“Boutique in every sense”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a funky little boutique hotel, which offers excellent value for money. The location is pretty good, and is walking distance to most of the major sites in Auckland. Note that the hotel is at the top of a steep hill however, so this could cause problems for older people.

The rooms were decent, clean and reasonably well appointed. The fully fitted kitchen, including a washing machine, was a great help and can definitely be a boon for travelers on a budget who want to cook at home. The free WiFi is a nice touch. In general, the hotel has a really cool vibe to it. Service was fast and efficient.

If I had one concern about my week's stay, it would be space. The whole hotel feels crammed together. For example, the size of the rooms - especially the bathrooms - was definitely on the small side (you can't get two people in the bathroom standing next to each other). The 'gym' was one smallish room with a treadmill and cross trainer. The spa was equally tiny, as was the bar and restaurant.

Nevertheless, for the price - £40 per day - this was great value and while space it tight, the management have tried to make up for it by packing so many useful things in!

Room Tip: Space is tight, so pay for a larger room if that's a big concern for you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelvincasing
Write a ReviewReviews (1,256)

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We moved from the City Oaks to the Quadrant Hotel because the City Oaks was fully booked when we tried to extend our stay. The Quadrant Hotel is more like a big chain. The lobby is impressive looking, but you do not get a sense of helpfulness from the staff. We were comfortable in our 2 bedroom apartment and the shops, restaurants and attractions nearby were a plus.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sharon T
UdaiSarin, General Manager at The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your room and the location of the property. I am interested on your comments about the friendliness of the staff - one reviewer previously mentioned that we had a friendliest staff around...none the less each guest has different experiences and we as a property must be on to it with each and every guest.

Thank you and I wish you safe travels back to Thailand.

Udai Sarin

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I came home to Auckland from Sydney and decided to book the quadrant for a night so i could have a night out in town

Check in was smooth and relatively quick. the room was spacious - i think we got a superior sized room as when we stayed here previously in a standard room it felt like we were sleeping with a toilet next to our heads.

Decor was simple and nice and everything went well until i woke up feeling itchy.
I looked at the bed and there was dried chunks of blood everywhere (from something biting me) and then saw a flea.. definitely a flea as it jumped and was nearly impossible to kill.

On check out we complained and the manager did not handle this as smoothly as we would have liked. she seemed flustered and didnt show confidence or control when dealing with the situation. however on a positive note this could mean this situation was a new one

We left the hotel and made it clear we were not going to pay.. she rang us about an hour later and said she believed us after checking and saw them herself and said she would not charge us

was disappointed that this hotel which had a good rep ended as a nightmare and ruined my stay in auckland as i ended up feeling itchy for the last days of my stay. Id much rather pay for my hotel room than get attacked by fleas

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Dolarr

Dear Dollarr,

Thanks you for your review and time taken to let others on Trip Advisor know about your experience.

The Quadrant was advised at the time of concerns and we responded immediately to your problems. We have talked to you in detail regarding the events during your stay as well as provided a full refund for the complete stay with expenses.

The Quadrant Hotel Auckland has a comprehensive, independent pest control programme - every room is quarterly inspected - this is far higher than the industry norm. We pride ourselves matters such as hygiene and I can promise you that this is a one off occurrence - in fact we are even looking at bi-monthly inspections as a result of your experience. I therefore thank you and wish you well on your travels - I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Take care

Udai Sarin

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed in a studio apartment, which was very spacious and had a full kitchen setup. The bedroom was separate, which was a nice touch. Good location to the University of Auckland and an easy 5 minute walk to the CBD. The bathroom wasn't very appealing, stark white, but did the job. Free wifi though slow and unreliable in my room. I basically had to stand in the hallway to get decent speeds. I considered the breakfast buffet in the restaurant but didn't think that endless variations on cereal (different cereals, different dried fruits) were worth $19. The lobby and lift / restaurant area is almost painfully hip but if you like "edgy" or "funky" decor, it's great. I liked it better this time than the first time I stayed there but given a choice (this trip was booked and paid for by someone else), I'd probably stay somewhere else because I don't really like the character of the place but that's a personal preference...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is a nice play to stay. Staff are friendly, rooms are clean, service is good.
Its quite a big hotel too that has a bar and restaurant. I have to say the restaurant does not look that inviting though. The specials of the day are't that well priced either. Bar has happy hour daily...which is a bonus.

Free internet with my hotel stay is great. For this i rate the hotel very highly.

On the downside the hotel is located at the junction of a few steep hills, making the daily walk quite arduous, but good exercise.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I booked a 4 night break in Auckland. The central position of the Quadrant made it fantastic for walking to the ferry terminal, restaurants, shops, art gallery. Handy for the universities and parks too.
Room was on the small side and we could have done with some drawers or a shelf unit, but the upside was that it was clean, we had free WiFi, a good size fridge and kitchen facilities.The staff were very obliging and friendly.
We would definitely go there again when we head up from the South Island for a "big city fix."

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Quadrant is a good place to stay in Auckland. It is close to the University, so suited me very well as I was attending a Conference there. I dropped off my bags early before check-in, and returned later. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful. The staff had already sent my bags to my room which was clean and well appointed. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business