“Great Value for Money”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nelson, New Zealand
“Great Value for Money”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We found a special school holday deal on WOTIF for Sky City and it gave us excellant value for money, we basically free tickets up to the Sky Tower. The room was lovely, we had everything we needed, and the staff were very friendly & prompt with their service. There was a number of options to dine in, and we chose REBO as we just wanted a light snack, there was a good selection, good prices and very fast service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Wendy N

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. It made my day to read your comments regarding my teams friendly and prompt service. Our team were delighted to receive your comments.

I agree Rebo is a perfect place for a light meal with indoor seating and al fresco dining available. It is great for a coffee with friends, or a pre or post theatre drinks in the evening.
I hope your children enjoyed the school holiday activities around the observation levels of the Sky Tower.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY soon.

Best,
Admir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a high level room, which was very nice. The staff was friendly. The dinner meal and breakfast were very good. We watched people bunge jump from the top of the building (but we didn't do it!). The glass floor areas at the top of the building were interesting. We had an overall nice experience at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DJH2010
Dear DJH2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. Our team strives to deliver exceptional customer service and they were pleased to read your positive comments.

Having done both the SKYWalk and the SKYJump myself, on your next visit I would recommend you to have a go on the SKYWalk. This experience allows you to walk the 1.2 metre-wide walkway around Auckland’s famous Sky Tower – 192 metres off the ground. Our concierge staff will be more than willing to assist you with your booking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Hotel in the near future.

Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed October 11, 2012

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights at the end of September this year for my 21st birthday. Checking in after a late flight from Australia (arrived at the hotel around 12.30am) it was nice to be greeted by a friendly receptionist, who was very helpful and ensured our check in was smooth. We were slightly confused with the elevater process (a long day of travel probably not helping) but once we worked it out it was quite easy. We booked a Premium King room, whice was spotless, HUGE bed (although it was two singles pushed together) and clean bathroom. Our view from the window was of the internal courtyard area, however this was not a big issue as we spent most of our time outside the room.

As for the facilities inside the complex, I couldn't have been happier. Large gaming area (for those who are into that sort of thing) - Awesome staff at the Aces bar, which came to be one of our favourites, especially with the Nachos! The first night we were so relieved to be able to eat a real meal at the Deli at 1am, reasonably priced as well. The night of my actual birthday we went up to twentyone, which is hands down one of the best bars I've been too. Professional, friendly service, bar staff who knew every trick, and the best part - Flaming Shots!
Overall, I was very happy to stay here and it made our holiday so much better. 5 minute walk to the shops on Queen St, taxis always available out the front, breakfast in the lobby, bus stop just out side...

Thanks for making our trip memorable, we really enjoyed our stay and will be back sometime to do the SkyJump!

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a better rate, and make sure to check out the twentyone bar and Aces!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChandJo
Dear ChandJo

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and photos of SKYCITY Hotel on TripAdvisor. Firstly I would like to wish you a happy 21st birthday; I was delighted to read our team assisted in making your birthday week special.

I have shared your wonderful comments with the team at Aces and twentyone. I agree Aces is a perfect place to enjoy a great range of cocktails and tasty menu options. After your comments I will need to try the nachos on my on my next visit.

SkyJump is one of New Zealand’s most thrilling tourist attractions and one of those don’t miss Auckland experiences. I am pleased to read this is on your to do list on your next visit to SKYCITY Hotel. Our Concierge team will be happy to assist with your booking requirements.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I just spent 6 nights at this hotel. The company travel bureau made the reservation. Upon arrival there was no greeting by park nor bell staff. We did manage to find the reception desk in this busy casino lobby. Reception was polite and professional. The hallways were quite grim and carpets could use a good cleaning or replacement. Upon entering the room the first impression was that it was grim. Very dark but adequate. Room was clean and a good size. First extreme negative was the very visible lumpy bed. The king bed had a very noticeable ridge protruding from the center. We were tired and did not ask for another room until the next morning. The front desk staff told us that all rooms were the same. A call was made by the front desk to housekeeping and from the response it was apparent that housekeeping knew these mattresses were lumpy. For this reason alone, I would never return given a choice. In fact my partner is back in Auckland and now staying at the Langham. I believe her company will no longer book at this hotel. Also upon arriving at the room we ordered from room service immediately. We ordered a seafood platter. This had to be the worse food ever. Macca's would be upscale in comparison. The calamari rings were some paste concoction that was previously frozen. The shrimp came wrapped in some sort of tortilla. Again all was frozen, nothing fresh. Given all the seafood available in NZL why have this crap? Due to work schedules we had to order breakfast from room service everyday as well. The big breakfast which was 31 NZL was indeed large but the potatoes were again a frozen greasy patty, yogurt came in a plastic breakaway container, cereal in a small box, and cold press coffee. The fruit was canned and never fresh. No imagination. We ordered further dinners from the casino restaurants that were just slightly better. The food charges were in line with much better quality restaurants but we did not have time to go out. During the 6 days we ordered almost 400 NZl dollars of room service food and none was good except for the beer in a bottle. If a Mc Donald's had been across the street we would have eaten there. If you must stay here do not order room service . While all staff were friendly no one seemed to care about the condition of the rooms. We did stay in room 456 if management cares to check out this mattress. No one cared while we were there. For just a little more stay at the Langham or elsewhere.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Susan M

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I was sorry to read of your feedback. Please be assured this is not the high level of service I or my team takes pride in. I welcome you to contact me with your details to allow me to respond to the points raised.

I hope to hear from you shortly.

Kind regards,
Admir Mullaaliu
Hotel Operations Manager
admir.mullaaliu@skycity.co.nz
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay at the Sky city Hotel for 2 nights last week, and I wanted share how much I enjoyed my stay!
From the prompt check-in, the friendliness of all staff (concierge, reception, room service, and house- keeping), to the room cleanliness, and prompt, piping hot room service, the experience was both pleasurable and faultless.
I would like to congratulate SkyCity on a number one Hotel! Rest assured I will look no further when travelling again to Auckland, and will share my experience so friends will also be able to enjoy your facilities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear 691GilliB,

Many thanks for your review of SKYCITY Hotel.
I was thrilled to read you had a pleasurable experience and I have shared your feedback with my team.

We look forward to welcome you back.

Best
Oz
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Booked the hotel on work collegue's recommendation that the bed is extra large. Well, true to their word, the bed can sleep 3 people comfortably (super king size?). The other attraction was that it's the location of the Sky Tower Jump which I had intended to do but due to the wind and rain, did not happen.

Other good things about the room: large bathroom/toilet; a nice lounge to sit and plenty of power points to recharge various devices.

Other good things about the hotel: wide corridors - unlike many hotels, the extra wide corridors means that there's plenty of room to pass people when you have lots of luggage. There are also many lounge chairs, lounges and comfy seats to sit in the corridor area and read etc while enjoying the sun and/or looking out to the city views. A terrific idea! Housekeeping staff are generally very friendly.

Only had 1 staff that was rude. Knocked on the door and just flatly told my travelling companion that he was there to empty the minibar, half way during our stay. No questions, no 'please' - just took all the minibar stuff away. This perplexed me when my friend told me about this on my return to the room and so I rang and complained that no one in our room authorised this and made them come back and restock the minibar. I found out later a large tour group had just checked in and requested this for their group but the hotel made a mistake with the room number. I understand that mistakes can be made but it was more the rudeness of this staff member that had me riled. At the very least he should have asked whether my companion is part of the tour group. I did complain to management but what can they do as it had already happened.

Apart from the mishap above, I would still recommend this hotel. Lots of nice places to eat around the hotel. See my other recent reviews of Auckland restaurants (e.g. Bellota) for more info.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SKYCITY H, Admir Mullaaliu, Hotel Operations Manager at SKYCITY Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear TheUnicorn,

Thank you for your recommendation on TripAdvisor.

Our team strives to deliver an exceptional customer experience and I was delighted to read you positive feedback regarding our room attendants. Please be assured your experience with our team member clearing your mini bar is not the high level of service I or my team takes pride in. Your comments will be used as a coaching tool and I sincerely apologise for your experience.

On your next visit I hope you have the chance to enjoy extreme sightseeing on the SKYJUMP, which has been described as base jumping, while attached to a wire – just like a movie stuntman! You’ll fall very fast (approximately 85kph) for around 11 seconds, and then come to a very smooth landing in the Sky City plaza below.

Our team looks forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY on your next stay to Auckland City.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Central in the heart of Auckland city - right near the iconic Skytower, the accommodation is fantastic, serviced everyday! The downside was laundry pricing but all in all a comfortable stay. the main location of the city is only a hop and a skip away and you will not have to travel far to close by restaurants and cafes. Superb accommodation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Nikitajmb,

Please be assured I have feedback your wonderful comments to my team.

SKYCITY Hotel is located in the heart of Auckland City. Close to some of the must see sights in the City, such as Waitmata Harbour, Auckland Art Gallery, shopping in High Street, Chancery Lane, and Britomart. I am delighted to read you found our accommodation “fantastic” - a visit to the SKYTOWER can be a great viewing point for these attractions.

If you return to Auckland we would love to welcome you back to stay with us.

I hope you had a safe return journey to Melbourne.

Best