“Great hotel in the heart of Sky City right under the tower!”
Review of SKYCITY Hotel

SKYCITY Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
GreenLeadersGold level
London, UK
“Great hotel in the heart of Sky City right under the tower!”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A grand hotel right in the heart of Auckland right under the tallest tower in the Southern Hemisphere. The hotel was very crowded (as were most hotels in Auckland that week) and this one in particular on account of visitors going in/out of the Sky Tower tours right through the lobby. The bay facing rooms (Hobson St) on the higher floors (3 or 4) were good (I stayed in 430 for 2 nights) but the inside facing rooms (stayed in 429 for 2 nights) were rather dreary. I think the two rooms that I stayed in were for handicapped people and the shower was a huge space with a weird shower curtain that really didn't protect the space on the outside of the shower area and got completely wet but at least the floors were not slippery. The room was spacious with two large double beds, coffee/tea making facilities, wardrobes, iron+board, table and free wifi. There was no breakfast included on our rate but there were a couple of cafes literally around the corner and I used the Coffee Club and Dennys for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for Bay rooms (Hobson St)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank VJ_London2World
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear VJ_London2World.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to read you had the opportunity to sample a range of our different room offerings. Our accessible room is always the last room type to be sold. It is our standard practice to inform our guests the room type booked when making the reservations. I apologise if this was not clearly communicated to her.

The team and I look forward to your next visit to SKYCITY Hotel.

Admir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Napier New Zealand
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Overall the hotel delivered what you would expect from this Class of Hotel. There was certainly nothing spectacular. The TV froze and it took 2 attempts to have it looked at. The Compendium was not up to date which resulted in another phone call to reception

1 Thank ctbates
Dear Ctbates,

Here at SKYCITY we strive to provide an exceptional experience to all our guests. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to fully investigate the points you have raised.

admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz
London
Reviewed February 28, 2013

When we arrived the lobby area was very busy with Chinese New Year celebrations, we were checked in quickly though. The room was quiet no noise from downstairs or from the casino which is part of the hotel.

The room was very comfortable and there was plenty of room for all of us (2 adults, 2 children) . Staff were helpful and made some good recommendations for restaurants near by. You are of course right next to the sky tower and you can walk to the marina area in 10-15mins.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AdamWorld
Dear Adam World,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor. I hope you have returned safely with your family to London.

Best wishes,
Cambridge
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having stayed at Sky City many times by far this was the best! The room make overs have lifted this hotel from beautiful to elegant and like no other. The shower coming straight from the roof felt like I was in a tropical paradise. Could not get out! The staff always so willing to help and always with a friendly smile. Chinese New Year made the hotel come to life with lots happening and gorgeous decorations. Always recommend this hotel as a place to stay. Can't wait to get back there!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Bexmacp
Dear Bexmacp,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel. The team and I are incredibly proud of our newly refurbished designer bathrooms which feature European tap ware and walk-in showers with ‘rain shower’ shower heads. Please be assured I have shared your feedback with my team.

I look forward to your next stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Skycity is a great hotel which we have visited numerous times due to its central location and easy access to entertainment and restaurants in the area. We arrived for two nights on the 14th of feb, and were greeted by friendly staff at the valet who happily arranged to have our baggage taken to our room and pointed us in the direction of the front desk. The room was great apart from a lightbulb which had blown, but that was not a major hassle in the end as we made our way to the city/casino. Great stay, would happily recommend, sleep was easy, great value for the package we purchased, and the breakfast at fortuna restaurant was again amazing. Thanks SkyCity!

Dear Barney M,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. I have shared your wonderful feedback with my team. Please keep an eye on our website and facebook page for updates regarding latest hotel package offerings.

The team and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Best,
Southampton
Reviewed February 26, 2013

we stayed in the Skycity for one night in february, as part of a four week tour of both islands. It is a busy place, which you would expect for a city centre hotel. The room overlooked the harbour bridge side of Auckland and was very clean and comfortable. Being in the city centre there is constant traffic noise, but what can you expect. We had a beautiful sunny day for our trip up the tower, which was stunning, and a must do. I'm glad we only stayed for one night, but that night was very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Moosh64,

I hope you had an enjoyable trip around the South and North Island of New Zealand and have returned safely to Southampton.

I was delighted to read you had a beautiful day for your SKYTower experience.

Kind regards,
Wellington New Zealand
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had booked an ordinary room for one night when I was in Auckland to see Manhattan Transfer. I chose Sky city as it is close to The Civic Theatre. When I arrived I was told I had been given an upgrade to a harbour view suite. This was gorgeous. Extremely large lounge and separate huge bedroom, fantastic views, spotlessly clean, and the most beautiful bathroom. Extremely comfortable bed, lovely toiletries - everything was great. The only downside was the extremely crowded lobby which made it difficult to get through to the check in desk.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jerseyboysfan
Dear Jerseyboysfan,

I am delighted our team upgraded you to a suite and assisted in making your Auckland experience extra special.

My team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel should you return to Auckland City.