“Fantastic view”

Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Hammerheads lived up exactly to our quite high expectations, although the food was probably better than I thought it would be. The restaurant was fairly full, and there was a private function in the outside bar (which didn't bother us). Service was very good - attentive and with a smile.
I had prawns with coconut foam for an entree and they were delicious. My husbands scallops were perfectly cooked and very tasty. For mains we steered away from the seafood and had the duck and fillet steak. Both were delicious. Although we had very little room left we shared the panna cotta for dessert and we didn't regret it!
Decor a little tired, but reserve a table next to the window and look out at the city - lovely!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

It's all about the fish of course and it is very hard to fault. I guess I could say we were left too long without having our drinks order taken but that would be about it. I splashed out of the crayfish (well it was my birthday) and between us we had 4 seafood mains and 4 seafood starters. All excellent. We were too full to attempt dessert. The wine is a bit overpriced but then it nearly always is in top Auckland restaurants. The selection was wide and interesting.

Food and service top-notch, thanks guys.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Never go wrong at this place. Go and celebrate some occasion. The market fish is what I always stick to. Summer time get the table on the veranda. Great setting. They new we were celebrating an occasion, so gave us a complementary dessert plate. We will be back as loyal patrons.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

wonderful drive on Tamaki Drive . Specialty fish and seafood Very pleasant. outstanding service. The Akaroa salmon was tasty and remarkably well prepared, sympathetic wines. The dessert menu is low. Wanting to avoid heavy desserts, pudding type that adorn this card, we fell back on an assortment of desserts (sweet and handcrafted chocolate selection). What was not surprised to see our get a plate with some crackers out of a box and chocolates, you know the ones that we put on the edge of the coffee cup in beach ... Too bad, because otherwise it was flawless.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This was a really nice restaurant a few minutes away from the heart of Auckland along the foreshore which was well worth the drive.

The venue has a fantastic history and the current seafood restaurant certainly holds up well.

There is a good bar and entry area with outdoor covered drinks area and the restaurant has a good range of tables to suit what you like. The arched windows set a great vista overlooking the harbour and the city and whether you are at the window front or away from the windows, the vista is still magnificent.

Staff were friendly and attentive. Just what I like.

The food was divine. I had Scallop Carpaccio which I have never had before. I wasn't sure what to expect but it was very nice. My guest had the seared scallops to start and was equally enthralled by the dish.

We both had snapper one as the market fish of the day and the other baked as a whole fish with a side salad and potatoes. Very tasty and we both finished our plates.

Wine selection was nice with a good range to select from.

We didn't skimp on the meal or drinks so ended up spending $150 each (drinks being about 50% of the cost) for our absolutely delicious and perfectly prepared meal (even though we didn't have dessert).

Would like to return. Special occasion but not an every day dining venue.