“Number 5 Definitely 5 Star”

Number 5 Restaurant
Ranked #95 of 2,349 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Number 5 Restaurant is an elegant dining restaurant in central Auckland city.We are famous for our passion of New Zealand food and our huge selection of boutique New Zealand wines.It is the perfect place for visitors to Auckland to come and experience dining at its best.As well as our fantastic food and comprehensive wine list, we pride ourselves on our exceptional service. Past guests have included the Rt. Hon. Helen Clark, Her Royal Highness, Princess Anne, Burt Bacharach and Sir Sean Connery.If you find yourself dreaming of a white Christmas, but always have your desires foiled by a little thing called the Southern Hemisphere, then Number 5 has something that might help to make your wishes come true.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have been going to this lovely restaurant over the years and have always found the food and service simply fantastic. Beautiful interior with separate rooms which is very cosy and the food was simply outstanding at reasonable prices for Auckland standards. Very informative staff and somallier. Very enjoyable ever time we go and Martina is a gorgeous hostess.

There are newer reviews for Number 5 Restaurant

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We chose this restaurant because it is across the road from our hotel so we didn't need to worry about driving.
The service was prompt and friendly. The food was amazing. I'd read another reviewer's comments about not wanting to share her food and, after eating here, I completely understand. The chef is very creative with the use of herbs. My husband and I both had the fillet, which was perfectly cooked. But the "piece de resistance" was the dessert. Oh my goodness. The flavours were amazing. I had caramelized banana with rosemary added to the caramelized topping and my husband had the Belgian chocolate pot with basil ice cream. Yes, it sounds odd, but believe me, absolutely delicious.
You won't go wrong choosing this restaurant for any occasion.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We came here on grabone deal on a quiet Monday night.The winelist was very very good with a lot of variety of quality wines.The service was great,lovely guy( i believe dutch) was looking after us and did a great job.the food.....hm how can say that-perfect,everything was coocked to perfection.it was an excelent dining experience.highly recommended!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Came here for dinner with the Mr for our anniversary. The food I have to say was perfect. I can't fault a single thing. The Mr and I decided to share entrees so we could each try. The chicken liver parfait was set in front of me and at first bite I wished we hadn't decided to share - it was melt-in-your-mouth divine!

The other entree we had was the Venison Carpaccio - a rather interesting mix of flavours; in addition to the thin cut meat there was licorice, cherries, hazelnuts and cocoa. This was a dish for the more adventurous so I ended up giving the rest of my parfait to the Mr as he is more on the safe side but the Carpaccio certainly wasn't offensive - in fact, I finished the entire plate even though licorice isn't normally my favourite. It somehow just worked!

We had been considering trying the degustation menu so decided to slot in an additional entree in between entrees and mains that caught our eye to share. This was the Spring Peas. Sounds boring but wow!!! Best thing I have tasted in a long time! Even the Mr who is a carnivore through and through loved this vegetarian dish that was immaculately presented and had the perfect mix of flavours.

The next round was mains - steak for him, duck for me. Mr loved how there were two different cuts of meat on his plate and I enjoyed the duck with its crispy skin immensely. While we were pretty full by the end of that (having devoured every morsel!) we decided we should give the dessert menu a try. While the Hot Chocolate Pot was calling out my name, we went with the more sensible panna cotta which turned out to be a perfect dessert to end a meal such as this one; it was light and contained fruits. Just beautiful.

The wait staff were very attentive without being overbearing and I couldn't fault them at all. They could see we were after a little privacy without losing the ambience of fellow diners and seated us at a quiet table with a view. Mr chose a whisky from the liquor trolley and the staff kindly bought the bottle over when requested so that he could take a photo of his 'new favourite' so he could purchase a bottle to add to our domestic collection.

I would recommend this venue to anyone; this meal to celebrate our anniversary will not be forgotten! Perfect location for a romantic dinner/special occasion.

1  Thank Kim765
Reviewed August 29, 2013

August has provided the opportunity to try some special 'table d'hote' menus around central Auckland which hopefully offered a sample of the restaurant's normal fare. For $120 per couple Number 5 offered a reasonable choice of dishes with well presented food although the scallop/meat pairing for starters did not quite come off with the delicately flavoured, coral-less scallops being overwhelmed. A southern french syrah/grenache offered relatively good value for money and the service was very good. The decor is 'relaxed' formal but there was a lack of atmosphere, probably because it was a very 'quiet' mid week night.

1  Thank Enophil