“5 Times I Have Now Visited - 5 star each time”
Review of Gusto at the Grand

Gusto at the Grand
Ranked #53 of 2,403 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Food - great. Waiting staff - great. Bar staff - a bit disconnected from a 5 star experience.

Saturdays are now a bit chaotic getting a table and the welcome to valued customers could be better.

Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

An excellent couple of hours for a special-occasion lunch...a good range of dishes to share. For four of us with varying appetites it was quite hard to guess how many things to order, and because the dishes sounded so delicious we over- ordered. The waitperson helpfully made some recommendations, and also told us which were the larger dishes. Would go back tomorrow to have some more of that pappardelle with wild boar ragu, and the mushroom risotto. The potatoes roasted in duck fat were excellent too. They don't have a separate lunch menu.
The dishes are presented simply. The kitchen is open. They have some great art, including Robert Ellises in the bar. Fab!

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner and breakfast here. The quality of the food was fantastic, and it was really yum. We were almost turned away for dinner as we did not have a booking, although the restaurant looked almost empty. However as we were standing there deciding where to go, they decided to give us a table if we were quick enough. I think instead of turning us away they should have given us the option first and let us make that decision. Although I really liked the food, I thought it was on the expensive side. I also didn't like the way salt was presented on the table, as it was in a little dish and in order to use it everyone sitting at that table had to use their fingers to pinch some out. It was quite unhygienic. I certainly wouldn't ever use that salt as I didn't know how many people had touched it previously (yuck!)
I enjoyed the pastries for breakfast and there was a good range of fruit and some cereal, but that was it. The variety was quite poor yet very expensive ($29 for the cold food, $ 39 if you ordered something hot with it). Not really worth it.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had dinner and breakfast at this restaurant. The price for a full buffet breakfast was 39 NZ $ including hot food, there were not a great deal of varieties but the quality was perfect.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We went to Gusto for dinner last night. It was in the space that Peter Gordons Dine had been in. We had eaten at Dine a few times and it was formal and the tables were very close together.
Gusto is more casual with more space and a casual vibe.
There were 6 of us and 4 of us from Auckland with 2 guests from Wellington.
It was a very enjoyable evening. The company was great but the highlight was the food.
We ordered plates to share. Our waitress recommended 4 entrees and then 4 mains with sides.
Every dish was outstanding with very interesting flavours. Like another poster in this forum, the porcine risotto and boar ragu were out of this world. The potatoes ..ordered for the boys but the girls ate then too were delicious!! My dessert was the pannacotta with pine nuts and passionfruit was outstanding. Please note that the chocolate bar for dessert is a chocolate bar. Don't order it as all the other desserts are brilliant and you will be envious of the others. The rumbaba and the hazelnut with salted caramel....
The food was not slow but not fast.The service was excellent.
If you want a dinner out that is not to formal but with great food , I would highly recommend Gusto.

1  Thank coatesgirl