“great location, gross room” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers

Surf 'N' Snow Backpackers
Ranked #77 of 106 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
“great location, gross room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

location was extremely good, down the road from the sky tower. Room was very gross! we paid extra for an ensuite which was dirty and the bed sheets were stained! we also had ducting running through our room so everytime someone showered we heard the water running through waking us up and we also didnt have a room with a window. we had friends staying in a double room but without an ensuite and they also had stained sheets but they did get a giant window which gave it less of a shoebox feel.

Room Tip: make sure you get a room with a window and ensuite
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
tahiti
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Bad never go in this hotel they only want your money first dirty and noisy staff never respect guest alcool back front the hotel with staff complicity. Equipment bad kitchen dirty the bad of all place we stay in nz we dont recommend this hotel

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Rotoava

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

County Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Booked a 4 bed dorm which ended up being double booked, we discovered this when we checked in, got our key and went to the room! We were upgraded to a triple ensuite, staff were helpful in making sure we got a room all together. We were told a mattress would be put in for the fourth person. When we arrived back at the hostel at 1am, there was no mattress, had to go hunt one down! Eventually got a mattress and one sheet, had to ask for a pillow! Location was good, price was fine. Room was spacious, even with another mattress on the floor.

Room Tip: Don't expect a smooth check in, give yourself loads of time!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

On arrival there was a problem with our booking which was in no way our fault however we were made to feel as though it was our problem not theirs, after standing our ground they sorted the misunderstanding out eventually. I must say, I found one member of staff really friendly and polite he was a pleasure to deal with, the Manager on the other hand needs some training in customer service!

Despite the mix up we were happy to stay at the hostel as the reception area looked clean and fresh and so I thought the room would follow suit. Oh dear, oh dear!!!! The double room was about the size of a prison cell with no windows. There was a fan (a bonus as the room was very very warm) a small table, some kind of metal storage box (looked like a tool box) and a very small double bed.

As soon as I walked into the room the smell hit me, I thought fair enough its a small room with no windows its just a bit stuffy, then I realised the smell was coming from the bed. The sheets were so old and thread bare - this is something I can totally live with but they smelt like they hadn't been washed in weeks. The duvet cover had stains and holes in it and also smelt really bad, I couldn't bare to have the covers on me.

The shared bathrooms were absolutely filthy!!! There was no toilet roll in any of the toilets and no sanitary bins just some small bins at the side of the toilet which had no lids on so used sanitary items were on full view.

I have travelled quite a lot and I understand that you get what you pay for, hostels aren't luxurious and you have to lower your standards a bit when travelling on a budget, however, the very least I expect is to be able to sleep on clean sheets.

Just when I thought this was the worst hostel I'd ever stayed in, it got worse!!! At around 3.00am several other guests started tearing around the place shouting, screaming and making lots of noise

I couldnt wait to get out of the room, I went to a nearby gym so that I could have a shower as I couldn't face using the showers in the hostel.

I would never stay here again and would definitely NOT recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Find another hostel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JRH81
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

The location was really convenient, cuz of near by main street and easy to access to super market!!! The room was quite tidy, and there was fans, but little bit hot during the daytime, moreover the kitchen was also hot but that was enough space to cook and eat so i was satisfied with this environment. The price was basically cheap so it was also good. The biggest point of this backpacker was that friendly staffs! There was Korean and Japanese, and kiwi who were really polite and kind so i can recommend this place!:)

Room Tip: i used 4 dorm, that was good view so that's good!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank snake0352
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed this backpackers while I was traveling in Auckland. The staff were very friendly and the most good thing was a good location. There are also Korean staff so it was easy to make a reservation for me.
The kitchen was so hot while I was cooking though....I didn't want to cook at the kitchen...

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nataly W
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

I had an awesome time there. Stayed for a week and was really happy with it. friendly staff and they actually clean the rooms. It is really central, with a supermarket and bars just around the corner and not even 2 minutes to the main street. Special deal for staying a week or month and free wifi.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo