“NEVER A DISAPPOINTING STAY”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
Bangkok, Thailand
“NEVER A DISAPPOINTING STAY”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My wife and I stay at Skycity Hotel 2 or 3 times a yearm and without fail it is never a disappointing stay.

We arrived at 11:30am on a Sunday morning and we were allowed to check in right away - what more could you ask for!

Our room had been recently upgraded and the newly appointed bathroom had a fantastic ceiling mouted Rain Shower.

The room are always quiet and the staff performance excellent.

Would stay here again without a second thought :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear DiscardA,

Thank you for your recommendation of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I will thrilled to be able to share your wonderful comments with my team.

I hope you have returned safely to Bangkok.

Tracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Excellent hotel to stay in Auckland. It's adjoining to the Sky Tower. I had opted for the premium suite. The suite was very spacious and well kept. The bed was very comfortable and helped me get over my jet lag. The hotel staff is very very friendly and helpful. My casino experience was good. The hotel has a very beautiful courtyard and the Fortuna restaurant is a delight. Lastly my "Sky Tower tour" was very memorable. The view from the Tower is absolutely amazing. The "Sky Walk" awesome. However I missed out on "Sky Jump" and "Orbit Restaurant". If I ever return to Auckland I will definitely put up at this hotel again !!!!

• Stayed December 2012
SKYCITY H, Guest Relations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear ronakpopart,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel

I have my fingers crossed that you have the opportunity to return to SKYCITY and enjoy the 360-degree views of Auckland from Orbit and experience one of New Zealand’s most thrilling tourist attractions the SKYCITY jump.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and found it to be a great location, very central with lots of public transport nearby, making it easy to get to everything. The room we were in was very spacious, and the bed was huge and very comfortable. All the staff we dealt with were friendly and helpful, carrying our bags for us etc.
The only two dissappointing things about the hotel were that our bathroom didn't appear to have a fan in it, which made the room quite steamy/humid, and that we weren't told that we were able to get a discount for skytower entry as we were staying at the hotel. Luckily, we thought to ask before we bought our skytower tickets, so we did get discount passes, but we felt it should have been listed alongside the skyjump/skywalk discounts in the hotel booklet, as surely many guests would miss out on the discount offer.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy M,

Thank you for your TripAdvisor post.

I am pleased to read you received a discounted entrance fee to the SKYtower. Whilst we do not offer discounted rates to all Hotel guests we do have a range of accommodation packages which include 2-for-1 sky tower admission. Please keep an eye on our website and facebook page for our latest package offerings.

The team and I look forward to your next stay at SKYCITY Hotel. Should you wish to discuss your visit in more detail please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,
Tracey.walsh@skycity.co.nz
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I had a great night here, which was a birthday present from our kids. We arrived slightly early and fortunately our room was ready for us. The package included valet parking and when I dropped my keys with the concierge they didn't even need to know which was my car, even though there were several at the entrance. The door key was contactless, which was cool and the room was very tidy.

A bottle of Methode was waiting for us in an ice bucket along with a chocolate strawberry tower and dipping sauce. There was also a bottle of massage oil and a variety of bath soaps and oils. I was surprised that there weren't any robes, but not a biggie.

The view was pleasant, we could see a little of the Auckland Harbour and the Waitakeres. It's not easy getting a view in the CBD as it is small and compact. Unfortunately there was also a fat power cable hanging in front of the window, which you can see on the photo. We were hoping it wouldn't stay, but it did. It's not a huge deal but when its in your face, you see it all the time.

The in room services were good, I was able to plug my iPhone into the alarm clock radio. The WiFi signal was a little weak, but at least there was one. The bed was comfortable. All in all pretty good. We had a little dabble in the casino downstairs and the great thing was no noise in the room even though the casino and bars around it were pumping.

There were a couple of negatives the following morning and its a shame that the last impressions sometimes overshadow the positives, which were very positive. First the youngish guy who delivered the excellent breakfast asked if we enjoyed our 'Do Not Disturb' night as he was leaving the room and starting snickering and looking like he was going to crack up as he left. Obviously he figured we were old enough to be his parents and thought that was really funny. Even if he did think it was funny, he could have waited until he was outside of the room. A little respect goes a long way in the hospitality industry.

When we checked out, they had no cord of the account having been paid in advance despite the fact that my daughter had rung a couple of times to confirm it was all sorted before we arrived. It turned out that Reservations had not passed on the details to the front desk. So we had to wait while the person at the front desk first rang my daughter, then rang reservations, then went and spoke to someone else, came back and finally told us that the $270! (for one night) had been paid. This was really bad. They knew it was a gift and should never have told us how much it was. My daughters were very upset that we had been told.

So would we recommend it? Yes we would, but a little staff training wouldn't go amiss. If there was a TripAdvisor button halfway between average and very good, that would be my rating.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view
Dear BluesBro2012,

Firstly belated Happy Birthday.

I thank you for taking the time to post your comprehensive review of your experience at SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. I appreciate receiving all guest feedback as it allows my team and I to identify areas of improvement to ensure we deliver an exceptional guest experience to all.

I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to fully review the points you have raised.

I hope to hear from your shortly.

Kind regards,
Tracey.walsh@skycity.co.nz
Paihia, New Zealand
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Great place to stay!! Excellent location and you feel very secure there. If you're wanting the casino then this is the perfect spot obviously!! Also really handy to all the shops and other venues you may want to visit. Staff are great and they look after you from the time you arrive to the time you have to leave. If you have young kids or babies, then the rooms are probably not as child friendly as some other places may be. But overall, this is an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Rooms are all great. If you want to see the tower then I would suggest you ask this at the time of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Manager at SKYCITY Hotel at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Sandra310,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I have shared your wonderful feedback with my team.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Duty Manager who can update your guest profile with your preference to be located in a tower facing room. On future visits (subject to availability) the team will allocate you a guest room in this location. Our Duty Manager can be contacted on: guestservicesupervisors@skycity.co.nz

The team and I hope you have returned safely to Paihia.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed here for three nights and found the SkyCity Hotel to be great value.

Our room had a marvellous view of Auckland. The room was spacious and most importantly tidy and warm. The location is great - with the SkyTower and dining options attached to the Casino meaning you don't have to venture too far for something to do or eat. We found all the dining options to be good value. It's also worth noting the hotel has free wifi that works very well.

For the price we thought this hotel represented great value. If you want a sleep-in make sure you put the 'do not disturb' sign out as I found housekeeping comes knocking fairly early (from about 9am onwards). If I was going to be picky the elevators perhaps need a bit of a refurb but it really is a minor point in an otherwise great stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaalilu, Hotel Manager at SKYCITY Hotel at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Nick W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel.

I was delighted to read you enjoyed your three night stay. The team and I look forward to your next visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

I hope you have returned safely to Brisbane.

Best,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here for a conference - has an internal walkway linking the Sky City building to the convention rooms over in the Grand Hotel building. Great for those cold wet Auckland days.
Got a great deal via their direct website for $125NZ a night.
Room was modern, clean, spacious.
Room service quality was one of the best Ive ever had. (better than alot of five star $300+ Grand Hyatt type hotels!) Try the lamb cutlets - 8 massive cutlets for around $32 NZ i think. Easily enough for 2 people.
I was initially a little concerned about staying in a casino complex, but there was nothing to worry about. No loutish behaviour, still has a nice luxury hotel feel to it.
Food - Don't go to Auckland without eating at "The Grill"
The BEST meal I can remember! Good value for money by Australian standards, service was exceptional, and the quality of the meat - perfect!
Even the conference food was amazing.
The Orbit restaurant was also amazing - i have seen some bad reviews for this saying you go for the view not the food, but i was very impressed by the 3 course for $69NZ. The veal entree is divine.
Great location - got my tick for having a convenience store only metres away on the corner of the block.

Room Tip: Even the basic rooms here are great. I wouldn't bother paying extra for a bigger/better room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank therockjedi
Dear msjedsy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I have shared your wonderful feedback with the SKYCITY Hotel In-room Dining Manager and with the team from The Grill and Orbit.

I hope you have returned safely to Australia. The team and I look forward to your next visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

Best wishes,