled fish and 'fish and chips' for our mains and a very nice lemon cream for dessert. All to often duck is not cooked to perfection ...this was not the case at sails, it was perfect! The beef was the best dish of our mains however the fish options were also enjoyable. The dessert was a nice light option to finish off the evening.
The staff were attentive and whilst somewhat surprised, very accommodating when I arrived with my 4 month old baby. Do let them know in advance if you find yourself needing to take a young one as space could be an issue.
The wine list is fantastic something for everyone.
Overall an enjoyable meal, good service and Fantastic wine, I will go back.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We chose to go to Sails as it was a place we went to a number of years ago for our first date, so meaningful and always been one of the better known seafood restaurants, which we love. We were so disappointed though as to be honest there are a lot better places to choose from out there now. We felt it a bit dated and the menu not creative enough. We ordered the scallops for a starter and were really disappointed as they were so over fried they tasted like what you would get from the takeaway down the road. My fish was just ok for the main course, but my partner did enjoy his duck. We did note that the clients there on the night we chose (which was a Saturday night) were all quite elderly. I lot older than us. Im not sure if this is a sign of what to expect as we felt the menu really lacked the creative aspect that a lot of the new restaurants now offer and certainly didn't offer the wow factor we had been looking forward to, We wont be going back

1  Thank Stewart615
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A clients suggested Sails as they had heard of it and were from out of town. 5 of us went to dinner on a Wednesday night. We were able to get a window seat and the weather was lovely so we had nice views. Feedback was that the crumbed scallops and the sashimi entrees were excellent and clearly very fresh. The crayfish which was very large for one main was slightly overcooked and difficult to cut out. Service was pleasant enough although when we asked one of the few people who were serving us about the oysters he made some jokes about the types of wine etc. I guess we were too thick to read his mind as he was the Sommelier. Perhaps on a busy night this would have been more clear. The facilities were the same as my last visit early 2006 and the restrooms need some work. A nice pleasant evening but not quiet what we had expected.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

Had a special birthday booked for 4 people and have been to Sails a lot of times before but this time was very disappointed.

My husband and I order crumbed scallops which were very hard and over cooked. I ordered the crayfish for my main which was dry and very over done (disappointed) my husband had the fish and it was very dry also.

The service wasn't up to standard either, nearly had to even pour my own drink. As it wasn't very busy we expected for the price a whole lot better and was suprised it was as bad as it was.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We've eaten here many times over the years and never been disappointed. Consistently good food and service right on Auckland's world class marina.