“The best spot in Auckland”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
UK
“The best spot in Auckland”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our final hotel after driving round New Zealand for a month, the location was second to none, and almost adjacent to the car hire drop off point. The hotel was lively and beautifully decorated. The complex includes several restaurants , casinos, a theatre and a conference centre. It was quiet in the rooms, however. The weather was terrible, so it was great that we could entertain ourselves without going out if we chose. The entrance to the tower is inside the lobby and if you buy a ticket and go up during the day, you can return at twilight and see the sunset - great for photos. Loved this place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank godoit
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Godoit,

Thank you for your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I hope you and your partner had an enjoyable one month tour of New Zealand.

If you have the opportunity to return to Auckland the team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Tracey Walsh
Hotel Administrator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire, England
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel where I stayed on business for three nights. The reception area is super-busy because it’s part of a casino/entertainment complex, but the staff were efficient and friendly.

My room was on the top (4th) floor and very quiet. The bed & bathroom were excellent and the well-designed seating area was a great place to sit down and catch up with emails and family – using the free, high-speed internet. (are you listening ALL hotels in Australia? Including Wi-Fi in the price - shocking).

The immediate area has good quality and busy bars and restaurants that I assume are part of the complex. Outside the immediate area, there seemed quite a few enterprises of a more, shall we say, “exotic” nature ...

Summary : Well located, reasonably priced excellent room. Would recommend.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank JasonLaw_UK
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear JasonLaw_UK

Thank you for your recommendation of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor.

The team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel should you return to Auckland City.

Kind regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel was my first stop on a 2 week solo female trip around New Zealand. I arrived at the Auckland airport after my flight from LAX and took the Super Shuttle to the hotel. The shuttle had several stops to make before dropping me off at the hotel. I was glad my motion sickness pills were still working since there were a lot of winding roads and combining that with jet lag and driving on the other side of the road it could make you ill. The hotel is part of the Skycity Casino. The room was clean and comfortable. I felt safe at this hotel. The hotel was mainly picked for its location and decent reviews. It was easy to walk to restaurants, shops and the harbor. I was using Intercity/Great Sights for some of my transportation during the 2 weeks and their office was conveniently around the block. The Great Sights bus was able to pick me up at the hotel the next day. My view was of a courtyard which wasn't very exciting. I thought the price was a bit high but found most of New Zealand to be pricey. I arrived in the morning after the 13 1/2 hour flight. I highly advise staying awake until night time to reset your internal time clock. This usually works well for me on my international trips. I walked around town and had lunch. For dinner, I decided to eat at the Skycity food court. The meal at an Asian place was awful and I had GI problems the next day. I am unsure if it was the dinner but I don't recommend eating at this food court. I was just pretty tired at that point and didn't feel like going out for dinner. I would recommend this hotel for it's location and cleanliness. There may be better places if you have a car but for me this was the best location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the city or harbor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Travmama,

I hope you had an enjoyable time on your two week tour of New Zealand.

Should you wish to discuss your visit at SKYCITY Hotel in more detail I welcome you to contact me.

The team and I hope you have returned safely to Pittsburgh.

Tracey.walsh@skycity.co.nz
North Island, NZ
Reviewed June 15, 2013

After a busy day my siren call was not the casino or cornucopia of nearby clubs and restaurants but a quiet room, the tv remote, and a selection of Friday night treats. I had booked online for a good price, and my room was itself a treat ... The bed a king sized oasis, as hotel beds should be, the room itself warm and welcoming. The rooms at this hotel are spacious and beautifully decorated, and there is onsite parking. On a rainy Auckland night, this weary traveller felt she'd hit the jackpot.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hi Laurieanddlily,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review to TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to read your wonderful feedback which I have shared with the team.

We look forward to your next stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised when I checked in to Sky City Hotel ... I was informed that I had received a complimentary upgrade. It was a lovely experience. Thank you Sky City : )))
Great staff, very clean, amazing rooms, great facilities. Lots of good, affordable restaurants nearby. I definitely recommend Sky City Hotel for anyone looking for Central Auckland accommodation.

Room Tip: Pray for a complimentary upgrade : )
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Renee B,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor recommendation.

I was pleased to read the team provided you a complimentary upgrade on check-in and assisted in making your Auckland experience extra special.

I hope you and your family have returned safely to Dublin.

Kind regards,
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights whilst attending a conference at the conference centre next door. Excellent room, very well appointed. Loved the free wifi for guests. Central location is ideal for anyone doing anything in the CBD. Great breakfast service and a wide selection of restaurants just on the doorstep.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear LukaszZ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your three night stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

The team and I look forward to your next visit to SKYCITY.

Best,
Gisborne, New Zealand
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I had an amazing stay at skycity. Every aspect of our stay was perfect.Great staff, very clean, amazing rooms, great facilities, great restaraunts and nightlife near by and walking distance to heaps of Auckland activites.
I highly reccomend skycity for anyone looking for Central Auckland accomadation.

Room Tip: Our premium suite was amazing! Highly reccomended
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidandJules,

Thank you for posting your review of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor and for recommending our Premium Suite rooms to our Trip Advisor readers.

Here at SKYCITY we are fortunate to be situated close to many of Auckland’s main tourist attractions. On your next visit to SKYCITY Hotel I welcome you to contact a member of our Concierge team who will happily provide recommendations on must see Auckland sights.

I hope you and your wife have returned safely to Gisborne.

Best wishes,