“Avoid”

Ibis Budget Auckland Central
Ranked #52 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This was my worst hotel experience ever! My booking.com confirmation hadn't been logged, although I had copies of the paperwork with me. Eventually was acccepted,somewhat reluctantly.The room was small, no blanket and no heater. Smelled strongly of lavatory cleaner. Only one small lift working for a very tall slim building. Felt very unsafe. Very dark, gloomy corridors. But the worst thing was that THE WAKE UP CALL DIDN'T HAPPEN, despite assurances the night before that it would. I came ultra close to missing my plane. No shower, breakfast or shave. No remorse from the girl at reception either, who seemed to think it was my problem ( which it clearly was!) She'd never heard of trip advisor, but hopefully she will now!.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Only 1 6-pers lift working for a 18 story high building! I don't mind taking the steps but you can do so only on the way down, as the doors are locked (fire regulation they say. But if I can understand that you need automatically closing doors, I don't really see the point of locking the door: fire won't make a difference between a locked and unlocked door).
The bathroom was terrible and smelt like rotten water. The shower is not separated from the rest of the bathroom, whic has a flat floor with a single drain: once you have taken a shower, there is 5mm of water on the whole floor: great when you want to go to the toilet after this. Besides the bathroom walls and floor are made with a kind a plastic material which was moldy by places.
I had two small bag that I had to leave for about 2 hours after checking out. As all their lockers were occupied, they offered me to keep it for the "modest" price of $5 per bag. Given the $129 room rate, I think they could store their customer's bag for a while for free...

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Back at this hotel for the fourth time. Okay, yes it's a very, very small room but the Ibis Styles is extremely cheap for an inner city Auckland hotel. I concede that the corridors are overly dark (Ibis manager, all you have to do is paint the corridors white and hang a few paintings). The second lift is always 'Out of Order', And loud night-time revellers throng the streets .... but you're in the middle of the city, a stone's throw from the wharf, the shops, transport, etc. Surely, this is a trade-off. For a single person, it's much better than a backpackers; it's not like you're going to stay at this place for weeks. Every convenience is in the room: stove-top, microwave, fridge. My only real grouch is no full-length mirror. I love being able to open the window and the sliding door to the balcony. Yes, a balcony where real air comes in, not the air-conditioned type.

Room Tip: a) ask for a view of the harbour bridge. b) if you have no tv remote control, insist on one, don...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Pixiehat
Reviewed November 9, 2012

If you get what you pay for, the Ibis Styles in Auckland proves the the New Zealand dollar is worth very little indeed. The first 15 minutes of our stay consisted of us laughing hysterically. This might seem a little odd, but it's a natural reaction when faced with a joke like the Ibis played on us. The lamps were broken, the draws smashed, toilet seat separated, and one of the two lifts, which services 18 floors, was out of order. There was no air conditioning and the window latches had broken. Thankfully someone ventilated the window with, what my best guess would suggest, a bullet hole. The last straw was when I discovered I couldn't play my 80's mega mix tape as the tape deck was also broken. But even if it wasn't broken I doubt you would be able to hear it over the street noise, which is constant and intrusive.

All of these things could be laughed off, and be put down to being part in parcel of cheap accommodation. What can't be excused is the poor hygiene standards that are kept by the Ibis Styes. While pulling my bed out to plug my phone charger in I discover that they had not vacuumed that part of the room since the hotel was built. The shower floor was rotten and the window ledges are thick with grime. But the worst thing of all was the pubic hair garnish which had been left on the drinking water glasses. Unacceptable!

If you are considering staying at the Ibis Styles in Auckland make sure you exhaust all other options first. Sleeping on a friends couch or in your car would be more comfortable! But seriously, a quality backpackers will be a better option.

Final thought, I'd hate to think what Ibis budget is like!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jimi N
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Rooms were compact and had everything you need but the bathrooms were very dated and weren't cleaned very well and had a blocked drain. One of our rooms booked our friends didn't use the shower as there was still hair and toothpaste splatters in it. The elevator was also very slow

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked in for 2 nights in this hotel, we were totally aware that it would be small, cheap and basic. This I could handle but...

We got there and they had given us a twin room instead of a double, this was fine we got the lift back down to reception and they changed it without a fuss.

We got back into the lift and up to the new room, no duvet. Ok, back to the lift (which was getting tedious as it was the only one) told them there was no duvet, they said they'd send someone up.

Guy arrived with stained and uncovered duvet and blanket.

Decided to get a drink of water at this point and the tap almost came off in my hand. Went to the bathroom and the place stunk like it hadn't been cleaned in months. Tap almost came off in my hand in there as well.

We found another hotel for the second night

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I left a list of problems with the manager.
It is not acceptable in 2012 that a hotel room doesn't have a place to store a case, has no wardrobe, has torn curtains that hang off the rail, has a black and white TV and has a stench associated with heavy body odour.
5 nights of this was too much !!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business