“Undoubtly one of the best in auckland”

Oh Calcutta Indian Cuisine & Tandoor
Ranked #19 of 2,355 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013

we booked online during the day and went to restaurant in the evening. Upon arriving i was advised there is no booking under my name. Anyways they were able to fit me in 5 minutes.
Meena personally came to me and appologised for the wait and told that online bookings arrive with a delay of 24 hours. My bad :(

the ambience and the food is awsome but service can be bit better(far better than any other indian restaurant but not up to the mark of oh calcutta).

I will go again and again and again :)

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Auckland suffers from too many poor curry houses. There are a few chains that offer bland, hot one dimensional food, but what makes Oh Calcutta so good, is it consistently delivers. I've now been going here 7 years (on an irregular basis) and I have never had a meal that was less than good.
In addition the service is great, the food good value, and the ambience is better than most. Probably the best all round Indian restaurant in Auckland.

1  Thank Anthony M
Reviewed June 23, 2013

23.6.13

For those of you who can remember or knew the Oh Calcutta in Darlinghurst (NSW, Australia) this restaurant has nothing similar with the architecture...but the food....screw me with a big stick...its awesome ;).

Found this place on trip advisor and went purely on the reviews here, well let me tell you it was great.

I've never reserved or made a booking for a restaurant over the internet, let alone one internationally (Australia - New Zealand) but via the oh calcutta website (www.oc.co.nz or via trip advisor) it was easy, so anyway....

We arrived a couple of minutes ahead of schedule and found the booking was valid and that we were expected ;). The staff were dressed either in Sari's (female) or nehru suits (male) which were beautifully cut and decorated. The restaurant itself has both outside & inside diniing (outside being somewhat optimist, considering it was a winters night but in fine spring/summer weather it would be sensational) inside being warm with banquet/booth seating down one wall and individual (2 people) tables on the opposite wall, the middle being a mixture of 4 & 8 seater tables, inside was warm but not overly hot (an easy mistake which many places make and you sweat like a pig while inside).

I wont bore you with the menu choices but rather tell you what we ordered:

Onion Bhaji

Beef Vindaloo

Lamb Nawabi

Garlic Naan

Oh Calcutta Naan (Cheese)

Thorn Clarke Sandpiper Shiraz ($ 40.00)

Ok, my partner would be happy if all she had to eat was Onion Bhaji for the rest of her life :), and the Onion Bhaji here ? Sensational, slivers of Onion dipped in chick pea flour and deep fried to within an inch of their life and with a dry finish, NOT oily, dry so they retained the flavour and the crispness of each individual piece, fantastic Bhaji and...a heap of them, more than enough for one and if your partner (like mine) isn't a big eater, enough for two.

The Sandpiper Shiraz arrived about the same time as entree and although it pains me to say it, this SA wine was an excellent match for the richly flavoured food , why does it pain me to say it ? ;) Being Victorian it just goes against the grain ;) & when I think about the price I'm paying in NZ as against when I'm back in Aus', it's almost worth jumping on a plane to come to NZ to sample Australian wines at a decent price (if you come to NZ from outside Aus, try the Aus wines, the NZ price is cheaper than Aus prices !!!)

Ok, so we had Beef Vindaloo, Lamb Nawabl, Garlic Naan & Oh Calcutta Naan (Naan with cheese & coriander), Yes we like Naan being the 60's children that we are (comfort food and all that) but by golly, this Naan was superb, both Naans were huge (size wise) and the Garlic Naan had plenty of garlic but without being overpowering.

The Beef Vindaloo.. nothing left to take home...freaking sensational, not overly hot that you couldn't taste anything but heat, yet hot enough that a glass of (refreshing) shiraz wouldn't go astray :),

The Lamb Nawabi, I couldn't get any sense out of my partner except for her to say that it was delicious, both courses came with complimentary rice to share.

In short, if your looking to impress a first date or someone who thinks they know Indian food (whether in NZ or Australia) or just someone who appreciates both Indian food and attentive yet understated service, then this is the place.

This is seriously good indian, whether in Auckland or Melbourne, you wont be disappointed,

1  Thank MrBuff
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We dined here on our visit to Auckland, honeymoon
Taxi guy took us here, saying its the best Indian.
Poor recommendation
Just your ordinary curry house with food tasting like a foodcourt from a big pot.
We had the Butter Chicken and Naans and did not order any more - it was just pure cream in tomato sauce.
The service was terrible - did not feel welcomed at all
Skip this place, on your visit to Auckland
Paddy

1  Thank Paddy N
OhCalcuttaNZ, Owner at Oh Calcutta Indian Cuisine & Tandoor, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

I am extremely disappointed to read your comments regarding your dining experience at our establishment and sincerely apologies.
Could a request an quick email, providing further details as this could be a training issue that may need to be addressed.
We pride ourselves and set my staff with high expectations and will express my disappointment with my team..
Once again I apologies for your recent experience and this is not the usual high standard that Oh Calcutta prides itself on. Regards Meena Anand. meena@ohcalcutta.co.nz

Reviewed June 8, 2013

It is an ever growing trend in NZ to see more authentic Indian Restaurants but this one was in out of the box. Has a very nice feel about the restaurant, decor and fit are good. The service is excellent which I find not always the case in Asian Restaurants as a whole.
However the food is superb! Wonderful selection of curries both dry and sauce orientated. The condiments go well and seem to be very fresh maybe because of turnover. How many places give you a decent goat curry. Hard to fault.

1  Thank TherockSaid