“Great value!”

Ranked #34 of 66 Hotels in Auckland
Canberra, Australia
“Great value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Great room, good facilities. Big enough for what we needed. Continental breakfast is provided in your fridge - GREAT IDEA!! Washer/dryer combo in one, but be warned, the dryer gets very hot and shrinks clothes!! Ok location, Auckland city mission located nearby and although I didnt have a problem, I did feel uncomfortable walking past. Fantastic prices, booked through expedia. Friendly reception staff. Although I was not impressed that the housekeeper knocked on my door at 0920 asking when I was going to check out when check out was not until 10am! I could also hear buzzing sound-very annoying when awake but not enough to keep me from sleeping. I think it was the central heating. Very expensive to get internet to your laptop in your room although just next door in an auto place you can buy prepaid cards for as little as $3!! Much better than the $15 oak wanted. There is one free computer in lobby as well

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Finnish first
Perth WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

This is handy to a lot of the restaurants in the city. It is self contained so you can eat in as well. The rooms are a bit on the small side, better suited for a couple of single, we had a twin room so we used the 2nd room to put the luggage in. It's modern, and the service was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed here for one night. Payed for the room I wanted the night before...I specifically asked for a room with a balcony they agreed and showed me the room and we therefore went ahead with payment on this agreement and pre-sumption. I get to the hotel the next day to check in and get informed I had to pay a $250 bond or submit my credit card details (this was fine with me BUT this was not communicated to me specifically when I payed for room!) AND to add to the matter when I went to check into room key they provided it was currently occupied and I when I went back donwstairs to confirm with reception he told me there was a mistake and that I had to take the room with no balcony!!!! I argued with him for a bit and had to take the room as it was too late to switch hotels and was expecting some guests soon. I am a current Law Student and am looking into this breach of contract on certain terms and will definetly get back to this hotel on this regard!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Cypress,CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

I guess for the price it is decent, booked it thru orbit got some special promotion with free parking and breakfast. Without it, the parking is $20 overnight. The place is about 10min walks from Skycity, it is downtown-ish Auckland, in my opinion, the surrounding area is a bit ghetto, but that's just how I felt after I went to the Hilton Auckland area..

Room is good size, kitchen, 2 room both with queen bed, a living room, and bathroom. It is nothing of luxury, just basic standard stuffs, if you are not looking for anything fancy, and just a decent place to stay overnight, this would be it.

A side note, our shower head was broken, and a call down to the reception area and was promised to be fixed, but never show up, so that wasn't very good..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Tauranga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

Stayed in one bedroom classic booked on Wotif.com. Included parking. Apartment tiny but perfect for our needs. Clean, all the utensils for self contained provided including washer/dryer, oven etc. Was nervous about staff response after reading previous reviews but every single person greeted us with a smile and offered to help us with our baby etc. Portocot wasmade up in our room which was a nice surprise as we had brought our own. For the price value was excellent, will stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Cairns
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

We have stayed at The Oaks on Hobson many times (6) and every single time I leave thinking that the service just isnt up to standard. I am a creature of habit so we keep going back for the convenience of us knowing where it is in relation to the city.
Next time we will shop around. The price is now on par with a lot of the other hotels in the CBD. My biggest concern is the staff. I have never had a staff member at this Hotel who obviously loves their job. Do they not realise they are in Tourism? Trying to ask for information on where to go, what to see, what tours are great or even just who to reccommend as a hire car option is painful as they have no clue. My confirmation letters upon booking are always impersonal and never signed off with anybodies name. Its just these little touches that makes you feel welcome when they are done.
The actual apartments are fine, clean and tidy, Its just a shame we wont go back because of the service, or should I say lack of.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Berkswell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2010

These self contained rooms were right on the mark for us. We wanted the comfort of a hotel, but the choice to self cater if desired, so this was perfect. Kitchenette also included a dishwasher and clothes washer, which was a nice bonus. Car parking was expensive but that is to be expected in Auckland. Slight downside was the location. It's near to the city centre but I would say it's in the dodgy part of town, be sure to cross the street when walking at night!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple