“Stay away from this place!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Princeton Auckland Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #69 of 107 Specialty Lodging in Auckland
Pato Branco, PR
“Stay away from this place!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

This place was the worst place I stayed in my life!!
It is dirty, small, stinking, noisy.
Princeton is the hell!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Love T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Hua Hin, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

This is a student accommodation building which rents out rooms that are not occupied. The rooms are very very small and you'll end up sharing the bathroom facilities with another person/student

The single bed squeaked so much that the person in the other room (of the 'apartment') must have woken up every time I turned around... One night was certainly enough for me!

That said the bedlinen was clean.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Auckland hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

I Stayed here twice, first time my boyfriend had rented the place for a week during Exams so i stayed a few times. Because the room was technically not mine, i didn't think too much of it, plus he only paid $40. The double bed is two singles pushed together, i didn't really mind- but there was no floor space left. I had to climb over the bed to get to the other side. The second time, i got the place for myself for 1 night, (interlocking rooms) the kitchen & bathroom is shared with occupants of another room. The guys in the room stayed up literally ALL night, i think they were dealers because i could hear many different random people came in and out of the dorm complex all night and they weren't exactly whispering either. Also when you open the light in the bathroom (if you can call it that) a extractor fan turns on as there are no windows, now everytime when my neighbours or any one in the floors above or below me turned on the bathroom light, there was an unbearably loud vibration noise that sounded like a machine violently breaking down in my room. Perhaps it was just my room, but its not less quieter than a vacuum cleaner operating in my room.

Anyway during that night A lot of noisy drunk girls came through, (the hallwa/kitchen is only wide enough for 1 person, not sure where they all fit) and by 7 in the morning, the girls were literally begging one of the occupants for bus money to get home. It was pretty amusing by that point because i had gone a little insane.

Again, only $40, so my expectations was not high at all, i didn't even complain about the neighbours, terrible services or the ninja vacuum cleaner in my room. HOWEVER, no matter how much an accommodation costs, IT.SHOULD.BE.CLEAN. Simple as that. This is not a shelter, it is an accommodation in central Auckland, this place is an absolute embarrassment to Auckland. I avoided the bathroom as much as i could, it made me feel very sick. Even thinking about it now makes me cringe and rub my arms. The room was mouldy around the windows and it smelled like the back of a restaurant in a dirty old alley.

I could go on forever, I've had a read of the other reviews and no one is exaggerating, it is all true therefore i will not continue to repeat what they've said.

I think they've put up their prices now anyway and the foreign object in the owners/receptionist's back-end have grown bigger. This is the worst of the worst, don't stay here unless you are absolutely desperate or if you wanted to score some stuff with those dealers.

no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Room Tip: Choose a room that's not in this building complex.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank brenda n
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

This place is disgusting and was the worst introduction to New Zealand we could have had. The "double" room was TINY with 2 singles pushed together with a gap in the middle. The kitchenette was foul with mess/dirt everywhere and with one mug between 4 people. We ate out all the time even though we booked specifically so we could cook for ourselves. The bathroom was moudly and horrible. The bathroom lock didn't work which was awful because I am female and had to share it with 2 random male students.

The guy we complained to was useless and rude. He didn't even take out his ipod headphones when we complained to him and was so arrogant.

We left 3 days early and our complaint email has been ignored. It depresses me that places like this are making money. We are young, easy going backpackers and we have been staying in all sorts of places but this place is unacceptable. You have been warned!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ELJ84
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here for a week while in Auckland for a conference.

I was initially given a room on the the first building. Upon entering, the room was not even cleaned, as if the previous guest just left and they gave me that room to occupy. So I complained about it and they gave me another room from the second building which was okay. The room that they gave me had 2 beds in a very tiny room. For a single occupancy, the other bed just took over most of the space. The room was not very clean either, underneath the beds, you can definitely tell that they are dusty. Moreover, it looks as if the two beds were from one double decker bed that they just put one of the bed down to look as if there's two bed. Mattress was very hard and the bed frames squeaky everytime you lie on them. Toilets and shower are both in the same space divided by a massive curtain. The shower doesn't have any windows or ventilation so its very claustrophobic when you're in. Also the basin is so small you barely can do anything.

With the price I paid around ~40$ per night, I was just after a room to bunk and have my own private place, hence I did not bother much of all of the complaints as mentioned above. However, what I got pissed is that upon arriving one night back to my room, my things got stolen, including my passport and camera to name a few. Since the reception closes around 10pm, I could not complain about what had happened and I had to leave Auckland the morning after the incident happened. I had suspected that it could've been an done by an insider or the other person staying in the other room. I called them the next day to complain about the incident and were not cooperative or supportive. This is when I realized the importance of 24/7 reception desk and proper security. Overall, was not a pleasant stay and would not stay here again and I hope readers would not even consider this place to stay whilst in Auckland for it would just ruin your trip. If you are still considering, always be cautious then even elsewhere in the city. The place does not seem to be as safe as one would think.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank urbanization
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

It was a rush trip thus we decided to book upon reaching the airport through the information centre. It was a rush trip thus we decided to book upon reaching the airport through the information centre. Princeton is one of the worse experiences we ever had. To be truthful, we only paid $110 or so for a night but the overall is so crappy. The room is squeezy thus two person cannot walk at the same time (Ps. We are quite small). And there was still horrible fried food smell that came from the cookhouse below. If you don’t mind smelling like a fried fish the next day or sleeping with a faulty heater , then why not since it was considered low price. We paid for 2 nights as deposit when our total stay was 7 but we forfeited the 2nd night and went off to another lodging which was way better.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank samental
Auckland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

By far the worst accomodation of any sort that we have ever experienced in New Zealand. We booked a double room, were given a twin. I am not exaggerating at all by saying that the 2 single beds occupied at least 98.5% of the floor space. The bathroom sink was no better than a small bowl and it was tucked under the mirror. Absoluetely disgusting. A building like that should have never been designed to be occupied by human beings.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business