“Handy location”

Ranked #41 of 59 Auckland B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Handy location”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights and were given a choice of upstairs or downstairs room. Despite being close to the motorway, it was quiet. Kitchen-type facilities in the room could do with being expanded, but excellent breakfasts were included in the price. We visit Auckland every few months and will definitely stay there again. Great value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beryl132

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I guess the new owners are trying to do their best BUT. I would like to be their maintenance person and supervisor I would be assured of a fulltime job for quite a few weeks. Even hiring a "mystery shopper" type guest would be a positive management move.

Reception attention was very good, nice pleasant young lady - tried her best with WiFi and arranged extra cups for visitors that I was entertaining.

Having booked well in advance and explaining we would be using the unit for an important art contest judging meeting with more than 1M3 of packaged art to load in - we were given an upstairs unit - we had arrived at the preadvised check-in time but no ground level unit was available. The stairs were not too high but they are damaged and could dangerous for someone in their 70's lugging large parcels, the nosing on the top step is broken loose -something the host's insurance company might take a dim view of. Fortunately the decking was not wet - in wet weather it would be worse as it is in need of a scrub down or even a decent water blasting although the worn sections might blast away.

We were given a refurbished unit and obviously a lot of money has been invested - but I would have liked to have been there to supervise the renovator. The entire unit has been tiled with large size good quality floor tiles - but why oh why did the tiler recess the grout by up to 5mm deep and point it out 100% square ? - What a disgusting dirt trap. The joints in the ensuite floor were dirty. A steam mop would be a good investment - our wet bath mat came up covered in "mud" from the dirty floor.

Some idiot drain layer has bashed a hole in the tiles at the centre point of the bathroom floor - it's a drain point to clear any accidental floods - a good idea - BUT why is it unprotected and so crudely done - there are sharp jagged edges and it's about 30mm deep before there is a grill. What a great trap to tear off a guest's toenail or even shatter a toe - a simple stainless steel drain cover at the surface level should have been set into this 65mm diameter sharp edged hole. The fan vent in the roof was blocked with lint so is ineffectual - a simple 20 second whip-over with the vaccuum cleaner nozzle would clear that. Where is the supervisor?

The wall tiles are of very good quality but the grout joints for about 300mm around the shower wall lower edge were filthy with black mould, a quick wipe over with a scrubbing brush and a chlorine and water solution would fix that - it was quite off-putting and indicates lack of managerial over-sight.

I did not like the idea of a shower over the bath - especially as there is no safety rail on the wall to hang on to - as a 70+ year old stepping over a very deep bath edge into a slippery plastic tub and shuffling along to reach the shower position behind the free swinging glass screen is quite dangerous especially due to a spinal problem. A hand rail and somewhere to put the soap would be helpful - yes, the soap - more on that later.

I have travelled extensively to 65 countries over a 50 year period so I have experienced a lot of different accommodation standards - but only in the Intourist Hotel in Khabarovsk Soviet Far East did I have a bath and a hand basin with no drain plug. One miserable sliver of "hotel soap" for two people over two days is also rather mean. However, the towels were of superior quality, easily as good as the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong - except when they were replaced on day two the staff forgot to leave face cloths.

As for the bed. Only a "solid" horse-hair squab in Taipei gave me a worse night's sleep (or lack of) - the Prozone brand "Hotel" model mattress was terrible - the springs were right up against the top layer of flimsy fabric and felt ready to pop through - having had major spinal surgery only three months ago I paid the price.. Yes - and the price.. at $130 per night I don't believe unit 36 is good value. It is the most elevated and the end unit on the rear block - which is very close to the railway and the motorway - so I would recommend you ask for a downstairs unit, these are sheltered from outside noise - or choose a unit closer to the reception end of the main block where it is much quieter.

If WiFi is important to you - check that it will work for you - perhaps it was my laptop but I had lots of trouble maintaining a connection. Also another suggestion - why is there no directory or guide of any description within the units? - Simple details on services available - even a card on how the phone system works and how to order breakfast would be helpful.

The kitchen - well it's basic. There is a cheap microwave - (it needed cleaning inside) the sort that you wind the dials around. There is a twin hot plate that you plug in..it is stowed way up on a loose fitting shelf (that falls down) and is 2 metres above floor level - impossible to reach for my 1450mm tall spouse - You drag this down - balance it on the sink bench (I fixed two faulty feet) and plug it into a three pin plug.. One good point - there are plenty of electrical outlets - quite a treat if you are running computers, cellphone chargers and such like.

It pays to check the toaster - ours was full of crumbs and a chunk of a previous guest's toast. Somewhere to phang the tea-towel would be good and a replacement on day two would have been appreciated, hopefully the staff may have guessed that was why we had not dried the dishes when we departed.

The couch is the lounge area is not the best to try and sit on - and several of the eco lighting globes were of the worst green/white low wattage type. I am in favour of eco lighting - but why people choose the worst colour beats me..Why not warm tones?

Room Tip: Avoid the upper units on the South end of the rear block. Access off Gt South Road is good and you...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KiwiBarry
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I was going to give this Motel only a "poor" rating. but after speaking to the owner over another matter, I believe she is genuinely aware of issues pertaining to this motel. It is with this in mind, and with a belief that the quality of this motel might improve, that I give a reluctant "average" rating.
I concur with previous reviews that this motel is in dire need of some renovation. I also acknowledge that it is under new management.
Despite my having booked through one of the attached internet booking agents associated with this property on tripadvisor and advising them that I wanted two separate rooms for two separate guests ,each with a dog, all of this information appears to have not been passed on to the motel. While no fault of the Motel, and accommodation was made possible, the attitude of the receptionist upon arrival, left me feeling that all of the oversight was entirely my fault. Not a very inviting or warm welcome.
Having been given a key, flimsily attached with a piece of thin wire (which soon came apart on numerous occasions), and an incorrect television remote, I was dispatched to my room.
Upon entry, one is confronted by a very dirty carpet, dated furnishings (which included an old table with a broken leg, and a refrigerator that took me a long time to be convinced that it was working), and bench tops that were so badly stained that first I mistook them for being just plain dirty.
The rear door opened into a very unkempt communal backyard that had clearly not been maintained for some considerable time and was the dumping ground for innumerable cigarette butts.
The quilt on one of the beds was also badly stained.
A less than complete guest note folder, was full of dire warnings about how the guest will be charged for any losses or damage incurred (despite many items already missing), and a mention that they have “allocated rooms” for pet owners. I did wonder if this meant that the owners of pets were therefore “allocated” the worst of the rooms the Motel. Later I was to find out that I was NOT in a room allocated as “dog friendly”. So perhaps there are worse (or better) units than the one I had.
I stayed at this motel for five nights, and during that time the room servicing was extremely erratic. Sometimes the coffee and milk was replaced whereas at other times it was not. Bath Towels were always replaced, but this ranged in being supplied with between one to four towels at a time. Face cloths were never replaced, and hand towels only twice.Neither was the bed ever made, bathroom ever cleaned or carpet vacuumed for the entire period I stayed there.
On the positive side, the Motel is close to a major shopping centre, and the motorway, which allows for quick access to other parts of Auckland. It is also very close to public transport systems.
Another positive is the price, but I am not entirely convinced that this compensates for the current condition of the room.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quieter (for you) but noisier for the tenant below.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank FyingKiwi
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This motel is good value for money, well positioned for the motorway and central Auckland, we had an upstairs room with a double and single bed with ensuite, The bathroom was clean and modern and the room was nice, we had views of the sky tower from our room, we had a breakfast their and it was fantastic compliments to the chef, there is a restaurant and bar area with a nice breakfast area, the hosts were friendly and welcoming, I would recommend a stay here if you are in Auckland

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A great place to stay. Great location and very very handy to travel anywhere in the city from there, and public transport just outside the door as well.
Room was clean tidy and comfortable and quiet.
Staff were great and friendly...our first time there but it wont be last now, with just a handy location and great service we shall be back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bulls, New Zealand
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A good motel at an affordable rate would have made me come back. The customer service received during our stay makes this a #1 choice for me in future trips to Auckland. The rooms were quite spacious, quiet and well appointed. The staff went well above and beyond to make our stay comfortable, and memorable. They say the little things make the difference, the staff here did many of these, thank you to all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2013

In terms of the local motels this establishment is indeed 4 stars. I was told that an upgrade is ongoing from enthusiastic new owners which would explain some half finished work. The room I used was spacious with a comfortable bed and quite clean. The staff couldnt do enough to help which was a comment given to me by a fellow patron with which I can agree. Good location and value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mark w
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auckland
Alpers Lodge
Middlemore Motel
Middlemore Motel
#1 of 1 in Otahuhu
540 on Great South Motel

Been to Motel 80? Share your experiences!