“Better than French Cafe, awesome service and food”
Review of Cibo

Cibo
Ranked #47 of 2,344 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic dinner here last Saturday night, our first time. It's in a very back-street location in Parnell, so not something you stumble across by accident. My husband's work has just relocated to the Axis building which also houses Cibo, so we thought we'd give it a go, and we are so pleased we did.

The service was first class. We had a very friendly and personable waiter where no request was a problem. The wine list contained a "recommended" list and we took their advice on a bottle of pinot gris from Central Otago, and weren't disappointed.

To eat: my husband had the pork belly entree and it was fantastic. I had a special entree of the day, which was Coromandel scallops with stuffed courgette flower - delicious. For mains: I had the roasted hapuka. This was seriously one of the nicest dishes I've ever eaten. Every component went so well together. It was pretty spicy, but not in a bad way. My husband at the eye fillet with ox tail - also divine and perfectly cooked.

Here is were all the compliments stop because we made a mistake with dessert. Normally my husband and I share a dessert, however since they have a "Cibo treat" section, we thought we'd try one each. Big mistake. I had the "chocolate coconut rough": it was terrible. The manjari coconut cream was basically a chocolate mouse - which I didn't like at all. The "cinnamon rice fritters" were tasteless doughy balls with cinnamon sugar on the outside. And the "coconut ice" was tasteless also. Instead of a delicious coco-nutty dessert, I got a chocolate mouse with doughy balls! My husband fared no better. He ordered the tiramisu profiteroles. There were four profiteroles on the plate, and they tasted stale. Worse - inside they had what can only be described as a dot of filling - the rest was air filled. Seriously disappointing.

We noticed that many people were ordering salted caramel peanut ice-cream sandwich. It looked divine and hence we decided we should have ordered a dessert to share like we usually do. My advice - skip the Cibo Treats.

On a positive end note, my husband and I shared the dessert wine flight, and this was excellent. We love trying different dessert wines, so to be able to try three, all very different wines, was excellent - and in their own way they were all delicious.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Cibo experience and will certainly be back.

1  Thank BlamboNZ
There are newer reviews for Cibo

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Went here for my partners Xmas dinner. The food was amazing and the service excellent. I had the pork belly for entree, duck as a main and baklava for dessert.
Definitely recommend coming here for a special night out. It was very busy when we were there but we were all well looked after.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This was our family (and business) favorite but the last experience was poor and we wont rush back.

The service and ambiance was the same reliable (good) Cibo that we all know but the Kitchen has dropped the ball.

Small portions and confused recipes. Steak tartar is steak tartar right? Nope - not here - it is 3 or so smears of some sort of mildly uninteresting garnish on a plate with a ultra thin slice of tasteless beef. A long way from the traditional preparation. - ok - interpretation is the chefs privilege I guess, but warn the customer first will you - who really wants to send a meal back when with company.

And whats happened to the reliable duck that was a cibo trademark. Tiny serving of bland duck breast with a truly confusing array of garnish that added nothing to the meal.

That was my meal and my wife's was not much better, shashimi i think it was meant to be, I was not brave enough to try desserts - goodness knows what spin the kitchen would have put on that.

I think that they have let their (previously) well earned reputation go to there heads. We have been there 20 + times but wont be back. Its not cheap I don't like to leave a restaurant hungry and confused.

menu (very) confused, service good, wine list good (pricey though) bathrooms clean (just)

3  Thank Murlin100
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went for a birthday dinner and had a fabulous night. Birthdays in December are always a challenge and Monday night was no different. When we arrived we realised there was a large function on, but not to worry we were greeted and whisked to a bar table in the courtyard for a pre-dinner drink. We were taken to the table and the choices were superb. Entrées of salmon NY bagel, roasted duck popiah and veal corned beef are recommended. Our mains were variable, the venison and tuna were brilliant flavours, unfortunately the scallop special was poor, well cooked but measly scallops even for a queen scallop. We continued with dessert, they were all spectacular! The best part of the night was when we brought the managements attention to the scallop disappointment we were instantly supplied with the Cibo cookbook and heart felt apologies. We left very happy despite the busy night and will definitely choose to go back for a special occasion.

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful evening, wonderful food and amazing staff who really know their stuff.

Ordered mostly from waiters' recommendations which was delicious - between us we had scallops, whitebait fritter (pick of the night!), Hapuka, and Tuna.

Cocktails were some of the best I've tasted, and while the meal set us back a bit, we had an amazing evening, two bottles of wine, and will definitely be back.

One of the best in Auckland.