Princeton Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Grand Millennium Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$111
$96
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
SKYCITY Grand Hotel(Auckland Central)
$156
SKYCITY Hotel(Auckland Central)
$125
$120
Hilton Auckland(Auckland Central)
$222
$211
  • Restaurant
Cordis, Auckland by Langham Hospitality Group(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
$103
  • Restaurant
Scenic Hotel Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$103
$77
Agoda.com
Hotel DeBrett(Auckland Central)
$194
$189
  • Breakfast included
Crowne Plaza Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$114
  • Room Service
CityLife Auckland(Auckland Central)(Great Value!)
$205
$131
Orbitz.com
$193
$185
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at plenty hostels while travelling around NZ, but this is by far the WORST!

The building is basically a cheap accommodation building for students in Auckland, and when there are empty rooms, it would be rented out to travellers (thus "backpackers hostel").

PROS:
- It's located in the city, but maybe about 5 mins downhill walk away from the main road - Queen St. Also, there's a convenience store just across the street. Plenty of food and shopping options.
- Easy to take public transport from here.

CONS:
- Tiny, disgusting rooms. Don't get me wrong, I've been to hotels in Japan that are about the same size, but at least the rooms were CLEAN and livable.
- Cheapest beds/bedlinen I've ever encountered. They creaked badly everytime I moved, and the pillows were paper thin.
- The toilet.. oh where do I start? There was already another occupant in the adjoining room in my apartment.. so it was filled with her bathroom supplies.. and also her hair. EVERYWHERE. The floor was always grubby and wet. There was no hot water, and the shower would just tinkle miserably. So, I went for 2 nights without a shower.
- There was a funny smell in the corridor always. I didn't know what it was...
- Unfriendly staff.

Overall, I would NOT recommend this place to anyone. And I'm not usually a very picky person when I travel.
To backpackers: there are plenty other hostels in Auckland that are cleaner and cheaper!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank voidod77
Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place is a doss house for the less fortunate in society and those looking to prey on them. Despite having lived and traveled extensively in some of the world's poorest countries I have never stayed somewhere as unsafe or filthy. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Viajeranz
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This place was the worst place I stayed in my life!!
It is dirty, small, stinking, noisy.
Princeton is the hell!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Love T
Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is a student accommodation building which rents out rooms that are not occupied. The rooms are very very small and you'll end up sharing the bathroom facilities with another person/student

The single bed squeaked so much that the person in the other room (of the 'apartment') must have woken up every time I turned around... One night was certainly enough for me!

That said the bedlinen was clean.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I Stayed here twice, first time my boyfriend had rented the place for a week during Exams so i stayed a few times. Because the room was technically not mine, i didn't think too much of it, plus he only paid $40. The double bed is two singles pushed together, i didn't really mind- but there was no floor space left. I had to climb over the bed to get to the other side. The second time, i got the place for myself for 1 night, (interlocking rooms) the kitchen & bathroom is shared with occupants of another room. The guys in the room stayed up literally ALL night, i think they were dealers because i could hear many different random people came in and out of the dorm complex all night and they weren't exactly whispering either. Also when you open the light in the bathroom (if you can call it that) a extractor fan turns on as there are no windows, now everytime when my neighbours or any one in the floors above or below me turned on the bathroom light, there was an unbearably loud vibration noise that sounded like a machine violently breaking down in my room. Perhaps it was just my room, but its not less quieter than a vacuum cleaner operating in my room.

Anyway during that night A lot of noisy drunk girls came through, (the hallwa/kitchen is only wide enough for 1 person, not sure where they all fit) and by 7 in the morning, the girls were literally begging one of the occupants for bus money to get home. It was pretty amusing by that point because i had gone a little insane.

Again, only $40, so my expectations was not high at all, i didn't even complain about the neighbours, terrible services or the ninja vacuum cleaner in my room. HOWEVER, no matter how much an accommodation costs, IT.SHOULD.BE.CLEAN. Simple as that. This is not a shelter, it is an accommodation in central Auckland, this place is an absolute embarrassment to Auckland. I avoided the bathroom as much as i could, it made me feel very sick. Even thinking about it now makes me cringe and rub my arms. The room was mouldy around the windows and it smelled like the back of a restaurant in a dirty old alley.

I could go on forever, I've had a read of the other reviews and no one is exaggerating, it is all true therefore i will not continue to repeat what they've said.

I think they've put up their prices now anyway and the foreign object in the owners/receptionist's back-end have grown bigger. This is the worst of the worst, don't stay here unless you are absolutely desperate or if you wanted to score some stuff with those dealers.

no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not in this building complex.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo