“Interesting Food”

Orphans Kitchen
Ranked #158 of 2,450 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: International
Reviewed April 26, 2016

Went with my husband recently as had be recommended to go there by my foodie friends. You cant book so we went early. Shared tables are not really my thing when going out for a meal at night. (Maybe lunch is okay) however the food was amazing and very innovative. Liked the little touch of the free bread before the food was served. Limited small menu and not a lot to chose from.
Did not like sitting so close to other couples when they can hear every word you speak.
Not a great dining experience overall on a rare night out for us. Its not cheap so expect a little more. Maybe good for breakfast or lunch.

1  Thank Sandra S

Reviewed April 17, 2016 via mobile

I think the food is great though a bit expensive and sometimes very sparse given the price.

I would go back to try more. Good for grps

1  Thank Natt28
Reviewed April 16, 2016

The restaurant presents a simple menu of three items per category (entree, mains and dessert). The exact names for each of the aforementioned categories were slightly different but that was my approximation. I like this approach as it simplifies the options for me as a diner and allows the restaurant to concentrate on doing what they do best, I had a line caught fish main, and that was delicious. They also offer wine by the glass, carafe for bottle. I had a lovely carafe of pinot noir (shared of course). However, I was a little underwhelmed by the salad. The dressing was gorgeous but otherwise the salad leaf (single type) that was presented did not inspire my taste buds. I also found the dessert options less than inspiring but that could just be me. The staff were friendly and provided great service.

1  Thank EatLiveNow
Reviewed April 16, 2016

If you're a southern man and like a hearty breakfast this is probably not the place for you. The food will appeal to those who like degustation, unique and creative combinations.

Visited with a group of friends, couldn't really find anything on the menu that's appealing and that was the general consensus in our group (around 10). What I did have was nice enough but won't write to my mum about it.

They also need to up their coffee game, the beans used are good (Supreme is generally very good), but a flat white is not a cappuccino.

2  Thank BarendB_B
Reviewed April 13, 2016 via mobile

First word uttered by a friend after each course. I couldn't have put it better myself. Arrived quite late so several items on the (admittedly short) menu were were not available but the oysters, snapper and sweet were all to die for. Would definitely go again. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable.