“Quick quality bites”

Oh Calcutta Indian Cuisine & Tandoor
Ranked #12 of 2,235 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Quick quality bites”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Did not get to try the full array but def popular. Had two starters which were great, the onion bhaji and the chicken tikka. Had a lamb nawabi for main which was solid but not spicy enough. Service was good as well but not boom!!!!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Shaun T

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
“Totally Sublime (In every aspect)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

With much anticipation I dined at Oh Calcutta on the recommendation of several of my Indian colleagues. Previously I had surveyed numerous Indian cuisine eateries in the Auckland area and had left disappointed. However my overall feeling on leaving Oh Calcutta was that I had wished I had a larger stomach so I could sample more of the menu. Oh well there is always next time is there not???

The service was very attentive and warm and the food was definitely reflective of the owner’s passion to provide the diner with an authentic Indian cuisine experience. My table started with the Bhajji's (a spicy Indian snack made from onions) and for my main course I selected Chicken Tikka Masala, which was by a country mile the best I have eaten in Auckland. My friends who had the Beef Vindaloo and the Butter chicken were also highly impressed with their respective meals.

Overall an experience that I hope to repeat in the not to distant future. Thank you Oh Calcutta.

• Visited July 2013
“Good curry - but will not be the best of your life”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I dined here on my birthday with a group of friends, anticipating some kind of explosion of gustatory pleasure and wonder after reading all the other reviews.

Service by waiting staff is great, and it's BYO (which is always a bonus) and the restaurant ambiance is that of clean, chic modernism (although not quite there). But food-wise, I would say it is solidly good but not amazing. After all the bad curries I've had in Auckland, this by far is probably the place of choice if I ever felt like Indian cuisine. But having said that, it is not mind-blowingly amazing. I have a feeling curries here are somewhat "westernised" to suit the taste of larger audience - it certainly lacks that authentic, tangy punch you get from really good curry.

Good place for casual dinner with friends and family but if you can't get a reservation, no need to be disappointed - you aren't missing out that much.

• Visited February 2013
auckland
“Undoubtly one of the best in auckland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

we booked online during the day and went to restaurant in the evening. Upon arriving i was advised there is no booking under my name. Anyways they were able to fit me in 5 minutes.
Meena personally came to me and appologised for the wait and told that online bookings arrive with a delay of 24 hours. My bad :(

the ambience and the food is awsome but service can be bit better(far better than any other indian restaurant but not up to the mark of oh calcutta).

I will go again and again and again :)

• Visited February 2013
Auckland Central, New Zealand
“Tasty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Auckland suffers from too many poor curry houses. There are a few chains that offer bland, hot one dimensional food, but what makes Oh Calcutta so good, is it consistently delivers. I've now been going here 7 years (on an irregular basis) and I have never had a meal that was less than good.
In addition the service is great, the food good value, and the ambience is better than most. Probably the best all round Indian restaurant in Auckland.

Visited March 2013