“Amazing views”

Ranked #30 of 2,383 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Orbit while staying in Auckland in October 2013. The views were fantastic, as it is a rotating restaurant atop the SKY Tower. We made reservations and were sat immediately at our table. The service was great, but for me the food wasn't as good as I expected it to be for the price. I'm not a food snob by any means and I'm not sure what it was about it, but it wasn't "omg, this is one of the best [insert food here] I've ever had" good... which is about the quality I expected. Maybe I shouldn't have had such high expectations, but overall, I did enjoy myself. I'm a big fan of the revolving restaurants and it was my wife's first experience with one. Dinner also includes a free visit to the observation deck either before or after, which was also nice.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed December 8, 2013

If you intend to head to the top of the Sky Tower, I would suggest you have a meal at this restaurant instead as diners get to go up to the observation deck for free. And the view was simply breathtaking.

The meal prices are comparable to the other fine dining restaurants in Auckland. Highly recommended are the set meals which come with an appetizer, main and dessert. For dinner, the set meal comes at a reasonable price of NZD69 (excluding drinks).

Because of the crowd, the waiter serving us wasn't that attentive as he was simply too busy. He even got our dessert wrong; a big no no for a restaurant of such standard. Food is good but some of the dishes were a tad cold, probably due to late serving.

All in all, it was a good experience dining under the stars and the best part of all, view changes as you dine.

Reservation is required and be prepared to wait for your mains if the restaurant is full.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had our work team Christmas dinner here. What an amazing view over beautiful Auckland - especially the harbour. It was great having our view revolving around as we enjoyed the meals.

We ate al carte and it was great food - 3 course meal - each meal beautifully presented & tasted fantastic. Really good staff with each meal coming in a timely manner. I recommend Orbit for any occasion.

It is a bonus that you can then go to the viewing platform next floor down to walk around.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Very nice! The food was perfect, and excellent value really, $69pp for a 3 course meal. Suggest going just on sunset so you get to see both the daylight and nightlights of Auckland. I was really disappointed to be screwed around when trying to book though, I was told they were booked solid for the whole 3 nights of our stay. But when my wife called, not only did we manage to get a table on our last night (on a Saturday night mind you), but it was window-side, AND the restaurant was barely 60% full!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Actually I thought I'd come here as a cheapskate: I'd noticed that the ticket to the observation deck was free if you had a lunch of about 35 NZ$. I'd expected the usual formica-table-topped tourist trap... But THEN!
Wow! Not only are the views stunning all 360 degrees rotating around, but the food is truly fabulous. And it's all served by Very Knowledgeable and friendly waiters.
I started out with the most delicious venison (native from New Zealand) carpaccio that I've ever had. It came with exacly right duck liver paté and sweet little tomato. I'd already started on a bottle of Weeping Sands Merlot from Waiheke, an island I could see clearly in the distance. It went well, too, with great New Zealand salmon - tenderly rare and lovely - with rose prawns.
A dessert with fresh blackberries topped it all off.
Of course, the cooks are due many compliments. But also the waiters - Babal and Rory - were excellent. Especially Babal's knowledge and recommendations of wine were exceptionally high standard.
The bill came to just over 100 NZ$; not bad at all for such a gourmet lunch. And I'll naturally forfeit a dinner!