“Good location..2 bedroom apartment a bit tired”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #33 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Sydney, Australia
“Good location..2 bedroom apartment a bit tired”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We are staying in the 2 bedroom apartment at present. We requested a higher level room as per previous trip advisor requests and got it. The carpet is very stained in our room. Breakfast is ok, nothing to rave over but free nonetheless ! A good location into the Main Street and harbour once you find the short cut and don't have to walk past a not so nice block. The internet is pathetic and you have to get a new code very 24 hours.
The one night we complained about a room cleaning issue, the night manager came and visited us.
Staff that we dealt with were pleasant.
Overall not a bad property!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanne E
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Joanne E
Thank you so much for your feedback. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. There are a number of issues raised in your feedback that will help us improve as a property. I have passed on your recommendations and feedback to the relevant department heads to address.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
Perth
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner last December/January for almost 3 weeks.

Overall it was a great experience, however there were some issues:

1. In the first week our room was getting serviced daily, after that it would get done once a week. I enquired and was told they made a mistake and our rate did not include cleaning. Would've been good to know so I could've tidied a little.

2. The bathrooms are so small your towels get so wet from the shower they need to be changed daily (not to mention they are very thin) not usually an issue, however no one likes a wet towel and because we only had our room services weekly which in my opinion is too long for change of linen we had to hunt down cleaners before leaving.

3. The parking! Whilst I definitely appreciate the parking given the central location the amount of cars they try to cram down there is ridiculous. When we arrived I advised the front desk that I could not leave my keys with them if I had to park in front of someone else as the car we had was an older car with some engine issues. They were fine with that and advised they would just call if they needed it moved. Now I very rarely parked in front of anyone for this reason but the day I had to all hell broke loose. I received a call, I was asleep at the time but threw some clothes on and was downstairs in 2 minutes only to be greeted by a horrible tourist who decided it was appropriate to tell at me for making him wait 2 minutes. I went back to reception and advised this was not acceptable. Nothing was done.

As I said overall it was great, a little small but for the cost including all the Amenities and location I can't really fault it.

Perhaps a helpful tip to management. Limit the amount of cars. It should be a first in first serve not a game of Tetris. It was honestly an accident waiting to happen.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank loveisfluid
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear valued guest
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully hearing from you in the near future.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked this trip directly with the hotel at the last minute, and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout that process. The 2 bed apartment was small, but was very clean and tidy and more than met our needs. I did not book a car park and there were none available when we arrived, but on road parking was available over the weekend and was half price to what the reserved booking would have been. Very close to town - we could walk everywhere. It was nice to get receive the continental type breakfast as part of the booking price. Whilst not 5 star room, it was excellent value for money and I will book there again for short term trips.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Deirdre C
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Deirdre C
It is great to hear that you had a first class stay with us! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Karratha, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed in a 2-bedroom apartment which was very small with very little room to store our luggage.
The room was not particulalry clean, and with an infant who was crawling around ended up with dirty knees and hands as well as finding small bits of left-overs laying around.
Location was okay, within easy walking distance to the CBD and harbour. It is the first time we have stayed in Auckland, so don't really have any other local places to compare this hotel with. It is sub-par compared to similar hotels we have stayed at in Wellington, we would try somewhere else on our next trip to auckland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anth0ny78
Dear Anth0ny78
Thank you so much for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was less that top notch. Any feedback we receive helps to make us better. I would love to have you come back and give us another chance to prove that this is not usual for our hotel.

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Warwick, Australia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The room was so tiny there was nowhere to put the bags. The continental breakfast was cheap rubbish - the same pathetic thing EVERY morning. No choices just get what you are given, any requests are ignored. The staff were friendly and efficient, if you could understand them. The room maintenance was below average. The one good thing was the lovely shower, lots of water and lots of water pressure - was a saving grace. But not enough to have me going back again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, especially on the weekends when all the partiers come for a cheap city room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xanthony
UdaiSarin, Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Xanthony
Thank you for your comments about the complimentary light in room breakfast pack (fresh fruit, freshly baked muffin, fruit juice, spreads, premium tea coffee including Moccana and Dilmah, fresh yogurt and a New Zealand made muesli bar). We are one of the few properties in New Zealand that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests. It is disappointing to hear that our service did not work, as it should have.
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For just my husband and myself we were given a two bedroom apartment! This was too large for us but the price was no different than a smaller hotel room would have been. Room was complete with kitchen and kitchen supplies. Hotel arranged breakfast boxes because we left early each morning. Location was convenient albeit a little sketchy. Nothing extraordinarily good nor bad to note.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear vashka0310
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Take care and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I am staying at Auckland City Oaks and suggest a couple of things to help ensure your expectations are met.
Like many of the other reviews, the location is great with many small supermarkets and two or thee off license liquor stores close by to stock up on supplies.
I booked a one bedroom apartment and was dissapointed when I arrived. Having stayed in many apartments, These rooms are best described as a studio, as they are very small. I checked with reception as to the difference between the official "studio" and what they describe as a one bedroom is that the one bedroom has a balcony.
There is no seperate bedroom, it has very large sliding doors which divide the room. The queensize bed is comfortable, but challenging to navigate around. There are
no bedside tables in this room and I needed to move furniture to access the balcony.
The bathroom is tiny with no natural light and no benchspace.
The continental breakfast is included but is made up of all sweet products including cake, yoghurt, a piece of fruit and a muesli bar and fruit drink.
Kitchen has everything you need.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stuart F
Dear Stuart F,
Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that you found our rooms not up to your expectation in terms of size. Our apartments are much bigger than the standard apartments in Auckland and especially when compared to hotels that are even smaller. Perhaps next time place a request a larger room and our reservations will do all they can to honor your request. For the value that we offer our customers to certainly endeavor to do all we can to ensure you have a pleasant stay at our property.
Take care and I hope you choose us next time when you are in Auckland.