“Rude staff, hard bed, nice location”
Review of Empire Apartments

and 1 more site!
Empire Apartments
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The best thing about Empire is definitely its location, 15 minutes walking distance from the main street. My room was huge, on the 15th floor, very light and full of windows. The problem there is the staff which are not helpful. They are not polite, and, many times, are very rude. When I arrived there, I was told I had to pay 400 NZ dollars as a damage deposit, and I would have a refund of 360,00 on my last day. They would keep 60 for final cleaning. On my last day, they didn't refund 80 dollars and told me they had new prices since january 1st. However, I had arrived there on 3rd Jan and was told it was 60,00. I didnt like it at all. Another bad thing is the smell of the corridor. Lots of students smoke in the premises and the strong smell goes into your room. Those are the drawbacks of Empire. I would recommend it for young people, students, but be careful with what you arrange at the check in. I have to mention the bed is very hard, difficult to sleep on. and the pillows are horrible. Bathroom and kitchen are ok. Concerning security, they mention, on the website, they have 24 hour reception, but this is not true at all. They close at 11 pm.

Room Tip: Choose one of the last floors because of the windows and wind.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Isabela B
There are newer reviews for Empire Apartments

Reviewed March 20, 2013

+ Central location

- During my last 3 weeks was no room service
We fond flea in room one night
One elevator oft broken, sometime people stuck in it!
My deposit payment still hold, I recommend to make room foto on arrival otherwise you may be charge for any damages already was in rooms
Nosy at night, just next to highway
Dirty showers and rooms, but you still will pay for final cleaning, even if no one will clean the room.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms oposite to highway
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Alex L
Reviewed February 10, 2013

stayed at Empire for a year and it was a terrible experience. The staff were incredibly rude. They really don't know how to treat guests well at all! when my flatmates and I first arrived, the apartment was filthy. The carpet was dirty, there was mold on the bathroom floor and ceiling, tap was broken and the list goes on. The elevator broke down at least 4x that year and we weren't allowed to use the stairs unless there was a fire alarm. The beds were also rock hard, fridge was really small and the place is so poorly ventilated. Even though I stayed high up, I could hear people talk outside the building. Don't ever stay here!

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Jasmine M
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I am glad I didn't read the reviews before booking this or else I would have gone elsewhere. We thought the accommodation was fantastic for the price and location. It was clean, spacious, secure and quiet. We had two good sized bedrooms, two showers and toilets, tv, fridge, jug, microwave, sink and cook top. There were clean sheets, towels, soap and shampoo. The staff were helpful and polite. There were no tea towels or coffee cups - but seriously at the price we paid for central Auckland for 4 people ($129) it would seem very petty to complain about this. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank bettybest
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Yeah they have a bunch of bad reviews, but for the price it really isn't that bad.
We stayed there for 3 nights, as part of a conference. The security was impressive, with swipe cards to activate the lift, swipe cards to open your own apartment and keys to each door.
Beds are a little hard, but sheets were clean and room was quiet.
We stayed between university semesters so this might be why our experience was better than many reviewed here.
I would stay there again for the price and location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rstewar1
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We says in these apartments after going to a concert. The staff were so rude it was disgusting! We complained about the bond situation as they said we would get the 150 back when we left, then they changed it to two days later, I was not impressed especially when the receptionist laughed at us and said chill out bro - then went on to yell at us saying it wasn't his problem!

Would NEVER stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Ashie777
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staff here are horrible. We arrived after midnight and were told we couldn't check into our room for an hour and if we didn't like it to leave. Our two double bed room actually contained one double bed and one room with two single beds pushed together. Both were hard as rocks. The place stinks like old food. At check out we left behind a pair of headphones and called the reception within an hour of checking out and were told the room hadn't been cleaned yet and they would call back. When they did call back we were advised the headphones had now been thrown out! No customer service skills at all and just a general dump - I recommend staying anywhere but the Empire.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple