“Outstanding Thai food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sukhothai - CLOSED

Sukhothai
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Sukhothai Restaurant has been delighting the palates of favoring Thai food fans in New Zealand since 2004. Our food is quintessentially Thai and as authentic as you would find in Bangkok’s finest dining establishments.Our recipes are being passed through each generation started by our grandmother “Mommy Kurewun” as the recipes are from the traditional Siam style. We have been brought up in Thai family cooking culture surrounding with a big compound family who enjoys home cooking and sharing with neighbours.
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
“Outstanding Thai food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband and I love Thai food and have struggled to find anything in Auckland that comes close to matching our former favourite in Devonport, which shut down last year. Tonight we found a new favourite, which we will now try to visit at least once a fortnight. Everything about this place is a delight...very friendly, attentive and professional service, superb food without the excessive sweetness and richness that is often found in NZ Thai food and spoils the purity and freshness of the ingredients. Our party of four chose four entrees and four mains to share. The fish cakes were outstanding - extremely moist and bursting with Kaffir lime flavour...also great were the very light and crisp spring rolls, blanketed prawns and crispy squid. The dipping sauces were not the usual sweet chilli sauce that can overwhelm the clean flavours, but rather more subtle, and the salad accompaniments very fresh. For the mains, we enjoyed a very nicely balanced red curry of duck, lemongrass chicken which was very light and flavourful, a magnificently decadent yet very delicate prawn penang, and lovely drunken noodles with pork. Yay for a great central city Auckland Thai restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Sue R

Sydney, Australia
“Worst Thai food I have eaten, service not much better”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I got a takeaway stir fry from this Thai restaurant, which has since been renamed (now Sukhothai), and it as honesty the worst Thai food I have ever eaten (or in this case, not eaten).

I ordered a chicken and cashew nut stir fry, which is hard to stuff up. It looked like it was in watered down tomato sauce and tasted like it too. Chicken was flavorless, and it only came with chicken, carrot and onion.

When I asked for a green vegetable they told me they could put broccoli in. I asked for green beans and the older lady told me that she wouldn't put them in, because they didn't "go" with it. None of the other staff members had any idea what vegetables were in the stir fry.

The broccoli was obviously frozen, as it looked severely overcooked, but only took them about 3 minutes to cook. Chicken had a strange texture, like it had been battered/floured before cooking.

I took it back to my hotel room, had 3 bites and then gave up and ordered a $40 room service dinner because I couldn't bring myself to eat that muck.

Dinner ended up costing me $57 instead of $17. I should have just ordered the room series straight up.

• Visited January 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Recommended Thai Restaurant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Great food and very well presented dessert at a good location, right in the middle of the city. Very friendly staff.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Thai food at it's worst !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Just had a few days working in Auckland this week, thought a quick review of a very "bad" restaurant may assist others as they look for the usual Kiwi quality food and servcies around the "islands of the long white clouds". Khao is in the quality business/residential part of downtown Auckland, in the 1924+ building know as the Law Society Chambers.

Went to dinner last night (cold and early, so not too busy); blank services gilrs and blank support as to food and drinks. we had a moo ping (BBQ'd pork skewers); bad news - quality and amount ?, we then had a 3 part selection as main - pineapple rice, veggies and red duck curry - all tasted like a cheap-and-nasty cantonese restaurant with no idea of components mix. Most veggies looked like they came out of a frozen "Watties" packet ??? The blank faced, bored 3 serving girls remained same throughout the time we (and 3 other) tables were occupied.

..........most notable point to this place was near the cash register, they close soon for a 3 week's make-over, hopefully the staff and food will CHANGE DRAMATICALLY for the better ?. This place and the food was a total embarrassment to Thai nationals everywhere (even us from Oz !!).

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank deckchairtraveller
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good food but forgettable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

We enjoyed our Meals. They were gOod sized portions and very tasty but there really isn't much in the way of atmosphere. I would go ago in the future but won't rush back in a hurry.