“You'll need an escort”

Ibis Budget Auckland Central
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Every single time I tried to enter my room, I needed one of the staff to get me in as my key cards didn't work. The room was tiny, and the wardrobe was in such a stupid position that I could not hang my clothes in there.

The location was undeniable, but then Auckland is a village so it is difficult to be far from the action. The rooms were also loud at night - seems that even at 2:30 in the morning on a week day, Auckland is a party town, and despite windows being closed, the noise of the rowdy party-goers still disturbed my sleep.

Personally, if I ever see the need to travel to that part of the world again, I'll spend a little extra cash for a better place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RedLionsMao
IbisStylesAuckland, General Manager at Ibis Budget Auckland Central, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies regarding the trouble with your key card during your stay, we have fully replaced the lock on the door you are referring to.

Ibis Styles is a budget property, our rooms are compact at 11sqm therefore we do not have full sized wardrobes in our rooms.

The hotel's location is fantastic, though as in any city there will be some additional street noise that is unavoidable in such a prime location.

Thank you for your comments, if you are travelling in this part of the world again and Ibis Styles was not suitable for your business travel requirements, I am sure that one of our other 10 Accor properties located in Auckland will be.

Kind Regards
Caz Vance

Write a ReviewReviews (1,875)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Considering my partner and I have been travelling Asia for the past 10 months and have stayed in some holes this has to be one of the worst places we have stayed.

The rooms were tiny and nothing like the pictures. The bed was dirty and we could hardly fit our suitcases in the room. At night the street noise was very loud and we could only sleep with ear plugs.

I would only recommend this hotel to someone who has no cash and only wants to stay one night!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Genphil
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Enjoyed my stay at Ibis Styles. Rooms are compact yet has what you need for the money spent. If you are looking for Value for Money and a hotel with a realistic Star Rating, this is it. In room glasses and cooking equipment could do with a deep clean, as well as the afternoon and evening staff not playing their iTunes music through the lobby so loud, but overall great.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Ozeboy24
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The only good thing was location - close to Britomart Station where we had to be by 7.10 a.m.

The rooms were small - corridors were a drab and depressing grey. One lift (each lift ony held 6 people and there were 18 floors) has apparently not worked for well over a year and the other one was out of action for some time on the first day we were there. You had to wait as the stairwell was locked!!!

The noise from the night club a few doors down was unbelievable from around 10 p.m. to 3.00 a.m.
After one sleepless night I asked the recptionist if this was usual - he said 'No - the noise was street cleaning' I have never heard street cleaners shouting or screaming and playing deep bass music before!!. I asked if this would hapen again and he said 'certainly not'. The same night I was woken before 11.00 p.m by the noise, which was worse than the previous one and the noise went on until after 3.00 a.m. When I phoned the receptionist at 1 a.m. he offered me the chance to move rooms - why was this not done by the previous receptionist at 5.00 p.m. when I asked him about noise. He also said Auckland City Council would do nothing about the noise.

All in all this was a disastrous place to stay - there were many overseas visitors staying there and I was ashamed ,as a New Zealander, that New Zealand was offering such a poor experience to them and would hope Auckland City Council would get their act together and iimplement some sort of noise control and that New Zeaand Tourist Bureau woudld blacklist this property if they wish to encourage visitors to come to New Zealand

Room Tip: Din't stay here
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 624UsTwo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If this is urban chic its not for me. Room very small but had a budget version of everyting. Tv not flash. Bathroom tight and wet after shower. Noise from the street difficult to keep out as room really hot so need to keep windows open. But - dead handy for downtown Q street. Pub next door has a great selection of beers inc Theakstons draft and bottles of Black Sheep.
Don't pay more than 80 bucks and don't expect much you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank R0gerG
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was my first visit to New Zealand & I was bitterly disappointed in this poor excuse for a hotel. One lift was non functional & staff informed us that it had been out of order for 9 months. I preordered breakfast online at $15NZ/head only to arrive & find out it was a breakfast "pack" containing 2 dry biscuits, a container of milk, a sachet of cereal, a popper & spreads. As I am gluten & lactose intolerant these items were not suitable to me. The room had 2 coffee cups but no bowls so there was no way to even eat the cereal. I asked the staff for a refund as I had 5 people in my booking & at $15/head for 2 nights this was a substantial amount of money. I was told that no refund was available due to the terms of my booking. The staff made no effort to help me out & merely handed over their manager's business card. On the second morning we did not receive breakfast packs at all. The hotel itself is poorly kept & in bad need of a makeover. The rooms are so small & for some strange reason there was a pouffe on top of the bedside locker. I can only think it was because the room is too small to find floor space to put it. There was no reading light & the bathroom looks like it has been added on as an afterthought. The whole floor floods when you shower which then presents a problem during the night if you get up to use the toilet & forget the floor is saturated. There is no soap rail in the bathroom nor a vanity - just a tiny sink so nowhere to put anything. We has no sleep for the 2 nights we were there due to the doof doofing coming from the club next door. The day we checked out, I waited 25 minutes for a lift. Every time a lift came it was already full of hotel staff with equipment & bags of laundry & or other guests. Lugging heavy suitcases down 15 flights of stairs did not appeal to me. Out of interest, I went looking for the stairwell on our level & found it by default as it does not even have a sign on it saying "stairs". I'd hate to think what would happen if this place caught fire. As my first hotel experience in New Zealand, I was a little bit worried what the rest of my trip would bring but fortunately no where else came close to being this bad. Do yourself a favour & DO NOT STAY HERE.
This hotel does not meet the standards I expect from an Accor hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 11, 2013

let's start with what will easily be the shortest part of my review - positive aspects: cheap, good location, nice (though not necessarily helpful) staff.

now the rest... 'pondweed' definitely hit the nail on the head with their review! the day we got there, both lifts were out of order so we took the stairs to the 7th floor manyyy times a day. once we got to our room, we couldn't believe how tiny it was! the tv is so small and signal so bad that it might as well not be there. no tv remote. the power points we had to charge our electronics from hang over and into the sink... clearly a hazard. the bathroom was ridiculous! the shower is not a shower - it is a shower head in a wall surrounded by a curtain. there is no 'shower floor', sloping floor to the drain or cubicle. this results in the bathroom and everything in it getting soaked/flooded when you shower. can't sit on toilet without touching the walls. the first night of our stay was a saturday and we didn't get to sleep til ~4am because the nightclub directly underneath our 'balcony' was sooo loud it felt like i was there! luckily our fridge leaked and soaked the carpet the next day so we moved to a room on the other side of the hotel where the noise was slightly less loud. this room was just as horrible though. dishes did not get taken across our 5 day stay.. finally, we asked staff for washing liquid and made do with the couple of tiny sachets they gave us. sheets were never changed. overall dirty... walls, floor, everything. and even once one of the lifts started working again, we still took the stairs most times because the wait for a lift could easily be ~15 minutes.
very glad we didn't pay the extra for their breakfast, it looked dismal.
bad internet connection in lobby.

so not worth the savings on money. we dreaded the thought of returning to our hotel after a day out. hands down worst experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends