“Have been several times - it doesn't disappoint”
Review of Non Solo Pizza

Non Solo Pizza
Ranked #185 of 2,311 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Essex, United Kingdom
“Have been several times - it doesn't disappoint”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is a very useful venue for entertaining business colleagues, but it is equally welcoming for a family group. It's almost always busy; the food is reliably good, the service unfailingly cheerful and knowledgeable and the wine list is extensive and interesting. I've tried a wide variety of their dishes and haven't been disappointed. The courtyard is lovely in the summer; it's heated in the cooler months. Inside is comfortable and conjures up a European vibe and is especially cosy when it's wet and chilly outside.

• Visited March 2014

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Bellismo!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was art shopping on Parnell Road and recommended to dine at this restaurant by the gallery down the road and what a recommendation! I was greeted by the manager who I later learned was the owner. I had no reservation but this was no problem and I was shown to a fabulous shaded table in the courtyard. My waitress came over and a glass of sparkling of rose was brought over promptly. I was told this was from their vineyard on Waiheke Island, and I must go soon as the wine was fabulous! Review of that place will be posted soon I am sure!

The gallery owner said I must try the Duck Proscuitto and it was fab. With a touch of truffle oil and on a bed of rocket it was a great way to start. I followed with a house made pasta, duck ragu in a tagliatelle pasta. I asked for advice on a light dessert and a coconut pannacotta really hit the spot. I was quite full but this was a great way to finish.

I really enjoyed my visit and will return again soon.

• Visited March 2014
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Riding only on past reputation, locality and the PM was there that night”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

15 hens arrived a few Saturdays ago for a trail-blazing night in the city starting at Non Solo Pizza. We arrived at 7pm, an hour earlier than our booking at 8pm, so we could have some cocktails at the bar in the front of the restaurant. The bartender was lovely, if not a little stressed, to serve 15 of us, as well as other customers. We were spending a fair bit, but were hungry for dinner, so asked at 8pm if we could be seated. Sorry, they said, we just need to set the table after the last diners, won't be long. We asked again at 8.15 and finally were seated at 8.30, a half hour after our booking which was made well in advance of the day.
The waitress immediately cleared the whole table of wine glasses. I watched what she was doing, and said excuse me, we might wish to order some bottles of wine. She asked some of us if we did, but the others wanted more cocktails and only 3 wanted wine. She should never have assumed we wouldn't order the dearest bottle of Pinot Noir. My friends said it was because they wanted us to buy the cocktails and make more money.
She hated me from then.

I didn't look at the wine list, but asked the waiter if I could have such and such Shiraz I had been drinking at the bar. He brought some red vinegar to the table and I complained. One of the managers explained the wine list is different from the bar. I was never told this and never shown an alternative. The waiter just brought me cheap house crap. I got my wine that I wanted.
The meals were very average. Most of us didn't like the bland Italian we were given. My Linguine Marinara had overcooked white fish and muscles. We were never offered cracked black pepper or parmesan cheese.

When we paid the bill separately, I explained to the maitre d' that I was disappointed our waiter didn't notify me that my wine was not available and offer an alternative. She firmly stated the wine lists were different and I reiterated that I should have been told at the time. She said sorry but she wasn't.
I told her that she wasn't sorry and that I wouldn't be returning. She didn't look fussed. Riding on past reputation, locality and the PM goes there regularly is all they need. The staff were beautiful and aloof and couldn't care less, except the bar tender at the front and a woman who replaced my wine easily and with much apology.

The highlight of the night was the Bride got a kiss on the cheek from John Key who was dining there. I hope he enjoyed it better than us!

Don't go there. Go to La Porchetta down the road where there is not snobbery from staff or patrons!

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Melanie H
NonSoloPizzaParnell, Manager at Non Solo Pizza, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
My name is Amy and I was the hostess on the night you dined at NSP.

First of all I would like to apologise for your table not being ready at 8pm as per your booking. The member of your party I was speaking to in regards to the delay made me feel in no way that it was a problem that you would be seated later than expected.

I am sorry you are upset at the waiter for removing the wine glasses. It may seem presumptuous but in her mind she was likely noticing that there were already people drinking wine by the glass of different grape varieties and others on cocktails and thought it best to clear the table to make room for breads. It was by no way a money making scheme on her part.

I would like to clarify that we only have one wine list for both our bars and restaurant and all the staff are aware of this.

If you had passed on your thoughts about your dish on the night we could have attempted to redeem ourselves by offering you a replacement or alternate meal. Salt and pepper are placed on the table to use as required, parmesan however, is provided with all the dishes that require it but never with seafood as is our preference although it is always available on request.

When you were paying, it was clear to me you were unhappy about the above turn of events so when I was trying to explain to you about our wine list being the same in both bars and how the wine you had been served could have only been the same, unless you had been served a different grape variety in the front bar, you refused to listen to my explanation and obviously did not believe my apology was sincere, for this I am sorry.

We are unhappy to receive negative feedback about our restaurant and the staff. We all work extremely hard to ensure all our customers have an amazing dining experience, yet in your case it seems we have failed.

Kind Regards
Amy Burton
Restaurant Manager
Copenhagen, Denmark
“We never go here again”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Went in at 4 p.m. on a Sunday and asked if we could have 2 glasses of wine outside. Even though 3-4 table were free we were told that we could have our drink in the inside bar area.
Asked ourselves whether people start eating at 4 p.m. If so good for the restaurant - if not too bad as we never will come back for a meal.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Hanne N
Helston
“Undercooked and Unwelcoming”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

From the start we were made to feel inferior because we had not a reservation. The wine was ordinary and highly priced. Then we come to the main event - really looking forward to pizza cooked in a wood fired oven. When it came it was very ordinary and the bade was soggy and undercooked. Recently we had pizza in Paihia which was cheaper and hundred times better. The atmosphere outside was I am sure good but inside clinical and noisy.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lynda B
NonSoloPizzaParnell, Manager at Non Solo Pizza, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hi Lynda,

We are well known both for our food and service and it is important to us to continue to provide the highest standard of service to all our clients at all times, this can often be the point of difference between us and other Italian Restaurants.

It goes without saying, I prefer to receive favourable feedback but value this input from you and will use it in a way to improve consistency and to reiterate to the staff how important maintaining our service standards are.

It is standard operating procedure to ask if people have a reservation upon arrival so by no means do we mean to offend. On some occasions we can have over 100 casual diners so we do always need to make sure we have enough tables for those who have pre-booked.

The Maitre’D in question has had your comments bought to her attention and understandably is upset as to how she is being perceived but has taken the feedback as a positive way to improve her manner.

I have also passed your feedback on to the Pizza Chef that was working that night and he is now cooking his pizzas longer to ensure they are crispy.

We do wish you had mentioned your feelings on the night so we could have had the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention to give us the opportunity to ensure we are doing it right.

Kind Regards