“Delicious Degree! Massive Meat in amazing Auckland.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Degree Gastrobar

Degree Gastrobar
Ranked #242 of 2,198 Restaurants in Auckland
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, New Zealand, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Clemente, California
“Delicious Degree! Massive Meat in amazing Auckland.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We decided to eat at this lively pub type restaurant because the aromas of the food were fabulous and it also offered a great location on the wharf with greAt people watching opportunities. The food and wine here is awesome. We set here two times during our stay in Auckland. We shared the seafood platter that included green lip mussels, squid, salmon, shrimp and scallops. so fresh and fabulous. We had a sampling of New Zealand wines. The wine luster and beer options were very extensive. Highly recommend the scallops and pepper squid as a entree when you dine here.

The second time we ate here we opted for stone grilled meats. My husband had a delicious and very large piece of angus beef aged 21 days and I opted for lamb rump. The meat is served on a sizzling hot stone. It is presented as a raw slab and you grill it to your liking at the table. A delicious dining experience

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dave G, Manager at Degree Gastrobar, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Hi sjworldtravels,

Thank you for your awesome review!

Our stonegrills are pretty great, we hope to see you in the near future again down at Degree

Kind Regards

Laura, Restaurant Manager

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Slow service, food was not what we ordered and the door staff were just rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

With amazing harbour views we were expecting an experience to match. What a disappointment.... The food when it eventually arrived was not as we ordered the drinks were over priced and the staff continued to ask if we would like more while we waited, charging us of course! We paid without complaint then to top it all off as we left the door staff were very rude. "We are turning into a club now and you are too old". Take our money then insult us, Auckland come on, you have got to do better!

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good location, bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Degree is a very popular bar and we used to always end up there either at beginning of our night out. But our last experience there was terrible.

We went there for a few drinks in the afternoon, it was a friend and my leaving party. The service was slow. Each time we had to wait at the bar for service. But the staff look very tired so I didn't want to stress much. I ordered a Hendricks and tonic and the girl behind the bar was nice enough to find me a slice of cucumber but afterward I discovered it was rotten. The kitchen was then closed, so no more cucumber.

The experience really became shocking when I went to the bar to order a round of drinks. The lower bar was once again empty, after waiting for a bit, I decided to go to the upstairs side. I thought for all I know, I might have been waiting at the wrong bar. As I walked up I asked a gentleman, who had drinks in his hand to serve, whether I should order at the upstairs bar. He said very rudely that they are so busy and I just have to wait.

I came down the stairs again, ordered my drink downstairs and complaint. Then the upstairs gentleman found out about my complaint and decided to come outside and start an argument with me. He then made sure to tell me I was over the top.

The evening was ruin, I felt embarrassed for even suggest such a place as a meet up point.

Will not return again.

Visited December 2013
Dave G, Restaurant manager at Degree Gastrobar, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Hi Ivy0515,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us, we appreciate all feedback be it good or bad.

I was saddened to read about your recent visit to Degree, as serving cucumber that is past its best is certainly nowhere near our normal standard, nor is having argumentative bar staff.
We are very selective about the front of staff that we hire, so I will be looking into who it was working that night and investigating.

I would really like to discuss the matter further with you, as you said in your review you visit regularly. So we are able to have the situation put right and you can experience Degree to its full potential once again.
Please feel free to contact me via info@degree.co.nz

Kind Regards
Laura, Restaurant Manager
Padiham, United Kingdom
“Quality Service and a Sizzling Steak to remember forever.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I visited this restaurant over 4 years ago with a friend and ordered the Surf and Turf which came on a hot rock platter. The experience is great and you can cook your own steak to your liking. A must do if you are visiting Auckland. Not the cheapest, but you pay for a quality meal and good friendly service.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Waikoloa, Hawaii
“Extremely poor service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

My mom and I wanted to have a nice dinner by the water, so we walked to the Viaduct area and into the first restaurant we found, Degree Gastropub. We were seated inside by the hostess and provided with menus. After a few minutes, we were ready to order, but no one came to take our order. Another group of 3 was then seated at the table next to ours. The waitress provided them with menus, then came back with water for their table and took their drink order. We sat waiting- no water, no drink order. She came back with their drinks and took their food order and, although she saw us, still failed to stop by or send anyone else to help us. We ended up walking out, feeling insulted. It turned out to be for the best, as we ended up having a much better meal (with very good service) at the V Grill just a ways down the pier. Go there instead- much less pretentious and worth the price.

• Visited September 2013