2,396 results
All reviews sky city hotel fortuna restaurant busy hotel federal street valet parking new zealand central location great room room was large the heart of the city checking out mini bar stayed one night buffet breakfast late check queen street dicky
Selected filters
Reviewed February 23, 2016

Skycity Hotel is a landmark in downtown Auckland, and is home to the Sky Tower, and the SkyCity Convention Centre. The rooms are clean and very well appointed. There is a large flat screen TV, and the complimentary Internet worked fine. The toilets are reasonably well appointed.

My booking did not have the complimentary breakfast, but breakfast is indeed available.

I did have a slightly negative experience with the checkout. Since the hotel's airport shuttle (also billed to the hotel) was leaving at 3:00 pm, I requested by email for an extended checkout at 2:30. In response, I was told that they could "...offer you complimentary check-out till 12PM and after that there will be a charge of $28 an hour."

12:00 noon checkout is customary in most parts of the world, but this hotel appears to treat it as a favour. Further, as a world traveller, I find the $28 per hour charge to be excessive, and somewhat in bad taste (a plain 'no' would have been sufficient at the first instance). Unfortunately, this experience has made my overall impression a tad negative.

In summary, a great location, a great property, but with check-out policies that are somewhat unfriendly.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Colin_McClean, Hotel Manager at SkyCity Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback and positive rating. I am very sorry that the late checkout request was not handled as appropriately as you would have liked. We are committed to doing our best to provide a late check-out. Unfortunately, when we have 100% occupancy, it can be difficult to provide a late check-out. In essence, a late check-out can lead to disappointment for guests when there is not a room available at check-in time. It is a balancing act and we will continue to keep the satisfaction of our guests at the forefront of our decision making. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Reviewed February 23, 2016 via mobile

We have just stayed here for two nights and we thought it was excellent. The service we received from start to finish including the valet parking team, concierge and reception was excellent. Worth particular note is Clara, the woman who serviced our room. My husband wasn't well when we stayed and she was very kind offering us extra tissues and said to let her know if we needed anything else. She was just lovely.

The hotel itself is a very busy place and you don't have to go very far for anything. There are lots of restaurants in the hotel which all looked OK and a convenience store just across the road should you need it. The main bus stops are just outside and the main Queen Street shopping area is 5 minutes walk. The marina is only 10 minutes away.

We had room service last night with my husband still not feeling great and they were really good. They delivers within about 20 minutes, were very friendly and the food was of good quality.

If we go back to Auckland we will stay here.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very pleased that you enjoyed excellent service during your time with us. Thank you for your comments regarding Clara, our restaurants, our location and the quality of food on offer. We appreciate your effort. We are very appreciative of the 5 out of 5 rating you attributed to SKYCITY Hotel.

Reviewed February 22, 2016 via mobile

The hotel is ideal situated to explore Auckland, with easy access to the harbour, shopping area and bus routes. The hotel during our visit resembles more of a building site than hotel. The lobby area and the area surrounding the hotel is under refurbishment and redevelopment.
The hotel rooms are reasonable, but the lobby and eating areas are looking dated.
I would look elsewhere in Auckland for accommodation whilst the building works are completed.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very excited about the upgrade that is taking place in our Atrium area; but I am disappointed that at the time of your visit the look of the Atrium impacted your experience. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

Spent 3 nights here for a conference. The staff were extremely helpful when it came to receiving goods on my behalf and even leaving them in my room for me. Really appreciated the extra effort and politeness of all staff I interacted with.

The only think I would note that as it is connect to a casino, you may come across a few questionable characters but I always felt safe as there always seemed to be staff around.

Date of stay: May 2015
Trip type: Traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. We are pleased we found our team members to be extremely helpful. Thank you for sharing these thoughts. On a side note, the safety of our guests is of paramount importance to us. We are glad you felt safe and supported.

Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

This is our third stay at Skycity and after an issue in our
Sat stay we were given an upgrade to a suite.

This was a wonderful treat, the suite was bigger than many houses I have lived in!

There was a range of seating options which made relaxing very easy. The bed was just right - not too hard, not too soft.

Free wifi is a welcome addition, as is the full sky to channels. This is unusual in kiwi hotels but really should be a minimum.

Assistance with our bags were offered when we stepped through the doors and they arrived just a few minutes after we got to our room.

The bathroom was large and well appointed. Breakfast at the buffet was good, well cooked and with variety.

The staff have been very helpful and friendly.

We have enjoyed our stay and would happily return.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple

I was absolutely delighted to read your review. Thank you very much for your effort. Thank you very much for returning to SKYCITY Hotel and giving us the opportunity to demonstrate the service we expect you to encounter each time you stay with us. We will look forward to welcoming you back again.