“Good value for the money and good location”
Review of VR Auckland City

VR Auckland City
Ranked #32 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Moscow, ID
“Good value for the money and good location”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed here for 10 in December 2011. It was a great place to stay. Its location was good with good access to the Sky Tower area as well as Queen Street and the harbor area. Its price was good and the 2-bedroom executive suite had plenty of room for me. Everything functioned fine for me and the breakfast was sufficient for my purposes. I did pay for parking for 2 nights and the price on it was a bit high ($20/night), but not unusual for parking in a big city.

Room Tip: I would suggest you request a 2-bedroom executive room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Moscow_IDJla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Finnish first
Nagpur,
Reviewed December 21, 2011

A nice place for staying for short duration. neat, Clean, with full amenities. Easy access to the waterfront, the Harbour, the Skytower, The Shopping areas and good restaurants in Auckland.
the rooms are small but fully equipped. The place has about 110 apartments and all seem to be the same. The Breakfast is dry & inadequate. No wifi in rooms . broadband difficult to connect

Room Tip: Good for short stay, for business travellers
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I had decided to treat myself to one night in Auckland, travelling alone, visiting a friend who lives in Auckland. It wasn't the experience I was hoping for. I was kept waiting a while to check in and told I could leave my bag as the room wasn't ready (this was midday so fair enough). I was shown to a room on the ground floor and put my bag in there. When I went back later to get it, the door was locked so I asked for help and was directed to another door, also locked, in reception. A staff member then opened it and took me in to the office, where there were a lot of men working - very strange!! A room off the office had suitcases in and I eventually found mine in the corner, behind other big cases. The room was very small, it felt quite claustrophobic, and the walls had scratches and knocks on them. There was a plastic razor head on the bathroom floor and hairs in the shower. I told reception when I checked out and there was no apology. The breakfast was VERY basic; a banana, a tiny museli bar and a small muffin - no juice.

On the plus side, it was quiet as I was at the back of the hotel (room 109). I didn't like having to walk past the City Mission but soon found an alternative way into town.

I wouldn't stay there again, I didn't feel very relaxed and checked out early the next morning and headed to a coffee shop.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
ManagerACO, General Manager at VR Auckland City, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Emma,

Thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to hear that our luggage room was not up to your expectations. Our luggage room is a complimentary service we offer to our guests. The room is manned from 9am to 9pm, locked and with security cameras. I appreciate your comments about it needing a re-paint (we only did this 3 months ago but guest luggage's seem to have scratched it again :) - this has now been done and thank you for the comments.

I am glad the room was great and hope to see you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Udai Sarin
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Good:-

-Has a kitchen which was in good condition even though we never used it :P
-good location, right down the road from sky tower
-Cleanish... Lots of scratches and marks on walls etc but nothing crazy.
-Double room was quite roomy
-free internet but only for first hour (which they dont tell you on their website)
-secure, needed a keycard to even get to the elevator

The Bad:-

-The noise from the traffic outside is not good at all.
-The Aircon was poor in the single room but good in the 2 br room... Was bad cause you had to have the windows open on even a warm day otherwise turns into an oven except the noise outside even at 2 in the morning was shocking.
-The Breakfast was not much of a breakfast -.- per person you get a Muffin that is over cooked, An oat bar that was extremely bland in taste, a banana that says it was grown in south america not locally or somewhere from Australia which is close.., and the juice is mango juice everday for a week and it wasnt very good, it was from pakistan.

**also in regards to the homeless shelter others commented on so badly...****
-1. It was not as bad as others say. I walked past there by myself and yeah there were people waiting to be let in for food but they didnt look like junkies or anything lol.
-2. It is obviously council approved or owned privately, so how is it this hotels fault?
-3. It was shut at night so realisticly it isnt dangerous at all.
-4. its 1 block away and we didnt have any issues.

In regards to value for money and location... we would stay there again

Room Tip: The 2 bedroom rooms are quite roomy
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

All round a great place but due to faulty guttering we found the room we were staying in had a constant drip drip drip on the rear ground floor roof which kept us up like Chinese water torture! According to other guests this has been going on for some time (months) and although there has been some building maintenance during our stay this didn't get fixed before we left. Also it maybe the dry season but Auckland quite often has overnight light rain showers and this is when the Drip Drip Drip is at its worst. My poor rating is due to lack of sleep. Please fix the guttering and I'll be back because otherwise I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed December 2011
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Auckland City Oaks was well appointed with a very smooth check in process. A couple of items were not well explained (e.g. how the one hour free internet in the room worked) but overall very good.
The kitchen was good but there was no table space to prepare meals.
We stayed in a one-bedroom studio apartment.
The unit was clean, airy, and plenty of light could come into the room during the day. Windows could be opened for additional fresh air.
Security was good and the secured parking area in the basement was worth the $20 per night cost.

Room Tip: Rooms on the side away from the street (Hobson Street) are quieter. Research room appointments at t...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Clean rooms, facilities all good, neighbourhood safe thanks to Police Station next door :-), and location is very good. Getting in and out by car is a little difficult.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family