“Trendy, but affordable hotel in Auckland”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed February 2, 2011

We stayed at the Quadrant during our honeymoon in New Zealand. It is a trendy hotel that is in a decent location in the city. The room wasn't huge, but it had a balcony and a nice view of the park. We had to walk a bit more to get to some of the tourist attractions in Auckland, but the hotel is in a nice neighborhood and we were able to valet our rental car in the hotel's garage. The staff were very friendly (everyone in NZ is) and were happy to give us suggestions for restaurants and places to sightsee. They were also very nice about letting us keep our luggage by the front desk (and our car in the garage) a few hours after check out the next day. This was we were able to continue to sightsee before heading to our next destination.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ktklein

Reviewed January 30, 2011

Yes, it's on a hill. The city's full of them. I thought the location was great. A quick walk and you could be in the downtown core to access ferries, restaurants, etc. Yes, the place is under-staffed and the staff that are here are clearly somewhat inexperienced. (The concierge doesn't return emails and doesn't know much about the area's attractions or restaurants.) And, the soundproofing could be a bit better around the doors. But, look, you get a small, well-appointed room (I stayed in a studio for three nights) with kitchenette, laundry, free wifi and access to a gym and sauna...for a pretty good price. I think that's the key part...what price you pay. I booked through a 3rd party site and paid about 50% less than what the hotel quoted me. If I'd paid their rate..I would not have been as satisfied.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2011

We were extremely fortunate to happen upon this hotel when we needed an extra night in Auckland and were unable to secure a spot at the hotel where we had spent our first two nights. Lucky for us! The Quadrant hotel was the nicest, cleanest, and best hotel we stayed at during our recent trip to Australia and New Zealand. It is just a few blocks from the city center, up a very steep hill, across the street from a lovely park. Although it takes a few minutes to get there (walking), it is well worth the strenuous climb. Although we arrived early at 11:00 and were prepared to have to wait for our room, they checked us in immediately. The room we had booked was a studio, but we were given a one bedroom instead. Although we were right across from the elevator, there was very little noise, and the room itself, although compact, was lovely. We had a small kitchen, complete with dishes and cooking utensils, a washer/dryer for clothes, dishwasher, fridge, and microwave. The bathroom although small, was new and well equipped. We had a balcony with a view of the water, and a sliding glass door, as well as quiet and efficient air conditioning. It was really nice to be able to feel what the temperature was like outside, by just walking out on the balcony. The hotel security is such that only those staying on a particular floor can key the elevator so that it will go to this floor. We were so impressed with our stay that we returned to this hotel once more upon our return. They will park your car, but check the rate, as it can be expensive. If you don't mind walking up and down hills, this is a great place. Note there are many inexpensive car rental places down the street on Beach, and a very large Supermarket down the hill near the water as well. This is a great place to stay for an extended period and caters to many families, couples, and various other travelers. And yes! Free internet access in your room! Amazing, but true!

Reviewed January 27, 2011

The hotel rooms/apartments are nice and spacious. However, the location of the hotel is on a steep hill, which means that if you're coming back from the city centre you have to climb it (really hard). It's OK if you have a car, or you don't mind taking taxi's. Another option is to take the tourist bus that stops near by, but it's not that frequent and you have to wait and wait... so, FYI.

1  Thank ismizrachi
Reviewed January 25, 2011

The service at this hotel could use improvement. They made many efforts to be accommodating but were often stretched too thin. We often waited for our car to be brought up by the valet because they were too busy. We also waited so long for our luggage to be brought up to our room (as they insisted) that we went down and brought it up ourselves. The cleaning staff were friendly, but mis-took several of our items for garbage (wine luggage box, razor case) and threw them out and the hotel never replaced them.

The room had everything we needed but it was small. The bathroom was especially cramped.

The location is very close to the port and other nice villages - although is located on a steep hill. We enjoyed the hot tub but the gym was very small. Breakfast was not included and was a fortune.

We liked the location and the style of the hotel but were always nervous to approach the front desk incase they were in a bad mood.

I would recommend the Hyatt next door which is only a little but more expensive each night (we stayed there for one day before the Quadrant because they were booked up and wouldn't accommodate early check-in). it has excellent concierge and amenities.

Reviewed January 22, 2011

Wow!! Made a reservation for two nights at this hotel for our last two days on vacation in wonderful New Zealand. I was so very impressed with our stay there. Very, very helpful staff. We booked a great rate that included free high speed internet. Reserved a one bedroom apartment. Extremely clean and a fairly well stocked kitchen - we even cooked one night. Great small refridgerator; very comfortable bed. The bathroom was small, but quite big enough for the two of us. Shower was great. Brilliant tv. Great distant view of the harbour. Delicious breakfast and coffee. The bar looked wonderful, too. Would go back tomorrow if I could. Oh, before I forget - the location is perfect. Right next to Albert Park, close to Queen St., great shops, fantastic restaurants. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is the third review that I have written about my stay. The previous two were taken down by Tripadvisor for reasons that I do not know.
I relocatd to Auckland in February 2010 and my employer arranged three weeks at the Quadrant. I stayed on my own for a week and a bit in a two bedroom unit, before my wife and daughter joined me for the second half of the stay. The unit wasn't too bad. Very small, and good have done with a better clean. The kitchen table that had holes in it (by design) was a triumph of (dubious) style over utility. The hotel seemed to have attracted many old fat businessmen who were accompanied by their young beautiful wives with very short skirts and boots. Go figure!
I only ever used one of the two bedrooms. My room had not been serviced for a couple of days, but I didn't bother with that too much. On the day before my wife and baby arrived, I asked at reception for a cot. I was told it would be an extra $50 a night! This is outrageous, so I decided to complain about the lack of service of my room.
The next day, I found a note under my door from the housekeeper saying that it hadn't been serviced because I was apparently always in the bedroom with a young woman and had the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. I never had a do not disturb sign in the room, and I certainly never had a young woman in bed with me! And this was on the day that my wife was arriving!!!!
I went to remonstrate with the front desk. The lad Tim is in the wrong job. He was sneering and arrogant and generally very unpleasant. He is the sort of chap who probably wonders why he keeps getting his head kicked-in in pubs. Eventually the room manager agreed to provide a cot, and my wife and I were afforded a complementary dinner, but no apology. In fact, he suggested to me that I shouldn't make an issue of this otherwise my wife would find out that I've been having prostitutes in my room!
They insist on a valet parking service, and one morning they scraped the side of my wife's hire car whilst delivering it to her. I saw the manager who became incredibly angry with me, accused my wife of lying, and instructed me to leave the premises immediately. I couldn't find another hotel that night, so I stayed on for one night and left the next morning, despite having been booked in for a further four nights.
I'm a bit of a world traveller, I'm generally relaxed, and I roll with the punches (see my other reviews on here). But the Quadrant was one of the most horrible and offensive experiences that I've ever had.
Go ahead and book if you like being accused of lying and sleeping with prostitutes by hotel management.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business