“Great food but noisy and cramped”
Review of Ostro

Ostro
Ranked #62 of 2,349 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: OSTRO BRASSERIE AND BAR BOASTS A MENU BY JOSH EMETT, SWEEPING SEA AND CITY VIEWS AND AN INTERIOR CELEBRATING THE SEAFARERS BUILDING'S COLOURFUL PAST. Taking its name from the Italian word for 'a southerly wind', Ostro is a bold New Zealand interpretation of an international-style brasserie, with an upscale yet unpretentious atmosphere and multiple Michelin-starred chef Josh Emett at the culinary helm. Ostro sweeps across the entire second floor of the Seafarers Building, a onetime home to transient sailors which is being transformed by the team behind Ebisu, Tyler Street Garage and Fukuko into six dynamic floors of eateries, bars, a screening room and a private members' club. The Seafarers development's flagship eatery and bar is a literal feast for the senses. An all-weather terrace affords diners breathtaking views of Waitemata Harbour from the brasserie side, while glimpses of Britomart and the wider city can be enjoyed from the more casual City Terrace Bar.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

A group of four of us ate here a week before Xmas so it was busy. However the noise level unlike anywhere I have eaten before. We left early because of that. Food was very high quality especially for the price. Wine list prices however were highway robbery and I noticed the staff were clearly expected to encourage us to order more. I thought the wine prices might be typical for Auckland but two nights later ate at a very good restaurant with much more reasonable wine list with plenty of choice. Go for the food and excellent service but I recommend a weeknight and early booking.

There are newer reviews for Ostro

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ostro has a wonderful fitout, great port views, an interesting menu and a very good wine list. We thought our lunch was extremely pleasant and enjoyed tasty food. However, lunch was marred by intrusive service. While it is nice to have a wait person top up your glass on occasions, I do not expect to have someone lean over me to top up my water glass each time I take a sip from it. Also, having asked that my wine glass not be refilled "because I am driving", I had to then place my hand over my glass because my request was about to be totally ignored. Unfortunate!

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

At last it is pleasing to see a waterside roof top dining venue created and executed with some serious style . Drawing on the expertise of some very proven local hopspitality operators, Ostro delivers an international experience that raises the bar on ambience , service and good quality .

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Eight of us dined at Ostro the week before Christmas, we started with drinks at the bar which had a great outlook over the harbour, the staff were attentive but a little rushed. We were shown our table just before 8 which was in a glass room at the end of the restaurant, the food for both courses we had was excellently presented and tasted great, our waiter was friendly and nothing was too much trouble, would recommend.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Ostro is the worst "restaurant" I have ever been to. Booked in at 8:30 on Christmas Eve, with our booking made some 4-5 weeks in advance, we thought to arrive early at 8:15. They got our booking number wrong, thinking we had booked for 7 people, then 8, but in fact were just 5, not very hard. We were put at a big outside table where we had a cold breeze blowing on us. It took 15 minutes just to have our water poured, at which point we needed to move inside because there was no heating. After a further 15 or more minutes, we were handed food menus. After a total of 35-40 minutes in the restaurant, no one had taken a wine order or asked if we were ready to order food or anything, so we walked out. The wait staff had no idea what they were doing, the maitre d' was clueless and the atmosphere dull. Worst place ever.