“Way to hot”

The Quadrant Hotel and Suites Auckland
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed December 12, 2007

On the plus side the bed was comfortable and the shower had great water pressure. On the minus side, it was way too hot and the traffic noise was terrible and the sheets were a poly cotton blend (scratchy). I complained in the morning and was told they plan to install AC. If they do we would consider going back, the price was right.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 9, 2007

Had a wonderful two week holiday in NZ only to end in disaster.
Stayed two nights at the Quadrant hotel, room was nice but a bit small and very very hot! Opening the sliding door did nothing for the temperature and the humidity of the room but did however let in a considerable amount of noise from the streets and the surrounds.

The first problem I encountered was that I had put the "Do not disturb" sign up before leaving the room, upon arriving back the sign had been removed and someone had been in the room and left the TV/DVD player on. Thank goodness I didn't leave anything valuable in the room!!!

Second problem, I ordered a super-shuttle a day in advance with the concierge for pick-up to the airport and after going through all the details with him, the shuttle was not ordered and nobody at reception knew anything about it when I questioned them. I was left to organise another taxi which left me running late for my flight home.

Third problem, upon check-out they tried to charge me an extra $160 for valet parking (I didn't have a car!), an extension of an extra nights stay (I booked and paid for both nights via the internet before arriving) and other miscellaneous things that I did not order!! Left the hotel extremely worried that not only had someone been in my room but they would be charging my credit card after I had left.

The staff at reception were extremely incompetent, most of them were horrible at giving directions when asked how to get around auckland. Definitely would not recommend anyone to stay at the Quandrant.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank velvetangel81
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We arrived at the hotel at 6am (due to the early international flights) and inquired about an early check-in. The front desk clerk said a room should be ready around 9-10am, so we wandered around an empty CBD for a few hours, trying to kill time until we could check in and get refreshed. We came back around 9:30 to check on the status - and was then informed by another front desk person that one wouldn't be ready for us until after 3pm. We were a bit peeved because if we had known that earlier, we would have possibly gone on a boat tour or morning excursion to take up the entire morning, instead of walking around aimlessly. It did appear that most of the staff was young and inexperienced, although for the most part they did try to be helpful.

We had a one-bedroom apartment, which was pretty tiny itself (about 3/4 the size of a normal Marriott or Hilton studio room), so I cringe at how tiny a studio here must be. It was modern and clean and came with a washer/dryer (although we could never figure out how to actually use it). We had a nice view of the university and park. We were informed by the housekeeping staff the second day that there is a fee for them to come and clean your room - this was a shocker for me since it was nowhere stated on the website, on our bill, or told by the front desk staff. I've never been to a hotel that charged for cleaning - usually that is reserved for apartments or vacation rentals, and that is stated when you pay for the room. I went through all the brochures in the room as well as online and still have yet to find this stated anywhere. It wasn't until I came back on this site and read another review that mentioned it.

When I booked this hotel, I thought it would be a great little find - a modern, hip boutique hotel with a great location and bargain price. Now I see where they have cut some corners to account for the low price - while I still think the hotel is a good value for budget travelers, I personally would probably stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sailornep5
Reviewed November 24, 2007

I won a nights accommodation with breakfast delivered to our room in a radio station competition. Having sent the kids to stay overnight with relatives, I was looking forward to a night in the city with my husband. The staff were lovely and valet parking is s included in the room cost. The hotel is new and the room are nicely furnished, we had a studio and it had a full kitchen ( would be great for longer stays) The bathroom is teeny but clean and modern. Walk to UNI and CBD and the Chancery. The breakfast is delivered the night before to your room and the Danish pastry and muffins come in noodle boxes which aren't air tight so by morning they are inedible even after time in the microwave. This was very disappointing. Would recommend you go down to the cafe for breakfast or walk into the CBD to one of many cafes. The hotel itself has an interesting ambience and I felt I should have been in a hip Asian music video. There don't seem to be any views as such and even at the cafe/bar there are no windows or views. The only real view is on the walk down the entrance ramp as you enter the hotel. Not my first choice as a place to stay in the CBD but possibly if I was visiting the University I might. There is no minibar so shop at the supermarket bottom of town before arrival. The bed was comfortable but I did not sleep well as the room was very hot so opened the sliding door but found it too noisy with the door open.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank IzzieB
Reviewed November 8, 2007

We arrived about 6pm on a Monday to a fairly chaotic forecourt and lobby. The staff appeared harried but controlled and civil. I had booked on the Qantas holiday's website and apart from our being booked under another person of the same surname our rooms were ready.
We had a studio room for two nights; fairly small but with a kitchenette including microwave, fridge and dishwasher. Minimal kitchen equipment though and a warning notice on the door saying that if you let smoke from the room (ie from cooking) out into the corridor it would set off the building alarm and you would bear the cost of the fire service call-out.
The small table as noted by another reviewer is modern but has had a number of holes cut out in a pattern making it a bit unstable.
Bed was comfortable and the whole unit very clean. Small balcony to cater for those of you who must smoke with double glazing to cut down on the inevitable morning city noises.
Very handy to the central city area. Ddin't use the bar/breakfast facilities, as they were sort of tacked onto the fairly narrow corridor to the lift and didn't appeal to us. We dont like to be stared at as if we were goldfish.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple