“My Favorite Auckland Cafe”

Cafe Midnight Express
Ranked #15 of 2,344 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I come here for the mixed souvlaki grill on mash potato every year for the last 10 years. Never disappoints and always consistent. Good food, great price, nice little wine list and polite hosts.

A winner .

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our family had a wonderful meal here last night. Our last night in Auckland and not wanting to venture too far from our apartment, we stumbled upon Café Midnight Express. From the very second we set foot in the restaurant we were attended too, quietly and efficiently. We had the dips and Turkish bread for starter...all home made and completely delicious! It took me all my will power to stop myself from licking the plate! My husband and I had the mezza which was plentiful and totally delicious. Our daughter had the chicken shish which was melt in the mouth. All the dishes were quite substantial and absolutely gorgeous. I highly recommend and am looking forward to visiting next time we are in Auckland!! Do not give this restaurant a miss!!

Reviewed October 12, 2013

I am so outraged by our bad experience at Midnight Express cafe that I feel it is my duty to warn others against it.

First of all, we made a booking for 20 people, but were given barely enough room to sit 16, even though there were still a few unreserved tables around us. So we had to move and reshuffle all the tables ourselves, causing major inconvenience to other people already eating there.

Secondly, it took the waitress a good half hour to bring us the bottle of wine we ordered - and one of the "full bottles" was actually OPENED and ONLY 3/4 FULL! Is that acceptable in their opinion?

When I ordered my starter, I asked the waitress to go find out what kind of vegetables were in their "Roast Vegetables" dish, because I'm on a low-carb diet and cannot eat certain things - but of course, she still placed the order anyway without coming back to tell me what they were.

Lastly, the toilet facilities are just filthy; they really should invest in a designated cleaner on busy nights, because the mess just gets out of hand and there's noone there to clean it up, it seems.

All in all, I doubt we will go back there, out of principle. It's not the first time I've been there, and I used to like this cafe for the Middle Eastern atmosphere, but their standards have slipped, unfortunately.

1  Thank sova_nz
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We came here as a massive booking on a Monday night. The fixed price menu was a great idea, but because of the size of our table, service was very slow. Entrees came out quickly along with wine, and was probably too much, but luckily we ate it as it took 2 hours for mains to arrive. None of us finished mains, they were also huge and little unexpected (I would have assume my snapper would have come with cous cous or something Turkish, not fries. Only a few of us stuck around for dessert being full and pretty tired by the 3 hour mark. They tried as best as they could, but perhaps just not equipped for a boking of our size (40). Food quality was good, some of the meat a little chewy I was told, but am putting this down to them trying to serve so many at one.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Excellent meal which was great value for money. Meals were of a good size and the chicken was very tender.
Service was fantastic.