“Consistently good”

GreenLeadersGold level
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Consistently good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Sky City has the right mix of location, pricing and tasteful, clean amenities. Well done SkyCity team - you are doing (a) the city and (b) NZ proud. For last minute bookings, something spontaneous and most assuredly, discrete. There's also a decent casino up top!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Norheim R
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Norheim R,

I hope you had an enjoyable time in Auckland and have returned safely to Sydney.

Thank you for reviewing your experience at SKYCITY hotel on TripAdvisor. Please keep an eye on our website for our latest package options which offer exceptional value for money in addition to a taste of some of the best experiences SKYCITY has to offer.

Admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Once you get past the tacky foyer and casino area, you realise you are staying in a very fine hotel. All the staff, without exception, were friendly, helpful and efficient and really went out of their way to do everything they could to make our stay comfortable. Special mention of concierge Brendan (I think) who looked up bus timetables, cinema listings, found discount vouchers and even took us to the right bus stop to make sure we got to the right place.

The location is superb - right in the centre of the city, well located for a short walk to the harbour, bustling Queen Street and other attractions, as well as transport links.

The accommodation is also first class; very well appointed rooms with contemporary furniture and décor. The bathroom was modern, spacious and everything was super clean. Lovely bathroom products too. We ate breakfast in the Fortuna restaurant which was really excellent - it's a self-service buffet with a huge amount of choice, there were at least three different choices of eggs, for example. Best breakfast of our trip to NZ!

We didn't eat dinner in any of the restaurants in Sky City as they all seemed a bit pricey or horrifically busy, but there are lots of cafes and restaurants in the streets surrounding the hotel, so this isn't an issue. It's a shame the swimming pool is across the road, but this was a small price to pay for staying in this excellent hotel. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would stay here again without hesitation if I ever am lucky enough to return to Auckland.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LJaneUK
Dear LJane UK

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor.

I was thrilled to read your wonderful comments. In particular your feedback “all the staff without exception, were friendly, helpful and efficient and went out of their way to do everything they could to make your stay comfortable” Please be assured I have shared your feedback with my team.

I wish you a safe journey back to the UK. Should you return to Auckland City my team and I would be delighted to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel.

Kind regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

My family and I stayed at SKYCITY Hotel for a weekend. Check-in was of an expected standard considering the vast size of the hotel. One cannot forget that this hotel runs on the success of a Casino and so the lobby is often crowded and lively with cigarette smokers, high-rollers, and penny-less gamblers lingering throughout.

The Casino and the hotel’s ideal location give it that vibrancy that some people tend to thrive on and others find that it is not their cup of tea. Those that find it is not for them dislike the lack of charm which it fails to excel in as it is not a fully family-first hotel nor is it one of complete relaxation and tranquility.The standard was somewhat expected and even though there was baby-sitting available there was no kids club which was expected in such a highly facilitated hotel such as this.

Personally it was a pleasurable experience for my family who found it hard to believe that a hotel of this caliber had to share a pool and gym with another hotel (same chain) across the road. Added to this flaw is the walk from outside the hotel across the street and into the Grand Hotel lobby (to my families embarrassment) as the Sky-tunnel to the hotel was closed due to a function on its floor level which is the Convention Centre and protests down below (which wasn’t the hotels fault).

The rooms themselves were great - good sized beds, comfortable and clean with the unique touch of an iPod docking station, yet I found the remote for the television a challenge as the signs/markings had worn off and the quality of the TV lacking considering its size. Not to be a pessimist but the windows were dirty and needed a clean and the air conditioning was tricky to manage. Despite this, the rooms were pleasant and welcoming.

We ordered Room service which was of an expected price and quality but there was nothing which blew us away. I found that the best meals i.e. the most tastiest/reasonable priced food was after-hours which somewhat let the in-room dining service down. The only reason which explains this defect is profitability. If it weren’t for this the Hotel would have these popular after-hour meals available all day.

My family and I were not tempted by the overpriced and lively restaurants in the Hotel/Casino which were overflowing with people and instead traveled to other restaurants outside of the hotel.

We did go to mass on Sunday at St Patrick's Cathedral which helped to rejuvenate our experience that weekend and we highly recommend a visit. We also had breakfast at the much more reasonable and get-what-you-pay-for Deny's nearby.

Final tips: If you want more towels just borrow them from the Gym in the other Hotel and if you want a complimentary newspaper get them from the table near the elevators on your floor.

If you’re looking for a relaxing stay with a reasonable price then the hotel is an adequate one but if your willing to fork out more money then I recommend other hotels in Auckland to fulfill your desire.

There are open courtyards for fresh air and the lounge couches seem to offer a hint of charm at the end of the hallways allowing for some quiet time away from the liveliness of the lobby and Casino atmosphere with beautiful pieces of artwork on display.

All-in-all giving the nature of the hotel and its minor faults, our stay was enjoyable and the nights sleep a pleasing one. We will certainly visit again but it may not be our first point-of-call.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Saifiti
SKYCITY H, dmir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Saifiti,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel. I enjoyed viewing the pictures you posted of the gym and pool at SKYCITY Grand in addition to the hallway of SKYCITY Hotel.

I am very excited to inform you SKYCITY Hotel will soon be complete with a new gym which will be located on H4. Planning is now finished and we start construction in January 2013. We look forward to being able to offer this new facility to our guests from March 2013.

With over 25 restaurants and bars located in SKYCITY there is something to suit all tastes. Should you require recommendations on child-friendly restaurants please contact our concierge team at Hotel.Concierge@skycity.co.nz who will happily supply you with recommendations based on your requirements and preferences.

We have recently changed our newspaper delivery system. We will still gladly deliver newspapers to all guests on request. Please notify our guest service representative on check in if you would like this service.

I hope you and your family have a lovely Christmas and my team and I hope to welcome you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Best,
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's not easy to find good value family accommodation in the middle of a major city, but this place has nailed it. Two double beds in Motel 6 style meant that we could fit two adults and two teenagers in one large room, and we were impressed by the lovely staff (first time I ever heard room cleaning staff laughing while they worked!) and perfect location. It was easy to get there from the airport by skybus, walking distance to the ferry terminal for Rangitoto, there's a bus stop outside for the zoo, etc. A tip for those on a budget - there is a New World Supermarket at 125 Queen Street that sells precooked food, ideal for a picnic in the room. Thanks Sky City for a great time - we'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the courtyard, then you have a bit more space with tables and chairs outside
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear travellinman2112,

I hope you have a lovely break over the holiday season and a safe journey back to Thailand.

Thank you for your room tip. Our courtyard rooms have proven particularly popular with guests who wish to enjoy our outdoor area. Please do not hesitate to contact me with your details and I will update your guest profile with your room preference.

SKYCITY Hotel is located in the heart of Auckland City and we are fortunate to have a number of Auckland’s main tourist attractions on our doorstep. On your next stay please do not hesitate to contact our concierge team who will happily provide recommendations on Auckland ‘s must see sights.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

We were very lucky when on arrival we were told that we had a premium single bedroom suite. Wow, we couldn't believe the room! Aside from the nice big bedroom with comfortable furniture and a good size flat screen television there was a separate lounge room with more casual seating and another flat screen television. The bed was blissfully comfortable.
I loved the shower. It was a good size and had a large dome shower head directly above so it was like showering in gentle rain. All of the room furniture and facilities were modern and felt a "bit upmarket" so it was a nice experience. And there was an in room safe.
We had breakfast in the Fortuna Restaurant which had very ample choice.
If you arrive by car you are best to go directly to the car park on the left as you come down Federal Street (as long as you are able bodied). Park and then take the Atrium lift up to reception. Make sure you advise reception that you have parked and on departure they will give you a ticket which gives you free exit from the car park.
Check in / check out was efficient and the service was friendly. We really enjoyed our brief stay but without a doubt the room upgrade made it extra special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kiwis-two
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Kiwis-two,

My team and I were thrilled to read you had a lovely experience during your recent stay with us.

Here at SKYCITY Hotel we celebrate great feedback and I have printed your review and posted on our team notice board.

I encourage my team to go above and beyond to provide an exceptional guest experience and I am thrilled to read you were complimentary upgraded to a suite.

We hope you had a safe return trip to Tauranga and look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel on your next visit to Auckland.

Best
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed here for one night on our last day in NZ before returning home.
We had booked the 'do not disturb package' which included some bubbly, soaps for a bath , fruit platter , breakfast and valet parking.

Upon arriving we were pleased to be informed that we had been upgraded to a suite! It was very nice and extremely spacious , modern and importantly very clean.

We found staff to be very helpful especially when we needed help deciding on a place to eat.
Its a nice little hotel and was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel A
Dear Daniel,

I hope you had an enjoyable time in New Zealand. We are delighted you opted to stay with us at SKYCITY Hotel during your time in Auckland City.

Over the years the 'Do Not Disturb' package has proven popular with many of our guests. It is exceptional value for money with one night in a Premium King or Twin room, chilled champagne, fresh seasonal fruit with chocolate dripping sauce, a selection of high quality soaps and massage oil, room service breakfast for two, late check out and valet parking all for only $279 including GST. I believe this package would make a great Christmas present for friends and family.

We hope you return to Auckland in the near future and my team and I would look forward to having you stay at SKYCITY Hotel.

Matawaia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I regularly stay at SKYCITY hotel Auckland. The service is GREAT!!!! I am greeted with respect and offers of help with luggage. The concierge and his staff are particularly helpful and I observ e them and their kindness to all the guests.
Rooms are great and so is the in room dining meals. Price is reasonablew.

Room Tip: The higher numbers are closer to the lifts so you dont have to walk the long corriodor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tainuku
Dear Tainuku,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the level service provided by our Concierge team, we are proud to have two members of The Hotel Concierge Society Les Clefs d’Or New Zealand as part of our Concierge team.

My team and I take immense pride in the level of service we provide to all guests. Please be assured I have shared your review with the team at Wednesday morning’s briefing.

Please contact me with your details and I will update your guest profile with your room preference.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,