“great views worth a look”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #12 of 65 Hotels in Auckland Central
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 21, 2014

nice rooms and great food but the view at the top is what you go for.
Casino is always busy and just like any other but the hotel accommodation is wonderful clean rooms and great kiwi service as you would expect

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul M
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Paul M,

Your review for your visit at SKYCITY Hotel is greatly appreciated; I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and with the Gold Coast only a couple of hours flying time away, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Auckland soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

.....hiding in the mini bar draw UNDER the paperwork.... not obvious ;)

Anyway.... we were offered a night at the hotel courtesy of Sky City Casino, which we took up being it was bang on 10 yrs since our last stay (and 11 years of being together).

Our stay was great except for the following things.... :
* Bathroom door would not shut properly - really had to lean on it to get it to click shut.
* TV selection was very limited - 5 channels of sports though...if your'e into sports.
* Room service on the phone was rather short and lacking any enthusiasm - however it was around 1am when I called :)
* Phone beside the bed was useless (volume kept dropping in and out)

Room Tip: Floor H4 was very quiet and tidy - didnt hear another person the whole time we were there.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Good Morning XPDNZ,

Thank you for your review, could I kindly ask you send me your full name to the email address below so I can investigate your feedback on the room.

We did have an additional channel of sport added for the World Cup, Skysports 5, this has since been removed.

Please forward your name to denny.keane@skycity.co.nz so I can identify the room and make the adjustments needed. I do hope we dont have to wait another 10 years to have you back at the Hotel.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

This place is located in central Auckland and it's within walking distance to the harbor, great restaurants, cafes and bars...
Unfortunately, the rooms and bathrooms leave a LOT to be desired.
They need to replace the mattresses ASAP as they're old and saggy. Seemed like there was sink hole in the middle of our beds.
The bathroom tile was stained and it looked dirty. There was also paint coming off the door.
We will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Denny K, General Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Dear SanDiagoLou,

I was disappointed to read your review on Tripadvisor; we have since replaced the bed in question and in our effort to constantly improve our product have will have replaced over 100 beds in the last month. We have ordered the same mattress and bases as our sister hotel in our commitment to truly provide a world class nights accommodation.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Staid here 3 nights for a conference and the room is fab! Nice decor, clean and spacious. The concierge team (especially dickie) were just so helpful. Asked for a room close to the lifts as the husband can't walk that far and it wasn't an issue. They even recommended valet parking to make it easier for him.

The big (and I mean big) let down was the lift situation. One lift has apparently been out of order since at least May, leaving just one to service the entire hotel. This was mental, you often had to wait a good 10min to get the lift. You couldn't use the stairs as for security reasons the hotel levels aren't accessible coming from the stairs.

A situation occurred when all the lifts broke down and it was mayhem. The staff tried to be helpful but seemed to have no means of resolving the issue. It took over 40 min till I could get up just one floor. I can't believe management thinks one lift to service the whole hotel is ok. This episode has seriously dented my stay which is such a shame.

Room Tip: It is a big hotel, so if you don't like a hike to your room ask for one close to the lift.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Juliette D

Good Morning JulietteD,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor. I will share your feedback with the team as they really take a lot of pride in exceeding our guest’s expectations.
In relation to the lift feedback I can confirm that the lift in question has 1 weeks left before its upgrade is complete. We have tried to allocate times that would least impact our guests but on a few periods of demand this has increased the waiting time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2014

Great location
But room was shabby & needed a good clean. We were moved to another smarter room. Along with the Ants, broken lock on door to room. Air conditioning which could not be turned off.
Return never. On the website , said harbour views.. That a laugh, partially water views more like.
Return never

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. The Rendevous is supposed to be a good one in close proximity of the CBD. The...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Denny K, Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Kim J,

I was disappointed to read your review on Tripadvisor, Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in your stay and I would be happy to discuss your feedback directly. Please feel free to email me on denny.keane@skycity.co.nz

Reviewed July 13, 2014

I keep coming back to SkyCity because it's conveniently located, surrounded by a bunch of reasonable places to eat and drink, and pretty reasonably priced for Auckland. The rooms are starting to date a little but are still in really good nick. It doesn't feel at all like a casino hotel and you don't have to try very hard to completely avoid the gaming floor. The free wifi works and is reasonably quick. The in-house and nearby restaurants are good. I particularly like The Federal just across the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a view if you want one. The rooms are the same price.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Good Morning Guy,

Thanks for your feedback on your visits to us at SKYCITY Hotel, I have updated your profile notes to make sure the next stay with us is had in a room that has been re carpeted, the new luxury carpet looks and feels amazing. The Hotel will be fully re-carpeted by early October.

We are constantly looking to keep our product as a market leader in Auckland, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on our new carpet.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in a suite.

The staff were very friendly and helpful but reception seemed a bit overwhelmed at times. With the construction work outside finding the entrance in rush hour traffic was difficult.

The room was spacious and bed comfortable but little things are a let down,

For example the lower 6 inches of every door in the bathroom and toilet area was splattered and dirty. The sliding doors between the lounge and bedroom had a broken handle and didn't function particularly well. A nespresso machine in the room was a nice touch but only 4 capsules supplied. Only one hotel lift was working so there were delays to get to the hotel rooms.

Room service meal on first night was good and promptly served

We have stayed here and at the Sky City Grand before, not sure would do so again unless it was at a cheap rate, it just seems tired and a bit uncared for.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Sue D,

In relation to the lift feedback I can confirm that the lift in question has 1 week left before its upgrade is complete. I have forwarded your feedback on room cleanliness to our housekeeping manager and will follow up with a number of inspections.

In regards to the construction outside, I am truly glad to inform you that as of this morning the new streetscape is finished, the final product is amazing, the alfresco dining options it gives NZ’s best selection of restaurants adds so much to Auckland and the SKYCITY precinct. We are fully aware this has impacted on the ease of access and sense of arrival to all SKYCITY guests but truly hope on your next visit to Auckland you have the opportunity to use this amazing new space.

Kind Regards,